2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Wretched!

Absolutely repulsive. First Jets team in 20 years to go winless through preseason.. and the first NFL team to score it's first touchdown after 14 quarters, 200 plays! 4 games.. 4 losses.. 1 TD. You couldn't have written a worse preseason if you tried. September 9th can't come soon enough.

Highs from the night.. they weren't much. Like 7 said, Coples had a monster preseason. 4 blocked passes, 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 11 tackles. He gets my vote for preseason MVP.

EDIT: It is also kinda nice to know that your kicker is capable of making 60 yrd FG's too.

Edited by Beezer34

Wretched!

Absolutely repulsive. First Jets team in 20 years to go winless through preseason.. and the first NFL team to score it's first touchdown after 14 quarters, 200 plays! 4 games.. 4 losses.. 1 TD. You couldn't have written a worse preseason if you tried. September 9th can't come soon enough.

Highs from the night.. they weren't much. Like 7 said, Coples had a monster preseason. 4 blocked passes, 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 11 tackles. He gets my vote for preseason MVP.

EDIT: It is also kinda nice to know that your kicker is capable of making 60 yrd FG's too.

take heart, the 16-0 Patriots went 0-4 in the pre season

the 0-16 Lions went 4-0!

The 1992 Jets went 5-0 (back when they played five games)....4-12 regular season

Browning Nagle!

The rumor that eventually went around about him was that he was so stupid he couldn't remember plays. Did have that big game against the Falcons...366 yards IIRC.

The rumor that eventually went around about him was that he was so stupid he couldn't remember plays. Did have that big game against the Falcons...366 yards IIRC.

yes, first game of his career...and the best game of his career. He stared down receivers and threw a lot of stupid picks. His accuracy was pretty awful in general

Jeff Blake should've been given a shot.

The 1992 Jets went 5-0 (back when they played five games)....4-12 regular season

That's when Coslet's players were saying things like "We're the best 2-4 team in football!" Coslet was such a clown.

yes, first game of his career...and the best game of his career. He stared down receivers and threw a lot of stupid picks. His accuracy was pretty awful in general

Jeff Blake should've been given a shot.

That game really bought him the whole season...the Jets were really hoping he'd find the magic again. He threw for 5 TDs and 17 INTs the rest of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Sanchez has never looked better...he has more zip on the ball this year.

Austin Howard completely neutralized Mario Williams (and did it without loads of help either)

Landry is a thunderous hitter...though Im worried about him taking personal fould down the road. He sure leads with his helmet a lot

Hill is thr big play jump ball guy we need (and not the type that vanishes between the 20s like Plaxico) we'll have to put up with his rookie drops for now.

Greene did not run the ball well or effectively power through or shed tacklers. Plus his fumbling issues reared their ugly head again. However...the bills have a great front 4.

Cumberland is looking like a threat in the passing game. Good hands and a load to bring down

9-9.png

So how does a team respond from not scoring any TD's during the preseason? -they put up 50 points in their home opener. :whistling:

There were wildcats.. reverses.. flea-flickers.. everything and anything missing from 7 years of Schottenheimer. And My God did it feel great! Sanchez was the star-of-the-game.. but give the Tebow thing time. He will pay off for the Jets this season, they just didn't need him to today.

This was (in alot of ways) a tough game for the Jets, in the sense it was; Lose-Lose. If the Jets lost, the media would've been relentless. And yet, despite the big win.. it'll be overlooked because it's "only the Bills." The Jets have a big opportunity next week if they beat the Steelers.. not just in terms of beating a better team, but looking ahead after that, against Miami. If we can upset Pittsburgh, it's very possible the Jets could roll into Week 4 with a 3-0 record. Next week is the game to focus on.

Greene did not run the ball well or effectively power through or shed tacklers. Plus his fumbling issues reared their ugly head again.

..and yet, he had nearly 100 yrds and a TD.

You gotta remember bro, the main part of the ground & pound isn't Y.P.C. as much as it's punishing the other team. People won't give credit to Greene for today's game because they'll say; "well yeah he had 100 yrds, but it was on 30 carries." But do you know how hard that is on a back? Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid here, but I think Shonn Greene is the PERFECT back for our offense. If you have a RB strong enough to run the rock nearly 30x, and can get you 100 yrds and at least 1 TD.. that kicks the sh!t out of another teams d'line.

Someone might want to tell the Jets there's still time left in this game now :rolleyes:

I hold this D to high standards bro, but c'mon.. this game ended at 41-7.

In situations where you're up but that many points, you go into prevent defense.. to sacrifice the 20 yrd passes at the expense of running the clock, by defending the run with straight nickle and dime. Don't judge this defense by what you saw in the 4th. (because those plays were layups) This game was as close to perfect as it gets for the Jets.

