Worst NHL Trades ever

devilsadvoc8

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't matter who or how much $ was involved. that is the single biggest deal in the history of the nhl. It brought hockey into mainstream america. It put skates on kids all across the u.s., the great one in hollywood, the publicity and boost to the league was the single most enormous event in the nhl. Bad for edmonton? yeah in the stanley cup scheme of things, but realistically, they weren't going to pay him the $$ he was looking for, so they used him as a source of revenue to fund their operations for a couple years. They did win without him too - beat the bruins and ray bourque in 1990 (??).

doesn't matter who or how much $ was involved. that is the single biggest deal in the history of the nhl. It brought hockey into mainstream america. It put skates on kids all across the u.s., the great one in hollywood, the publicity and boost to the league was the single most enormous event in the nhl. Bad for edmonton? yeah in the stanley cup scheme of things, but realistically, they weren't going to pay him the $$ he was looking for, so they used him as a source of revenue to fund their operations for a couple years. They did win without him too - beat the bruins and ray bourque in 1990 (??).

I, as a Canadian, think that trade destroyed hockey. It gave the game great publicity, created interest and gathered a lot of money in the USA. The boom was so big, that the bust had to come at some point. As the popularity of the sport grew outside of the mainstream roots, the salaries and ticket prices grew well past what the old-time hockey fans could afford. And the expectations were too high - Gretzky couldn't remain 30 forever. Now it's not so cool to be a Kings fan. Fans expect Wayne Gretzky and come out to see Wes Walz. I don't mind, but the casual fan does. Maybe Sidney Crosby can change that. Or the economy has to adjust to their being fewer American fans.

NJCroMag, Atlanta selected Brylin in the 2000 expansion draft, but the Devils re-acquired him that day for Sergei Vyskedevich and Kevin Dean. Not only did it save one of the most versitaile forwards, it got rid of the hated Kevin Dean.

How about Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont for Michael Grosek?

Darryl Sydor for Doug Zmolek is another terrible one.

Great trade for Dallas. But Sydor was "done" in LA. I forget what happened, but he had lost his confidence completely and LA just didn't see him as being the player they thought he'd be. Thankfully, they were wrong! :clap:

Didn't the Stars trade Todd Harvey to get Brian Skrudland & Mike Keane at the '98 deadline? THAT was a steal!

An example of a good trade for both teams - Nieuwy for Iginla.

NJCroMag, Atlanta selected Brylin in the 2000 expansion draft, but the Devils re-acquired him that day for Sergei Vyskedevich and Kevin Dean. Not only did it save one of the most versitaile forwards, it got rid of the hated Kevin Dean.

Geez...how the heck did I miss that one? My apologies.

I don't remember who was involved, but I think the boston folks still consider the Esposito to the rangers deal a knife in their back.

Basically it was Jean Ratelle and Brad Park for Esposito and Carol Vadnais.

But the trade after was the worst ever.

A young and promising Rick Middleton for an over the hill Ken Hodge.

This was done by the Rangers to accomidate Esposito so he could be reunited with his buddy Hodge. Middleton went on to 50 goal seasons, Hodge basically went out of the league.

Looking back at a few trades that were not huge but didn't turn out so good. When we got Malahkov for Souray. it looked good on paper but Souray has turned out to be a very good defenseman. I would love to have him now. In the deal we also gave up a second round pick and a prospect.

Leafs get Bryan McCabe from Chicago for Karpovstev Amazing trade for the Leafs.

Rangers trade Mike Knuble to Boston for Rob DiMaio

Calgary trades Giguere to the Ducks for a second round pick.

Islanders get Weekes, Scratchard and Muckalt from the Canucks for Felix Potvin.

Tampa trades Cloutier to the Canucks for Adrian Aucoin then the Lightning trade him to the Isles for Mathieu Biron.

Heres a toss up. Devils trade Rolston to Colorado for Claude Lemeiux and a 2nd round pick which turns out to be Matt Demarchi.

Those are some trades that maybe at the time didn't look bad but over time didn't work out so well.

How about Jordan Leopold for Andrei Nazarov?

I'd dispute Malakhov for Souray.. without Malakhov we don't win the Cup, and Souray is incredibly injury prone.

Rolston for Lemieux and DeMarchi was a bad deal? I guess you think that Rolston and Pahlsson for Andreychuk and Bourque was a bad deal too, since Andreychuk and Bourque are no longer Avs? Any deal that helps a team win a Cup can't be a bad deal.

Doug Bodger to Buffalo for Tom Barrasso was pretty bad.

Miro Satan for Barrie Moore and Craig Millar is up there.

Edited by Triumph

agree and disagree tri. i don't mind losing souray as he's been hurt a ton and is a step below colin white imo. but malakhov was terrible. i absolutely hated him. other than his one goal in game 2 vs. the leafs, i don't feel that he contributed at all to the cup in '00. It burns my ass that he's front and center right next to Arnott in the cup picture on my desk too.

sorry sund, gotta disagree, Malakhov was not terrible, if you want to look up terrible, see what Colin White did with Sean O'Donnell as his partner vs. having Malakhov there. Malakhov was not great, but White would have been even worse without him.

Rolston would have never blossomed in New Jersey, he didn't fit in, and never really did. He was floating after he got his new contract so Lou sent him out.

Souray was plateauing in New Jersey. The rumor was we had sent Brylin for Malakhov.. thankfully, we didn't. Souray's having a good season, but we would've never stuck with him.

Leafs and Flyers fans wish they could make deals this 'bad.'

Edited by Triumph

Reichel and Green for nothing? They got him for Danny Markov, who's turned himself into quite a good defenseman. Granted, he was never going to be that in Toronto, but still, Reichel is terrible and Green is worse.

Renberg isn't that good either.

Toronto has made some decent trades, but there's a reason why they haven't made it to the Cup Finals. They haven't made the deal that will push them over the top.