Worst NHL Trades ever

devilsadvoc8

rolston would never have amounted to anything more than pandolfo in the devils. the most he could have turned into here was maybe bobby carpenter (not the young pre-nj carp's, the older, defensive forward carp's that we all grew to love here) No way rolston becomes the player he is today if he stays in this system. Conversely, no way he becomes the player he is today if he hadn't played in this system and studied hard under lemaire. You can say that about a lot of players who have come through NJ too - holik, mogilny, lemieux, etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i mentioned renberg and reichel earlier, basically, my thought is that whatever toronto paid, it was too much, those guys amounted to basically nothing up there, were paid way too much to do so, and whatever t.o. gave up, it was too much.

If someone can recount the Chris Gratton trades as well, I'd like to see just how bad those all were. Buffalo was dancing the day the dumped his arse for briere, now phoenix is wondering who slipped the drugs into the water at the meeting that prompted that one. Does anyone remember the philly/tampa/buffalo deals that preceded it?

Gratton went to Philadelphia for Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis, a wash since Renberg was terrible in Tampa.

Gratton went back to Tampa for.. Mike Sillinger? That one I forget.

Gratton went to Buffalo for Brian Holzinger and Cory Sarich.

I can see why Phoenix dealt Briere, but why straight up for Gratton, I don't know. He was having a good season in Buffalo last year, but a good 20 games does not a 1st line center make.

A few more bad deals or good deals. Sens get Lalime for Ted Donato.

Oilers get Jason Smith for a fourth round pick.

Habs screw their team this year by first trading Recchi to the Flyers for Zubrus and a pick then trading Damphousse to the Sharks for a 5th round pick.

Nashville trades Greg de Vries to the Avs for a pick.

Edited by devilsrule33

Here are the Gratton deals:

-Signed as a free agent by the Flyers August 14, 1997.

-Traded to Lightning along with Mike Sillinger for Mikael Renberg and Daymond Langkow December 12, 1998.

-Traded to Sabres with Tampa's 2001 2nd round choice (became Derek Roy) for Cory Sarich, Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger and Buffalo's 2000 3rd round choice (Alexander Kharitonov) March 9, 2000.

-Traded to Coyotes in exchange for Daniel Briere March 11, 2003. :blink::rofl:

Here are a couple of other deals:

Kris Draper traded to Detroit by Winnipeg for future considerations (???) June 30, 1993.

Kirk Maltby traded to Detroit by Edmonton for Dan McGillis March 20, 1996.

Shean Donovan traded to Avalanche with Sharks' 1998 first round choice (became Alex Tanguay) for Mike Ricci and Avs' 1998 2nd round choice, which was later dealt to Buffalo (drafted Jaroslav Kristek).

That Donovan deal from the Pens to the Flames for Mattias Johansson and someone else doesn't look too bad now for Calgary either.

Heres a toss up. Devils trade Rolston to Colorado for Claude Lemeiux and a 2nd round pick which turns out to be Matt Demarchi.

They got HALE in that deal too; part of the deal was a switch of first-round picks. We picked Hale, Colorado traded their (lower) pick from us as part of the Bourque deal.

There used to be so much debate over that deal on AOL it was absolutely ridiculous. And (to toot my own horn a bit) I said over and over let's see what Lou does with the picks before we make final judgement on the deal - since everyone else at the time saw it as 'just' Rolston for Lemieux :P

While I will never say it was a bad deal ( we did win the CUP that year so its hard to dipsute any moves) if I couod bring back one player from all the trades Lou has made...it would be Rolston...was my favorite Devils at the time, Sullivan would not even enter the equation...

Numerous awful trades in the history of the NHL and the Devils have made a few questionable ones in the past but..............

............trading Souray for Malakhov was indeed the worst.

Malakhov was the worst defenseman to ever wear a Devils sweater. He contributed absolutely zero in our 2000 Cup win and was an overrated embarassment every time he laced 'em up. A complete disgrace. I would take (and I never thought I would say this) a dozen Ken Suttons over Malakhov. What was funny however, was the Rangers grabbing him thinking they were getting another Bruce Driver from New Jersey. And we all know how well Malakhov worked out for the Blueshirts.

Oh yeah, Odie is still in the league. Pheonix would be my guess. I remember hearing his name during one our games this season....

Note: I'm gonna stop posting. Cause RD always beats me to the punch. And is more accurate. (-:

Edited by Don.Whiting