Those points given up were all garbage time points. I'm not worried. If the Jets struggle this year, it won't be from the defense.

Edit: yes, I'm exaggerating a bit by saying "all points" - the Bills did score a TD in non-garbage time thanks to some poor tackling on Spiller, but woopty doo.

Very exciting to see Sanchez and Hill look so impressive. It's only 1 week, but today gave me a little confidence boost in our offensive skill players' abilities (how can it NOT based on the preseason, anyway?).

Only thing I wasn't crazy for was Wildcat Tebow, which was pretty predictable and took Sanchez off the field at times where he should've remained on it.

Edited by nmigliore

The first CJ Spiller run wasn't garbage time points. Either way, when you let a 41-7 game get to 41-28 with SIX MINUTES left it's a problem. Glad the offense was able to put the game on ice, but Rex was right to call the D out a little in the postgame. And Fitzpatrick was awful anyway, next week will be a better test for the D and the O.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Bills were laughably bad. But the Jets were surprisingly good, given they couldn't put any drives together in the preseason. That was fun yesterday. If Stephen Hill is a real threat, this coould be a different offense. I still don't like Shonn Greene and am very sketptical about Sanchez, but whatever, let's see what happens.

I have almost no worries about the defense. This is the best D-line we've had in years.

I think the secret strength this season for the Jets will be the offensive line.. and look out if that’s the case. Because when Sanchez has the time, he can make the plays.

If you go back and watch the tape from the Bills game, the majority of Jason Smith’s snaps from Sunday came @ TE in jumbo packages. –-and holy sh!t did he look amazing! Maybe he was a bust with whatever he had to work on the Rams.. but he looks very good in how the Jets are using him now.

And then.. there’s Big`Aus. I’m not just saying this because I’m some homer, but Austin Howard at the end of the season might be the most improved player in the league. (and you can laugh at that comment all you want) He looks so fvcking amazing out there, it’s actually fascinating to watch. The guy went from CFL caliber, to NFL caliber in one offseason.. and if he keeps this up, we may be looking at an o’line that has 4 Probowlers instead of 3. Say all you want about it “being only one game” ..but Mario Williams is Mario Williams. *Little known fact; Howard converted to OT very late in his college career.. (and at only 25 years old) ..I’m thinking all the guy may have needed was some extra grooming and TLC for a team to show him.

I think for the next couple of weeks, teams are going to be trying to get at Sanchez with straight defensive plays.. assuming that last seasons reputation of our offensive line being weak will be enough for an easy task. But as the year progresses, opponents will start sending the house to try to get at him.. because they’ll understand that this o’line is for real.

The Bills were laughably bad. But the Jets were surprisingly good, given they couldn't put any drives together in the preseason. That was fun yesterday. If Stephen Hill is a real threat, this coould be a different offense. I still don't like Shonn Greene and am very sketptical about Sanchez, but whatever, let's see what happens.

I have almost no worries about the defense. This is the best D-line we've had in years.

It will be interesting to see how they fare against Pittsburgh without Revis potentially.

It will be interesting to see how they fare against Pittsburgh without Revis potentially.

If they can somehow win this game it would set them up quite well for the rest of the season. Their schedule isn't too difficult and they'd be 2-0 when many pundits probably would've had them at 0-2

We never play well in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers will be a surly 0-1. Brown/Wallace is a tremendous 1-2 punch at receiver and will be nearly impossible to stop if Revis is out. Plus Heath Miller (let's see if the Jets get torched by a TE again this year) On the flip side, their D has age in some key spots and it doesn't seem like they can get to the QB like they did before. Could be a surprisingly high scoring game

If they can somehow win this game it would set them up quite well for the rest of the season. Their schedule isn't too difficult and they'd be 2-0 when many pundits probably would've had them at 0-2

We never play well in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers will be a surly 0-1. Brown/Wallace is a tremendous 1-2 punch at receiver and will be nearly impossible to stop if Revis is out. Plus Heath Miller (let's see if the Jets get torched by a TE again this year) On the flip side, their D has age in some key spots and it doesn't seem like they can get to the QB like they did before. Could be a surprisingly high scoring game

I agree and would LOVE to see Pittsburgh start 0-2. J-E-T-S (3x)

The early part of the schedule is a little rough with this road game against Pittsburgh and then matchups with San Francisco, Houston, and New England in a 4-week span starting in Week 4. After the bye, however, it really gets softer: St. Louis, Arizona, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee, Seattle (some think those last two (three?) teams could be playoff contenders but I'm not buying that all); winning one of the home games against New England and San Diego could be do-able too (ahem, San Diego).

Give me 4-4 entering the bye and I'll be happy; that would require just beating up on Miami (twice) and Indy. If they steal one in Pittsburgh, 5-3 (which would be excellent) could be pretty realistic but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by nmigliore