Playoff Matchup Possibilities

Derek21

The following standings are courtesy of nhlmedia.com's Full Statistics release for today, December 29th, 2003.

Yes, it's early. But these standings include actual seeding. Some teams are already playoff locks. So, let's look at playoff contenders and try to figure out who the pretenders are.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST DIVISION

GP W L T OTL GF GA PTS

TORONTO ( 1) 37 21 7 6 3 106 88 51

OTTAWA ( 5) 35 17 10 5 3 110 76 42

BOSTON ( 6) 36 13 10 9 4 88 92 39

MONTREAL ( 7) 37 16 15 4 2 85 87 38

BUFFALO (13) 36 14 18 3 1 79 97 32

ATLANTIC DIVISION

GP W L T OTL GF GA PTS

PHILADELPHIA( 2) 36 18 6 8 4 101 77 48

NEW JERSEY ( 4) 34 19 6 8 1 85 56 47

NY ISLANDERS( 8) 35 17 15 2 1 101 93 37

NY RANGERS (10) 34 13 13 5 3 93 90 34

PITTSBURGH (15) 35 8 19 5 3 73 126 24

SOUTHEAST DIVISION

GP W L T OTL GF GA PTS

ATLANTA ( 3) 38 19 15 3 1 114 113 42

TAMPA BAY ( 9) 33 15 12 5 1 77 73 36

FLORIDA (11) 37 12 16 7 2 78 99 33

CAROLINA (12) 35 11 14 8 2 64 80 32

WASHINGTON (14) 36 11 21 3 1 94 113 26

Eastern Playoff Standings

GP Record Pts

1.Toronto 37 21-7-6-3 51

2.Flyers 36 18-6-8-4 48

3.Atlanta 38 19-15-3-1 42

4.Devils 34 19-6-8-1 47

5.Ottawa 35 17-10-5-3 42

6.Boston 36 13-10-9-4 39

7.Montreal 37 16-15-4-2 38

8.Isles 35 17-15-2-1 37

9.Tampa 33 15-12-5-1 36

10.Rangers 34 13-13-5-3 34

11.Florida 37 12-16-7-2 33

12.Carolina 35 11-14-8-2 32

13.Sabres 36 14-18-3-1 32

14.Capitals 36 11-21-3-1 26

15.Penguins 35 8-19-5-3 24

I made the cutoff Ottawa. At this point, the Leafs, Flyers, Devils, Thrashers and Senators should all be in. Barring a second half collapse, these five should all qualify. The only question is will Atlanta win their division against Tampa or will the Lightning make up the difference with five games-in-hand?

Eliminate the Pens. They were done before the season even began. The Caps have the talent to move up. But with only 11 wins and 36 GP already, the deficit might be too big this time. The Caps are a 2nd half team but they have a lot going against them. Florida will probably drop out. They have played 37 games already and only have 12 wins. The biggest tiebreaker is wins. Florida isn't ready for the playoffs. If Carolina had more wins, they'd have a decent shot. But the bottom line is despite rocksolid goaltending and D, they don't score enough. The Sabres are probably too inconsistent to make a run. They do have some scorers but until they make Noronen the #1 goalie, this team can't be taken seriously.

In essence, we're eliminating seeds 11-16. Those teams have minimal chance of coming back from where they are.

The Bruins have been struggling. They have good players and an impressive rookie duo in net and on the wing. This team should make the playoffs. But they only have 13 wins in 36 GP. That works against them. The Bruins will be fighting it out for the final spot in March and April.

Montreal is decent but it's really all about the goalie. I am not sure they will make it. But they will also be vying for one of the final two spots.

The Islanders are legit. That seven-game losing streak didn't bury them. They showed a lot of character coming back. They're a good team and play with passion. They will be without their top player for three months. But I think they are a resilient team and could even move up and take the sixth spot.

Tampa Bay is too talented to miss the postseason. They have the advantage of playing the fewest games in the conference. They already have 15 wins and 36 points. They can move up. They have already lost a couple of times to Atlanta though. That season series might decide who takes the Southeast. I'd pencil in Tampa Bay for the playoffs. It's just whether they'll be a 3 seed or a dangerous 6 or 7 seed that could give a higher seed fits.

Then there are the Rangers. This team is too inconsistent to get a read on. Their talent is probably the best in the conference. But they have a fragile goalie with groin problems and an enigmatic talented scorer that doesn't score. There's also one of the worst defenseman in the league taking its toll on their best player. They have played 34 games and only have 13 wins. With the kind of schedule they have left (5 against Devils, 5 against Flyers, 2 against Senators, 4 against Isles, 3 against Thrashers, 2 against Lightning), I just don't see them coming through. The tiebreaker of wins already works against them and their second half schedule is murder. Once again, the Rangers will compete for the final playoff spot but the odds are stacked against them.

So, this is what I see:

1 Leafs vs 8 Bruins- Toronto has proven they will be there all season long. Boston's talent should win out over the Canadiens. Boston doesn't have enough guns who want to get dirty to win this series.

2 Devils vs 7 Islanders- Might be the best first round match-up. Teams are evenly matched on D and up front. But the Devils have the advantage in net. This would probably go 6 or 7 games with the winner coming out battered. I'll say Devils just because of Brodeur.

3 Lightning vs 6 Thrashers- Once again, the two Southeast playoff teams should meet up. This series could depend on how it's played. But the Lightning's experience should win out.

4 Flyers vs 5 Senators- So, if this actually happens, how would you like to be a Flyer fan if they lose? This would probably go the distance and be nasty. I think Ottawa's mental edge might be too much.

