MSG broadcast duo have hit an all-time low.

olp

Normally I don't start threads about the Rangers, but watching last night's Ranger game made me so physically ill I felt compelled to start one.

I admit, I was a John Davidson fan and always thought he was a pretty decent color announcer. What the hell happened to this guy? Geez, does he have some sort of disease in which you feel the need to repeat yourself 4 or 5 hundred times? Thought he would be ok last night after he said he wouldn't go on about Kasparitis' "penalty" (which I also thought was a poor call) - but no, JD can't control himself and beats the subject into the ground. He just can't see to let it go anymore. Ok, say the call is bad once or twice - but to keep going on for several minutes gets a tad on the annoying side if you ask me. MSG perpetuates this annoyance by showing replays 4 or 5 hundred times. 2 times guys, show it 2 times and I think most people would understand what happened. Are they saying their fans are that stupid that they have to show things ad nauseum to get them to comprehend? Gee, I hope not.

And what's with the 50 million excuses as to why the Rangers lose? It's really getting bad - JD must have a book of excuses he refers to every loss. My personal favorite was last night's excuse - they're just too tired from killing off so many penalties. And the other lovely - the refs are against them. Sure they got a bad call or two last night - but Carolina didn't? Ha! They didn't rant on for a 1/2 an hour about the mystery "penalty shot". That got a quick 2 replays and a "that's a bs call" - but no 1/2 hour lecture on it. In fact, Rosen said "we'll take it" - stick to football Sam, you make a fool of yourself in hockey. Come on, the refs practically handed the Rangers the game right there - luckily for Carolina, they came out ticked off and scored. JD said the Rangers give up after bad calls - that's a good one. Good thing Carolina didn't. That had to be the worst call I've ever seen. Did a memo go out that the NHL needs more penalty shots or something?

I could go on for hours about these two. It's a shame because JD used to be a good color guy. Now he whines more than any of the Rangers players do. And I didn't think that was humanly possible.

Yeah JD is pretty much down the middle when he's on Hockey Night in Canada.. this

must be another brilliant Dolan or Sather based idea.. be more arrogant in the booth

THAT will win fans over (cause we can't try the winning angle :P )

I have to admit since I pay for the Center Ice every year I don't waste my time

watching Ranger games so I can't really comment on them game in and out :D

He's better on the hnic shows than he is here. He's become such a homer, you cant believe anything he says any more. I think Simon would have to kill someone before he acknowledges the action as a penalty. Yeah, I used to like him too at one time. I think the fact that the team is close to being "there" is trying his patience. :noclue:

Kenny Albert and that Mullen zero guy were a bit better. Lets face it. The rangers forgot how to play the game they had played the last few weeks. After giving up 22 goals in their first 10 games, they went out last night and allowed 6. They panicked after ending the first period tied. Took a lot of bad penalties, what was it-7 straight between the 1st and 2nd periods? That is not winning hockey.

The penalty shot call? It was a mystery to me too.

I think JD and Sam Rosen have been listening to far too much WFAN. That is why they repeat everything 4-5 times.

There is nothing more disturbing then Barry Melrose on ESPN calling for some hot

Kovaluvin on TV ;p (that guy scares me all too often when he gets all hot and bothered

about some young prospect.. he's why I STOPPED watching NHL 2 Night.. well that

and again Center Ice :D )

I was just watching the highlights to the game on NHL.com...WTF are the rags doing wearing their alternates on the road?? :noclue:

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the whole purpose of dark home sweaters was to avoid the 3rd sweater problem! :unsure:

Edited by Nieuwy25

I was just watching the highlights to the game on NHL.com...WTF are the rags doing wearing their alternates on the road?? :noclue:

I was wondering the same thing. I thought they whole purpose of dark home sweaters was to avoid the 3rd sweater problem! :unsure:

Leave it to the rags to screw with it.

Is Dunham hurt? I think I heard something about a groin injury, not sure though.

When they shut out the Stars, I remember one of the two saying that with Markkanen winning it showed the Rangers coaching staff that he can come in and win a game, and that they don't have to rely so heavily on Dunham. So what happens the next game? He lets in five! :P

olp wrote:

Geez, does he have some sort of disease in which you feel the need to repeat yourself 4 or 5 hundred times?

