Fleury Back In Rehab!

Z-Man

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2002/1008/1443071.html

Fleury in rehab for second time since '01 season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Theo Fleury is reentering active care phase of the NHL's substance abuse program, a source told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek.

Fleury missed practice with the Chicago Blackhawks last Wednesday without permission. It was later reported that he left the team to be with his father, who had prostate surgery.

Fleury practiced with the Blackhawks on Tuesday, ending practice by talking with coach Brian Sutter.

Fleury last went into an inpatient substance-abuse program on Feb. 28, 2001 while a member of the New York Rangers. At that time, Fleury checked himself into the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program and had remained in the aftercare program prescribed by the program doctors.

An NHL spokesman said today an announcement regarding Fleury was forthcoming, although the spokesman would not confirm the story nor would he elaborate on the nature of the announcement.

A Blackhawks spokesman said, "As of right now, I have no knowledge of what you're talking about."

It's not known whether Fleury is entering the program voluntarily or whether he tested positive for a banned substance.

After missing practice last week, Fleury returned to the Blackhawks on Friday, saying his father had surgery.

Fleury said his father, 63, was home in Saskatchewan, up and moving about. The family is waiting for test results to see if the tumor was cancerous. Fleury said the news "threw me for a bit of a loop."

As to his missed practices, Fleury told the Chicago Tribune he doesn't "need to answer questions on a daily basis. ... I don't think that's fair."

Fleury is in an aftercare program for recovering alcoholics and said, "I don't think you have a right to comment on what's going on in my life. I have to work on it day to day. I struggle the same as anyone else who has a fatal disease. It's not easy."

Fleury skated on a line with Alex Zhamnov and Sergei Berezin on Friday night as the Blackhawks dropped their third straight exhibition, losing 4-3 to the Blues on a goal in the final minute by Keith Tkachuk. Tkachuk had a pair of goals, and Kyle Calder, Mark Bell and Berezin scored for the Hawks.

This article is quite contradicting. It says he is is rehab but then later says he's not. Then it says he's only recieving counseling. Aftercare Is usually just an out patient thing where yu just meet with alchohol counselors.

It's not so easy getting through the psychological ramifications of substance abuse brings, so please give the guy a break. Little things such as the motality of his father can set you off.

Wish him well hopefully he is just getting help to prevent him from drinking again and not seeking treatment for a relapse.

I just lost a good friend to this disease and it really bothers me when people trivialize it.

Here's a little more info from TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=75...561&hubName=nhl

Fleury suspended indefinitely

Bob McKenzie

10/8/2002

Few of us can possibly understand where Theo Fleury is at right now in terms of his personal life. What we do know, however, is where he's at in terms of the joint NHL - NHL Players' Association substance abuse and behavioural health program.

Sources have told TSN that Fleury, who was suspended indefinitely without pay on Tuesday, remains in stage two of the three-level program. Stage one is when a player first experiences a problem. If a player in stage one is required to miss any game time, he continues to be paid.

Should the after-care program of stage one be violated in any way, the player enters stage two, which can result in being suspended without pay. That's what happened to Fleury in February of 2001, when he was a member of the New York Rangers. As part of stage two, a player like Fleury is subject to random drug testing and must sign an after-care contract, which spells out clearly what he may or may not do.

Sources have confirmed Fleury recently violated at least one of the conditions of his after-care contract. The physicians who administer the program could have, at their discretion, put the player into stage three, which calls for an automatic minimum six-month suspension without pay.

Finnish defenceman Jere Karalahti was recently put into stage three, but he chose to return home to Finland rather than participate in the program.

Fleury will be away from the game as long as his physicians feel it is necessary. In time, when the doctors decide, Fleury can return to the game. Or if he should fail to adhere to the program or the after-care contract, he could be placed in stage three and receive the automatic six-month suspension.

In any event, Fleury won't be coming back until the doctors feel he's ready.

For TSN.ca, I

I was one that wanted Fleury on the Devils (not because of his SIZE) but rather for his spark. I would still take a chance. New Jersey is a better enviroment no major city bars to run to, after game. Role model is Dano, Dano has been there, done that and would be good sponser for Fleury. It's worth the chance, if it works out great, if not no loss. Would only be a win win situation for the Devils which could use a spark. Should be able to buy him cheap, especially now.

I'm not so sure it matters if Fleo is in a big city around bars or not - if he has the addiction and continues to act it out, he'll find the booze or drugs anywhere. I, for one, am very glad Lou never brought this guy on our team because he has WAY too much baggage at the moment. You thought our locker room was a problem earlier; what if we had had him?!?!?!

I understand your point Madd Dog, but in my opinion it's a different locker room problem. It won't effect,IMO, every player each night as present problem does.

Red, I am surprised, others have controlled the problem, there is so much help in the NHL and other sports. I thought Fluery would have a tough time but would handle the control better, due to the NHL help. The help is much More than the common man has that has controlled the problem.

Look at Dano, Red, did you think he would slip?

I feel sorry for anyone with the problem, but if they don't go for help and take it seriously then I don't feel sorry for them. It's all about a support structure and that why I think the Devils could do a better job, if he was cheap and they were, especially Dano willing to help and support.

Theo Fleury turned that Ranger locker room upside down with his troubles off the ice and his antics on the ice. The Devils would NOT have been immune to that just because they are the Devils.

The Blackhawks made a big mistake. I realize that Theo got suspended without pay, but what happens when the docs clear Fleury to play? They can't just get rid of him, Fleury has a 2-year contract. What will they do, tell Bob Probert to hold his hand and keep him out of trouble?

It's utterly pathetic. Hockey's Darryl Strawberry.