Larry Brooks: Parise deadline is late June

Jerrydevil

From Larry Brooks' column this morning:

If the 26-year-old winger hits the open market during the summer of 2012, he will become unarguably the greatest player in NHL history to attain freedom at such a young age. And if he gets there as a Devil, it will mark a catastrophic failure for the proud franchise that once stood tall over its neighbors but has been brought to its knees through a series of fiascos since the start of the summer.

Here's the crux of it and here's what makes this such a difficult situation. In order for the Devils to restore the natural order, the deal must be complete by this year's Entry Draft.

If Lamoriello cannot convince Parise to take the money the Devils will throw at him, if Parise is either unwilling or unable to commit to a lifetime of hockey as a Devil by late June, then the GM is going to have to hold an auction for his best player in order to secure as much young talent and as many high draft picks as possible as quickly as possible.

Entire Larry Brooks column

I would like nothing more then to see Parise signed a long deal. At this point, he and Kovalchuk are our future and to not take advantage of keeping Parise in our roster while hes sitting there at home......

Come on Lou, sign Parise.

I still don't think Lou should do anything until he can see Parise skate again.. Knee injuries are super delicate and serious.. Could be an issue for him the rest of his career, so there is no point in giving him a ton of money before you know how he's recovered.. At the very least, we'll all be holding our breath every time he falls in the ice

The best part of the article:

Mattias Tedenby, young, fast, positive and unencumbered by the paralysis infecting many of his teammates, is the anti-2010-11 Devil.

So naturally he has been scratched three straight games by Jacques Lemaire, who apparently believes giving minutes to Adam Mair and Brian Rolston are critical to the rebirth of the franchise.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/pack_up_zach_vsWUpfuOCMU1lHhoAuy0RM#ixzz1AYO4hoVl

I still don't think Lou should do anything until he can see Parise skate again.. Knee injuries are super delicate and serious.. Could be an issue for him the rest of his career, so there is no point in giving him a ton of money before you know how he's recovered.. At the very least, we'll all be holding our breath every time he falls in the ice

Lou might not be able to afford to wait that long. It's kinda impossible to "court" a player while telling him, "Let's see how your knee is." If you were Zach Parise, would you like to hear that? If I heard that, I would make up my mind to leave.

The best part of the article:

Mattias Tedenby, young, fast, positive and unencumbered by the paralysis infecting many of his teammates, is the anti-2010-11 Devil.

So naturally he has been scratched three straight games by Jacques Lemaire, who apparently believes giving minutes to Adam Mair and Brian Rolston are critical to the rebirth of the franchise.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/pack_up_zach_vsWUpfuOCMU1lHhoAuy0RM#ixzz1AYO4hoVl

Yeah, I agree 100% with Brooks' opinion. A young player who has shown he can hack it in the NHL should not be scratched on a team with no playoff berth in sight.

Honestly the fact that Tedenby isn't allowed to play while Rolston, Mair, Pelley, Sestito, and Arnott get minutes no matter how bad they are sucking just ANGERS me. It's so hard to blog about this team right now. I feel like saying LEMAIRE: WHAT THE FFFFFFF ARE YOU DOING?!

Honestly the fact that Tedenby isn't allowed to play while Rolston, Mair, Pelley, Sestito, and Arnott get minutes no matter how bad they are sucking just ANGERS me. It's so hard to blog about this team right now. I feel like saying LEMAIRE: WHAT THE FFFFFFF ARE YOU DOING?!

At this point, what could it hurt sitting Sestito and giving Tedenby a shot. It also blows my mind that JL wasnt jumping at the bit to get Josefson back up after a few games in Albany.

The internet has raised the stock of above-average players significantly. Parise is a good player, but definitely hasn't proven to be in the Top 10, and the most significant free agent of recent history. Larry Brooks is off his rocker. Parise has two good seasons, and all of a sudden he's superman.

If Parise walks, then so be it.

I'll take four #1s for him. At least the #1s will be motivated to work for their money, unlike most players that once they get their contract, start sucking wind more than someone working the corner on 42nd street....

Parise should not be signed for more than what Elias is making right now. He cannot come close to Ovechkin/Crosby/Kovy money just yet.

To be fair, I don't think Tedenby's been nearly as effective recently as he was in his first bunch of games with the Devils. That's not just looking at stats, but looking at his decision making and his scoring opportunities. I know the whole team's in a funk right now, but I'd rather see Tedenby in the AHL until the Devils figure out just what the hell the roster should be for the rest of the year. Once all the expendable players are shipped out, then just give the young guys the ice time. Until then, I'd rather Tedenby get 18 minutes a night in the AHL than 9 in the NHL.

I firmly believe Tedenby's going to be a good complementary scorer with a shot of being truly dynamic. That being said, he clearly needs to get stronger first.

To be fair, I don't think Tedenby's been nearly as effective recently as he was in his first bunch of games with the Devils. That's not just looking at stats, but looking at his decision making and his scoring opportunities. I know the whole team's in a funk right now, but I'd rather see Tedenby in the AHL until the Devils figure out just what the hell the roster should be for the rest of the year. Once all the expendable players are shipped out, then just give the young guys the ice time. Until then, I'd rather Tedenby get 18 minutes a night in the AHL than 9 in the NHL.

I firmly believe Tedenby's going to be a good complementary scorer with a shot of being truly dynamic. That being said, he clearly needs to get stronger first.