That's called Mike Francesa disease.

I didn't watch the game, but I always felt they make excuses when they lose. No biggie, people have the same impression of Chico. After all, he does give a reason for every goal Marty lets in.

And Velischek, the way he hypes up the Devils you'd think the Devils were winning 6-1; and when they finally say the score, you find it's tied 1-1.

And did MSG ever give an explanation why regarding the uniforms.

I don't think the home team has a choice, unless they have a 3rd jersey; the home team must wear their colors. There must've been an explanation somehwere.

Is Dunham hurt?  I think I heard something about a groin injury, not sure though.

When they shut out the Stars, I remember one of the two saying that with Markkanen winning it showed the Rangers coaching staff that he can come in and win a game, and that they don't have to rely so heavily on Dunham.  So what happens the next game?  He lets in five! :P

Dunham apparently has a pulled hamstring, but, due to his history of groin injuries, they are being very careful about not rushing him back. At least that is the story he was telling in the interview on Sportsdesk last night. For all we know, he could have a groin injury again.

As for Markkanen, he was way too deep in the net on the first goal, and you could tell the 'Canes had been watching tape on him from some of the others. I got this from HockeyRodent.com, btw...anyway, he likes to deposit his rebounds off to the sides and slightly to the front of the net, and there always seemed to be a 'Cane player there waiting for the puck, which seems to be more than a coincindence. The Rangers didn't play well, but I don't think Jussi is going to be a suitable replacement if Dunham has a long-term groin problem.

Edited by SueNJ97

...anyway, he likes to deposit his rebounds off to the sides and slightly to the front of the net, and there always seemed to be a 'Cane player there waiting for the puck, which seems to be more than a coincindence.

He doesn't have the nickname Jussi Rebound for nothing it seems! :lol:

I won't be as tough on Davidson. I've heard him criticize the Rangers plenty of times. He did go on and on about the bad call, though. It doesn't make him a full-fledged homer. I've seen a lot worse, and he's wearing a rug and sitting next to Doc Emrick. :P

Chico does annoy me with his homerism, Jerry ("Whoops, Doc, look, the puck hit a dust speck and deflected right by Marty!!!), but there are a few differences (and not just because he's OUR homer).

First, Doc gives Chico the business (gently, but he does) when Chico goes too far. Especially when Chico is trying to make excuses for Marty. You don't see that with Sam & JD.

Second, Chico doesn't go ON AND ON the way JD has been lately. What the fvck is the matter with him???? He harps on one call and he can't let it go. I actually agreed with him about the Simon major but he whined about it so much I finally changed my mind because he drove me nuts.

Someone needs to talk with him. Seriously. He used to be pretty good even on Ranger broadcasts, a bit of a homer but willing to point things out if they were wrong. Sort of like Doc (although of course we all think nobody can touch Doc). But is he just taking his whining pills before the broadcasts or something????

Sue, maybe Davidson thinks the league is out to get the Rangers! LOL! I think it's weak when hegoes on an on, too. I think he's frustrated by 5 years of crappy hockey, and now he's boiling over. :D

And you're right, Doc does give Chico a verbal nudge every now and then, LOL! It's funny, when Marty gives up a bad goal, Chico immediately looks for the deflected puck. Hahahahahahaha!

StarDew, we disagree. I like Joe Micheletti and Howie Rose, particularly Micheletti. Rose's pronunciation of "Elias" is annoying though.

Edited by Jerrydevil

It's ok we disagree Jerry...we are all different and have different likes/dislikes...Micheletti doesn't bother me much...Rose on the other hand :argh:;)

btw...Rose cannot pronounce Langenbrunner correct either...all sportscasters need Doc's dictionary of how to pronouce players' names :D

btw...Rose cannot pronounce Langenbrunner correct either...all sportscasters need Doc's dictionary of how to pronouce players' names :D

Does he pronounce it like Thorne - Lahhngenbrooner? :argh:

No...short u like in fun but ends with ahhhhhhh ...how one makes a mistake with Jamie's name makes one agog :o