The Albany/Trenton Devils Thread

Triumph

whats the deal on sova? is he just a depth PMD or does he have a legit chance to make the devils?

I have never seen him play but I think the Devils have to think he may have some sort of shot at the NHL. Going by his stats he played 3 years in college going 13-45-58 in 115 games. This past year in college he was second on the team in scoring and first for defenseman. Right now he's (statistically) having a good start in Albany going 1-2-3 in his first 5 games with 11 shots and being even.

I haven't found a formal scouting report on him but at 6'3 203 lets hope he can continue to put up points and be another under the radar college signing for Lou.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Frazee is down again with an injury.

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/devils-notes-n-quotes-hobbling-frazee-finishes-game/8588/

After allowing six goals on 23 shots, starting G Mike McKenna was replaced by Jeff Frazee, who appeared to injury his right knee a few minutes after taking the ice. Frazee finished the game, allowing three goals in 11 shots. “He might have tweaked something,” said coach Rick Kowalsky, who didn’t seem to think Frazee’s injury is serious. “He was a little gimpy coming to the bench (on delayed penalties). That’s the first time I saw it.”

Albany lost to Charlotte 5-3. Wiseman had a goal and 2 assists, Zalewski and McIntyre added the other goals, and Henrique continued his productive year with an assist. Here is the gamesheet.

Trenton ended their season with a 5-2 win over Reading. Berube, Germain, and Prough had a goal and an assist, Hayes had 3 assists, and Lerg stopped 31 of 33 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Trenton finishes the year in last place with a record of 27-37-2-6. Here is a link to the player stats for the season. Props to Mike Ashmore for another solid year of coverage.

Albany lost to Bridgeport 4-3 to end their year. Wiseman, Leblond, and Mills scored the goals and Ginand added 2 assists. Here is the gamesheet.

They finish with a record of 32-42-1-5 with 70 points. Here is a link to the team stat page.

Worth noting that Henrique finished second on the team in scoring with 50 points (25-25 in 73 games) and Urbom finished first amongst defenseman with 23 points (2-21 in 72 games).

Zalewski had a tale of two seasons:

With Worcester: 4-17-21 in 50 games

With Albany: 11-11-22 in 31 games

By losing their last 4 they successfully fell all the way to dead last. They were dead last in a few other categories as well as the Albany beat writer pointed out here

league’s worst defense (283 goals allowed)

penalty killing (77.0 percent)

attendance average (3,114)

next-to-last in power-play efficiency (13.7 percent)

other than that and playing 4 home games in AC all is well in Albany. Nice work CL, nice work as always.

Edited by titans04

Thought this was interesting but didn't necessarily require a new thread:

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/ahl-reduces-regular-season-schedule-to-76-games/8674/

The American Hockey League’s board of governors today approved several scheduling measures, including reducing the regular season from 80 to 76 games, beginning in 2011-12.

In addition to the four-game reduction, the league will extend the playing calendar by one week, eliminate all four-games-in-five-nights sequences, and reduce opening-round series in the playoffs to best-of-5.

• 1 month later...

My observations re: Henrique:

His play without the puck seems to be pretty darn good.

Seems to have a nice wrist shot. The goal at 1:45 was pretty nice.

I like where he plays when parked in the slot. He's usually about 4-6 from the top of the blue paint.

His skating looks labored, although he seems get to where he needs to be in time.

Would everybody agree that he's about 50/50 to be on the opening night roster?

I think Henrique will be awesome for us in time. He may need to work on his skating but that's something that can always improve. Twenty five goals in his first AHL season is definitely nothing to sneese at. And he was solid in his first NHL game as well. I'm hoping we'll get to see him in the NHL more often next season.

My observations re: Henrique:

His play without the puck seems to be pretty darn good.

Seems to have a nice wrist shot. The goal at 1:45 was pretty nice.

I like where he plays when parked in the slot. He's usually about 4-6 from the top of the blue paint.

His skating looks labored, although he seems get to where he needs to be in time.

Would everybody agree that he's about 50/50 to be on the opening night roster?

With a strong training camp, I'd say the chances he makes the opening night roster are better than 50/50. Same with Urbom, unless the Devils choose to send him down for more development for another season.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13094/future_filled_with_promise_for_struggling_new_jersey_devils_ahl_affiliate/

It was a rough season for the Devils parent club, and it wasn’t much better down on the farm in the AHL for the return of the baby Devils to Albany. The injuries, early season struggles and constant roster shuffling in New Jersey made it nearly impossible for new bench boss Rick Kowalsky to ice the same lineup on a game-to-game basis. The team was forced to use an astounding 47 players this year, putting an enormous strain on not just their team, but the Devils ECHL affiliate in Trenton as well.