Barring a mild upset, I think these will be the eight playoff teams in the East.

BUFFALO (13) 36 14 18 3 1 79 97 32

The Sabres are probably too inconsistent to make a run. They do have some scorers but until they make Noronen the #1 goalie, this team can't be taken seriously.

Wait, I thouht they were in the rise according to you, what happened here??? Believe me, they will and always will be a joke, Goli$ano should have saved his money and their fans money, they are all $ucker$!!!

Philly

Toronto

Atlanta

Ottawa

New Jersey

Montreal

Isles

Boston

Boston is freefalling, I doubt they'll pick it up, either. I don't know if they can hold on to a playoff spot.

They did this last year too, lead league early, fall out of playoff spot, fight back to make playoffs. There is way too much talent up front to keep on sucking.

I'm not sure Boston OR Atlanta will make the playoffs. Atlanta's wildly inconsistent. Maybe if they hang in there until March and Heatley comes back they can get enough of a boost to make it but I'm not sure they will otherwise. Boston's swoon is even worse than last year; last year was more gradual. And they can't fire/scapegoat the coach this time; it's a different coach. Plus Thornton is doing his best Jason Arnott impression. Since he started bitching and moaning about the obstruction earlier in the year he looks like he doesn't have a heartbeat.

Montreal could well make it this year; not only is Theodore returning to form but they're getting contributions from unexpected sources like Souray and Dagenais :blink: That's the mark of a winning team. I suppose the Isles will make it at this point unless they let another fourth line center go on waivers :P

Leafs

Flyers

Bolts

Devils

Ottawa

Boston

Atlanta

Rag$

I hate to say it, but the Rag$ will make their return to the postseason this year. I can see a hot streak--maybe even with a new player or two added early next year--and an eighth seed. T.O. should blast them in the first round, but they'll make it in.

The Flyers are going to have to answer that goalie question at some point. It'll probably be a Sean Burke-type, and that means a second-round exit. But they'll roll Atlanta.

Devs/Sens....who knows? I think we have their number, but they could be one offensive d-man away. Although in goal, we have a slight edge :evil:

I'd take the Bruins over Tampa.

Sort of a funky year that could go a number of ways. Although the Devils are in good shape right now, it's only eight points down to the eighth seed. The conference is dangerous this year, as at least 10 teams have a legit shot at the postseason.

<JESTER>

Philly

Toronto

Atlanta

Ottawa

New Jersey

Montreal

Isles

Boston

Boston is freefalling, I doubt they'll pick it up, either. I don't know if they can hold on to a playoff spot.

They did this last year too, lead league early, fall out of playoff spot, fight back to make playoffs. There is way too much talent up front to keep on sucking.

Yeah, but can lightning strike twice? They look even more lost this time around than last season, and the competition isn't getting any lighter...

Then there are the Rangers.  Their talent is probably the best in the conference.

This is an outrageous statement.

How can you say this?

Besides The LHRB, who else you puting there? Leetch has slipped a bit this year, but he still is great, but other then that, their talent is too old, fragile, and what was once great was left on their previous teams.

Who has more talent? Maybe Ottawa and the Flyers.

Rangers talent- Lindros, Holik, Nedved, Messier, Kovalev, Carter, Lundmark, Leetch, Malakhov, Poti

Senators talent- Spezza, Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Bonk, Chara, Redden, Phillips, Lalime

Flyers talent- Roenick, Gagne, Williams, Comrie, Recchi, Amonte, Handzus, Johnsson, Pitkanen, Desjardins

Devils talent- Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Elias, Gomez, Friesen, Langenbrunner, Rupp, Martin

Lightning talent- Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Stillman, Modin, Boyle, Kubina, Khabibulin

Maple Leafs talent- Sundin, Roberts, Nolan, Nieuwendyk, Mogilny, Antropov, Stajan McCabe, Kaberle, Belfour

Islanders talent- Yashin, Kvasha, Czerkawski, Hunter, Parrish, Aucoin, Hamrlik, Niinimaa, Jonsson, DiPietro

Note: Not every player on these lists have the numbers to back up their talent. Talent isn't something that every player has. Some have to work harder than others just to be effective players (i.e. Madden, Rucinsky, Schaefer, etc.). If all the talented players applied themselves, they could be a whole lot better.

Man, i would Hate to have the devils play the isles in post season if they continue to play the way they are... Damn where did they come from.... on paper they are good, but they are playing great hockey right now...

Jerry, take a look at our D pairings. Which one is killing us?

Kasparaitis-DeVries: These two are +10 and +14 respectively. They have become the #1 D pair to go against other lines.

Malakhov-Mironov: They work well together and both are on the plus side of the ledger. Their only flaw is dumb penalties.

Leetch-Poti: An abomination of a D pair. They have wasted Leetch with the worst defenseman since Zarley Zalapski. Just call Poti Zalapski Lite.

I don't think the D is as bad as you make it sound. If you check the goal differential column, you'll notice that the Rangers have scored four more goals than they have allowed. When was the last time you could say that at this juncture of the season for them? That basically means they've been in almost every game. And more often than not, it's been the inconsistent goalkeeping of Dunham that's not making the big saves.

I say get rid of Poti for a figure skate. Recall Tjutin and pair him with Leetch. If he does well, then he stays. If not, they have Bouchard in their back pocket, who's much more reliable than Poti. Trade Carter for anything. The team is better off without those two.

What I find is that when the team sticks to the system Renney wants, they play well. P.S. Rheaume fits in like a charm.