Devils' Kovalchuk will test market

overtime98

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even discounting the 05-06 Finals -- because let's face it, there were many flukes that season -- teams aren't as likely to be successful if they don't have one of those step-up, big-game defenders. Case in point, the Washington Capitals thus far. There's a reason many are speculating they'll try to sign Volchenkov; he's not at that same level, but he'd be more defensively reliable than anyone they've had thus far.

As for the Lightning, they might have been a mess, but plenty of other teams could be used in their place. How 'bout the Sharks? Major offensive weapons (Thornton, Marleau, Heatley; Pavelski, Setoguchi), defensive depth but no stud, yearly playoff collapses. Canucks, same story (Sedin, Sedin; Burrows, Kesler, Samuelsson). Or, oh yeah, how 'bout the Devils? A commitment to defense, coupled with Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Zubrus would seem likely to bring success. However, when the defense is Martin, White, Salvador, Green, Mottau, Skoula... all the offensive depth in the world isn't going to get it done.

My bigger point is that teams with offensive depth and a big-time defender are more likely to be successful in the playoffs than teams that spend all of their energy on trying to become offensive powerhouses.

Maybe that explains why the Devils have been drafting so many defenders recently. Even two years ago, when the Devils took Tedenby, Cormier and Henrique, they drafted Burlon and Delahy; last year it was Josefson then a clear focus on defense for the next three rounds, and this year it was Merrill and Faust.

To start off, if the Caps can find a way to not run into the 'Cinderella" playoff team, then they could win a Cup as is. I am a rational person and so I have no problem bashing Mike Green's D and saying that a better defender could help a lot more in even strength play. But his upside on the PP is in fact quite nice.

Listen, I don't want the Devils to just simply be an offensive powerhouse. I also don't want to stop them from having a stud defender directly. I just want Kovy to be signed. Bottom line is each team is different and the Devils need to score more goals to get anywhere. The Devils know how to play defense, time to address the problem areas. Hiring J Mac and Oates is a start.

I'm happy we're drafting all these big defenders. That's how I'd like to add to our defense rather than blowing millions in cap space on a defender that we have gone nowhere with in six years.

Again, In the next few years I'd like to see a Devils team that is developing good young defenders, is defensive-minded AND is scoring on the PP.

Call me crazy, but I still believe Lou will offer to resign Kovalchuk for about $9M a season. Lets just hope Kovalchuk wants to comeback and accepts Lou's offer when it comes....

If he gets that kind of offer, he'll be here with f#cking bells on.

At any rate, I think he'll be back in NJ, and it may not take $9 million. That's just a hunch.

Just relaying a rumor in case no one is reading the HF Boards...

For what it's worth, (I'm a real estate appraiser) Ilya Kovalchuk is a registered home owner in Alpine, NJ. Same town where Britney Spears, Jay Z, P Diddy, Gary Sheffield, and others have homes.

When he was traded here, he rented a townhouse in Hoboken, NJ. So if he indeed just bought a home in Alpine, that says something.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=793635&page=2

It's just a poster on a message board so like he says himself take it for what it's worth.

Just something to add to the excitement of tomorrow's festivities.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Call me crazy, but I still believe Lou will offer to resign Kovalchuk for about $9M a season. Lets just hope Kovalchuk wants to comeback and accepts Lou's offer when it comes....

If Lou signs him for $9 million then we are done. I will save a lot of money on playoff tickets.

There is no market for him aside from the KHL at that price point. I don't see any NHL teams offering that much.

Lou can get him for $5-$6 million IF he is serious about winning.

You know I always thought it would be Manta who would explode if Kovy signs. But now I think I might do so too from excitement. If he does sign I'm starting the "Kovalnuts" fan club and giving Manta founder status. :pray: Please happen.

Oh, did I need to know that you will empty your Kovalnuts if he signs here? :lol:

If Lou signs him for $9 million then we are done. I will save a lot of money on playoff tickets.

There is no market for him aside from the KHL at that price point. I don't see any NHL teams offering that much.

Kings? Flyers? Those are the only two teams that are plausible going after Kovy in my mind if he doesn't resign with us.

Kings? Flyers? Those are the only two teams that are plausible going after Kovy in my mind if he doesn't resign with us.

The Flyers?????? This isn't 2001 anymore. They would have gut their team to sign him right now and they try and play without a goalie.

I don't think the Kings are stupid as "rumored". But if they are then that is only two teams "bidding".

DO you see what you've started Manta? :P

Oh the irony.

Edited by MantaRay

With the players put on waivers, Martin gone, and the cap going up. I can see us working out a deal for Kovy. The problem is is he going to wait until 12 and get another offer a little better, why is he really waiting ? if he really wants to stay dont you think he would just sign?

With the players put on waivers, Martin gone, and the cap going up. I can see us working out a deal for Kovy. The problem is is he going to wait until 12 and get another offer a little better, why is he really waiting ? if he really wants to stay dont you think he would just sign?

The player put on waivers don't make any difference, Pando's salary now goes to Clarkson (and I believe we are still responsible for part of his salary against the cap). God forbid if Martin is gone. Because any extra money has to go for defense, not forward.

He is waiting because his agent wants him to get the most money. He is using time this against Lou and the "KHL" offers.

He is in the drivers seat and he knows it.

$5-$6 million is a pipedream. That is beyond unrealistic. I think the very least we could get him for would be $7ish, which I would be fine with...

Would you get your mouth off of Kovalchuk's nuts already? We know how much you love him, and we know how much you want him to re-sign. It's getting real old, this "Kovalchuk is better than Jesus" and "I just cut a hole in my shorts for Kovalchuk" schpele you have going on. Cut it out already!

Huh?

If the Devils offered him something just below what his asking price is, he can use other teams' offers as leverage to say "hey look Lou, I can go right here for X amount of dollars -- but I'd rather stay in New Jersey as long as you give me Y amount of dollars". Testing the market doesn't mean he's not coming back.

I was just about to say exactly this perhaps in a less clear way. So I'll just hold off and say, "THIS"

$5-$6 million is a pipedream. That is beyond unrealistic. I think the very least we could get him for would be $7ish, which I would be fine with...

So, it's not really about winning then is it? Both Elias and Brodeur signed way below what they could have got for another chance to win the Cup.

He has done nothing to warrant $7 million a season, spending your entire career putting up inflated numbers against sad sack teams in the Southern Division doesn't count.

So, it's not really about winning then is it? Both Elias and Brodeur signed way below what they could have got for another chance to win the Cup.

He has done nothing to warrant $7 million a season, spending your entire career putting up inflated numbers against sad sack teams in the Southern Division doesn't count.

Brodeur and Elias were both home grown talents who were with the organization for years. Kovy is new to the block, and while I genuinely believe he does want to win, I am not so sure his desire to win is going to lead him to take a $2-$3 mill/year paycut...I am sure LA will offer $7.5-$8/year....I could sell him signing here maybe for $7 or so....I hope he signs with us for as cheap as possible, but $5 mill seems ridiculously low, and so does $6 unless we gave him a verryyy long deal....

Edited by ThreeCups

Ha. Kovy wouldn't sign for 7 million if you held a gun to his head. Maybe we can negotiate by offering the possible release of those Russian spies in return for signing a lesser contract.