The Albany/Trenton Devils Thread

Triumph

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be nit-picky (ok - to be nit-picky) the Devils AHL rookie goal record is actually held by Brendan Morrison - 35 goals for Albany during the 1997-98 season.

yeah. other players who had more as 20 year olds: steve sullivan, kevin todd, patrik elias. still, that's good company. brendan morrison doesn't really count because he was 22.

Edited by Triumph

Morrison was still a rookie - why wouldn't he count? A 22 year old coming out of college isn't really different than a 20 year old coming out of juniors.

what? the level of play in college is higher and morrison is older, so, yes, it is different. comparing henrique to morrison doesn't make much sense, that's the point i was trying to get across. i don't really care about the record.

Edited by Triumph

Encouraging. I hope Henrique looks better at the NHL level than Josefson has. Yikes.

You think Josefson has looked bad?

I mean, he obviously needs to get a bit stronger and that will take a couple of years but in his limited ice time and with so-so linemates I think he shown fairly well. He makes smart decisions with the puck and looks very calm and confident. Just hope they keep him as a center and not a winger.

I am going to side with Risky here. When you watch Josefson play, you can see the potential. In the meantime, you can also see he is currenly overmatched at this level.

That's not really "siding with Risky" because I never said I thought he wasn't overmatched. Like I said, he needs to get stronger and more experience, but he has gotten very little ice time and almost never on the top two lines. IMO he should be in the AHL full time but I just don't think it's fair to react with a "Yikes" to Josefson's play. With what he's had to work with, I like the way he looks. I'd still rather he be getting top line minutes in all situations in the AHL.

Morrison was still a rookie - why wouldn't he count? A 22 year old coming out of college isn't really different than a 20 year old coming out of juniors.

I would argue there's a huge difference. Just the 2 years of physical maturing is big.

Note: Caruso, Nagy, and Thomas are back in Trenton.

Albany was shutout 1-0 by Norfolk. Frazee stopped 38 of 39 shots in the loss. Here is the gamesheet.

Trenton lost the lead late in the 3rd and eventually the game in overtime against Greenville. Caruso stopped 35 of 38 shots and Ginand and Nagy were the goal scorers for Trenton. Here is a link to the gamesheet.

Albany defeated Adirondack 5-2 thanks to an offensive surge by Vasyunov with 2 goals and an assist. Zalewski continued his strong play since coming over, adding a goal and an assist, which was also matched by Anderson and Urbom. Henrique had an assist. Here is the gamesheet.

Trenton was shut out 3-0 by Gwinnett. Caruso made 43 saves on 45 shots in the loss. Here is the gamesheet.

Albany fell 4-3 to Adirondack thanks to 3 3rd period goals by the Phantoms. Frazee made 28 saves on 32 shots and Henrique added another goal to his impressive rookie campaign. Here is the gamesheet.

Trenton was defeated 4-3 by Gwinnett. Ginand had 2 goals, an assist, was a +2, with 9 shots in the loss. Looks like Charleston got himself thrown out midway through the 1st period arguing calls with the officials. Here is the gamesheet.

Albany exploded for 4 3rd period goals, all from Chad Wiseman within ten minutes of play, to defeat Bridgeport 5-4. Gionta picked up 3 assists on those 4 goals. I noticed Frazee didn't dress, not sure why since he has seemed to be fine since returning from injury. Here is the gamesheet.

Leaderer, Nolet, and Stoesz scored for Trenton, with Ginand picking up 2 assist in a 4-3 shootout loss to Reading. Berube was returned to Trenton and got himself thrown out in the 1st period on a check from behind. Here is the gamesheet.

Edit: Some quick notes and updates from Mike Ashmore:

I think the first place I have to start is the “revised” Wheeling deal. According to someone who’d know, Nailers defenseman Mike Gershon did, in fact, fail his physical. So he was sent back to Wheeling and Justin Coutu, for now, has been returned to Trenton. Would not at all be surprising to see him moved again. Jeremy Akeson was still dealt for future considerations…which will most likely be cash for the time being.
Jeff Frazee again went down with an injury in Albany. Frazee injured the middle finger on his blocker hand during today’s pre-game skate. According to Albany head coach Rick Kowalsky, via that link, Frazee should be available next week.
Edited by thefiestygoat

Coutu/Gershon trade voided because Gershon failed a physical.

Akeson/cash ....er excuse me Future Considerations stuck.

Coutu then traded to Kalamazoo for cash, er excuse me again Future Considerations.

So we lose a D there, Pender's on IR, Miller also went on IR.... thanks for the help Chris Lam guess we're not even worth simple bodies anymore; gotta pay for that next road trip. Obviously the gate doesn't pay the way since no one shows up most of the time; playing shorthanded will be sure to fix that.

wonder if Kevin Dean is having second thoughts, surely he didn't think he'd be held out to dry to this extent. Surprised they don't dump Caruso, sign Felice to a contract and dig up one of our other ebugs and sign him as well.

Guess there's time yet for that though.

All that and what's left of the team tied Reading three times before falling in the shootout. Kinda like running a pony in the Kentucky Derby though, try as he might there's just not enough horse.

GARBAGE.

Coutu/Gershon trade voided because Gershon failed a physical.

Akeson/cash ....er excuse me Future Considerations stuck.

Coutu then traded to Kalamazoo for cash, er excuse me again Future Considerations.

So we lose a D there, Pender's on IR, Miller also went on IR.... thanks for the help Chris Lam guess we're not even worth simple bodies anymore; gotta pay for that next road trip. Obviously the gate doesn't pay the way since no one shows up most of the time; playing shorthanded will be sure to fix that.

wonder if Kevin Dean is having second thoughts, surely he didn't think he'd be held out to dry to this extent. Surprised they don't dump Caruso, sign Felice to a contract and dig up one of our other ebugs and sign him as well.

Guess there's time yet for that though.

All that and what's left of the team tied Reading three times before falling in the shootout. Kinda like running a pony in the Kentucky Derby though, try as he might there's just not enough horse.

GARBAGE.

It's very sad what is happening in Trenton...no effort at all to have the personnel needed to win.

Then they call up Lerg on Wednesday, now they send him back down and bring Caruso up.

They have NO IDEA WHAT THEY’RE DOING, and in the words of Chris Lamoriello they don’t care about the people that aren’t there – meaning they’re just fine with all those empty seats.