So send him down to Albany! Sitting in a luxury suite as a scratch doesn't get him game experience and strength. I was also surprised there's been no indication that Josefson will be back up with the big club after he conditions. We kind of need both of them next year... Also, why isn't Urbom up? They were so high on this kid and he can clearly play but he was nervous. He's been down in the AHL now past the halfway point... bring him up!

I don't get what the hell this franchise is doing in ANY category.

Lou might not be able to afford to wait that long. It's kinda impossible to "court" a player while telling him, "Let's see how your knee is." If you were Zach Parise, would you like to hear that? If I heard that, I would make up my mind to leave.

By the same token, it's tough for a player who's out with a knee injury, possibly for the entire season, to expect a lucrative contract offer, no matter how good he is. Can't say that I blame Lou for taking a careful approach, for the time being, especially when the payroll situation for the next season or two is in flux.

Assuming Parise gets a clean bill of health, I can see VBK going over Lou's head and making a long-term contract offer before arbitration. If it falls through, the message will go out and get the best return possible, with the added bonus that you can prevent him from ending up with the Rangers (i.e., working out a trade that involves giving the receiving team an opportunity to negotiate a long term deal ahead of time).

I would have no problem with Tedenby being sent to the AHL as Josefson was, but to have him sit in limbo as a healthy scratch game after game is just pointless. If you're not going to play him, bring up a non-prospect as a spare emergency forward. Don't keep the development of one of the most important prospects in our system in abeyance.

Also, why isn't Urbom up? They were so high on this kid and he can clearly play but he was nervous. He's been down in the AHL now past the halfway point... bring him up!

Urbom should not be called up as things stand now. It's clear he isn't ready yet.

While I have no problem giving young guys a chance when there's nothing to lose, even if it's just for the short term, you can't do it for someone who got absolutely schooled earlier in the season.

So send him down to Albany! Sitting in a luxury suite as a scratch doesn't get him game experience and strength. I was also surprised there's been no indication that Josefson will be back up with the big club after he conditions. We kind of need both of them next year... Also, why isn't Urbom up? They were so high on this kid and he can clearly play but he was nervous. He's been down in the AHL now past the halfway point... bring him up!

I don't get what the hell this franchise is doing in ANY category.

I believe triumph pointed out in another thread that is better for the Devils long term to have Josefson finish this year in the AHL since if he plays past 9 games it kicks something in with his contract or something.

The internet has raised the stock of above-average players significantly. Parise is a good player, but definitely hasn't proven to be in the Top 10, and the most significant free agent of recent history. Larry Brooks is off his rocker. Parise has two good seasons, and all of a sudden he's superman.

I'll take four #1s for him. At least the #1s will be motivated to work for their money, unlike most players that once they get their contract, start sucking wind more than someone working the corner on 42nd street....

Parise should not be signed for more than what Elias is making right now. He cannot come close to Ovechkin/Crosby/Kovy money just yet.

Depends who you're getting the #1s from. If it comes out to two or more top ten picks then it becomes a good return. Four picks past number 20 is unlikely to get you an impact player. (For every Mike Richards, there are four Bobby Sanguinetti's).

Also, from a PR standpoint, you have to do everything in your power to make sure he doesn't end up in a Ranger uniform.

I think Brooks pretty much sums up how we all feel on Tedenby and what we can expect with Parise.

Brooks point is correct though in regards to the risk of a one year deal (there is risk for both sides), but if Parise is insistent on hitting and testing free agency, Lou has no choice other than to move him. You cannot even risk losing Parise to free agency for nothing.

I don't mind Tedenby being scratched. It sounds like he was banged up a little, and even barring that, his defensive awareness needed work, so concentrating on hard practices versus games would have been good for a little bit.

It's his first year in North American hockey, there is almost no chance his body was prepared for how big a grind that is, so he was going to need time off anyway or he was going to be pretty bad by the end of the season when his legs had nothing left to give. Worst case scenario is his body is worn down in game 78, he can't pull off something off that he thinks he can, and he ends up blowing out a knee that affects his skating. That scenario can always happen, but it's more likely to happen to a worn down player.

Best post of the thread, Re: Tedenby.

Until then, I'd rather Tedenby get 18 minutes a night in the AHL than 9 in the NHL.

I actually prefer having Tedenby get 9 minutes in the NHL. He's too fast to learn what he needs to learn in the AHL. Tedenby needs to learn to play against the big and strong defenseman in the NHL, in the AHL his skating will allow him to cheat too much. Tedenby seems like an incredibly fast learner on the ice, to my eyes from the preseason to now, so I want him making the mistakes and paying the price for them right now.

Parise should not be signed for more than what Elias is making right now.

You're freakin' dreaming. Glad you're not the GM who's gonna play hardball with a player who has done nothing but produce in NJ and would have teams lining up to sign him to a big contract (this is a $75 million player).

Oh, and that you lumped Kovalchuk in with Crosby and Ovechkin ... I hope that was for dollar purposes, because he isn't the player that those guys are, and he never will be. Kovalchuk isn't even in Parise's class when you take all aspects of the game into account. You'll never see Captain Kovy here ... god, at least I hope we never will.

We won't get 4 #1s if he walks in 2012. If he doesnt sign long term this year, he's UFA next season. Its highly unlikely anyone will present an offersheet to him as an RFA this coming offseason.

Brooks definitely is smoking the hyperbole bong, but there are some points in there.

That could be why Lou hasn't spoken to Zach at all about the contract.. If he talks to him and says he's waiting to see how Zach heals, then you're right Zach would be mad.. But if Lou just avoids talks altogether then he can wait to see how Zach heals without telling him that