bad news

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

This really sucks. What the hell are the Devils going to do with an arena that is empty when they are not on the ice. This really scares me because the Nets are locked in until 2007 (three years away) and that is if they do not buy out their lease contract.

Time to get involved guys and gals.. :(

devils will soon follow, 9.4 million lost even though they won the cup, great. :(

last games attendende 11 thousand against the sens.

This story is the NAIL in the COFFIN, i'm done supporting this team, i just done, there is NO hope.

avs vs stars, the winner of this game if my new favourite team.

1998 (when I got interested in hockey) - jan 15, 2003 i was an nj devils fan

goodbye :(

BTW, you guys have been great posters and all, good fans, too bad there is NOT enough nj devils fans @ attendence.

~NJ_Devils_Fan has left njdevs forums~

I am sure the Avs and Stars are going to play extra hard knowing this guys fandom is on the line.

The Devils haven't moved neither have the Nets yet. There are tons of factors to happen before we see them playing in Brooklyn.

Edited by Joe Mac

yeah calm down part of being a devils fan is living in constant fear of the team being moved, if we hadn't won the cup in 95 we may have ended up being the nashville predators.

i remain confident that the financial shape of the league will be fixed with the upcoming lockout. Canada is too important to hockey for it not to change, and too many canadian teams are losing money, hell too many teams period are losing money.

blame it on brendan byrne and building the arena in the middle of a swamp

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

devils will soon follow, 9.4 million lost even though they won the cup, great. :(

last games attendende 11 thousand against the sens.

This story is the NAIL in the COFFIN, i'm done supporting this team, i just done, there is NO hope.

avs vs stars, the winner of this game if my new favourite team.

1998 (when I got interested in hockey) - jan 15, 2003 i was an nj devils fan

goodbye :(

BTW, you guys have been great posters and all, good fans, too bad there is NOT enough nj devils fans @ attendence.

~NJ_Devils_Fan has left njdevs forums~

BANDWAGONERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The fate of the Devils is not tied to the fate of the Nets. I mean, geez people, the Devils are OUTDRAWING the Nets this season.

As a Devils fan, I still hope the state comes to its senses and builds an arena that can be accessed by public transportation. The Nets? F$#@ them, and I'm a Nets fan. Go to Brooklyn, and then watch what happens when the Knicks get back on track. There'll be more people going to see the Cyclones than the Nets...

<JESTER>

Actually I do think the Nets will draw for the simple reason, most Brooklynites will accept the Nets since there is an attachment with any team in brooklyn. Like what happened with the cyclones.

Plus are we really convinced that Isiah will make the Knicks matter?

First of all, the Bloomberg administration is making far more promises than it can keep. To build a West Side Stadium and Olympic complex for the Jets and 2012 Olympics, a Brooklyn Arena, a renovated Yankee Stadium all in a time when the economy of New York is in the crapper is simply terrible timing. He's committing political suicide if he gets up in the next State of the City address and says "Er, well, I would have balanced the budget, but, um, hey guys! We've got a new basketball team!" They have a $2 billion budget deficit for next year and will likely have an even larger one the year after.

Second of all, had the Newark Arena not run into a stonewall by the Bergen Republicans who demanded that if they were to lose an arena they needed something to replace it, the arena would've been built by either this past summer or the beginning of next season. It would have been a full beautiful project with a MetroStars Stadium, a hotel, two office buildings and retail. Now the MetroStars are going to Harrison, the Nets are going to Brooklyn (supposedly), the Jets are going to Manhattan (supposedly), and the Devils are losing money (definitely). Whitman screwed the teams over by going to bat for the Bergen Republicans and their demand that the Meadowlands be saved. There is nothing to save now except a megamall that won't be built until earliest 2008. BTW, you guys do realize that the Nets' and Devils' leases run out at the same time in 2007 meaning that chances are by the time the wonderful Xanadu project is up and running there will be a racetrack, the Giants, a minor league baseball team and an empty arena in the Meadowlands to go with the new megamall which, BTW, was an extreme necessity for the economic development of exactly what?

Third of all, once in Brooklyn there'll be fans. It'll be easy to get to the arena, if it ever gets built, and there'll be access to plenty of rabid fans which Brooklynites are certainly a basketball obsessed population. The problem is not the fan turnout when they get to Brooklyn. The problem is how can they afford to hemorrhage money for three years while the arena is under construction? They got 9k turnout the other night? Once it is official that they're off to Brooklyn they'll play to 2k a night at playoff time. They can't survive for 3 years in hostile territory and given the fact that Rattner as yet doesn't even control the land he's trying to build on and has a massive campaign against the construction of the project in general going by the population that currently lives there, they won't even be able to break ground for another year and a half. Brooklyn fans won't travel in large numbers to NJ to see a team that isn't theirs yet and NJ fans won't shell out big money to go to games for a team that is going to leave in three years. The Nets will go bankrupt.

Fourth of all, an arena for the Devils alone in Newark COULD work if Chambers pulls it off. The Wild, Sabres, Peguins, Senators, Hurricanes, Predators, Canadiens, Oilers, Flames, Lightning, Blues, Canucks, and Islanders all play solo in their arenas. Many of those teams are in financial disrepair but many aren't. The Blues for example do well and they're the only game in town in a nontraditional hockey market in the center of a city that has worse crime rates across the board than Newark and with one tenth the mass transit that Newark has. It is possible and in fact could even be better for the Devils to be the only game in town.

I hate this state. NO pride, whatsoever. The politicians don't even care about it. Our city, Newark, should be their priority. Sell outs. All of them. Why don't they just carve up the state, give the south to PA and the North to NY. Seems that's what they work for anyway. The Nets to Brooklyn, but in the meantime we have another team playing in Jersey that will call themselves NY? :angry:

I think this could be a silver lining. I'm looking at it as NJ can support one pro team but not two.

First, whatever corporate $ went to the Nets will go to Devs. The big NJ companies aren't moving to Brooklyn and they will still want to entertain clients, now that there's only one real game in town . . . . . If the Jets leave, even better. And all that matters is corporate $$$---sorry to break the news but they don't care about your $30 seats and you're having a few beers b/4 going into the arena. They would rather sell $250K luxury suites and seats with high margin hot dogs.

Second, some nets fans will buy Devs tix---that should help marginally.

It certainly complicates the arena issue but I think a Newwark arena needs to be built regardless. What is the CAA w/o its two tenants.

Also, politically, its a lot easier to let the Nets leave than the Devils. The Devils are the only championship thing ever to be associates with the State.

Finally, while the economy is improving, I don't think you'll ever see those sweetheart deals cities used to give in the late 90s. And with many southern teams struggling financially . . . . . No pun intended but sometimes the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't

the only way CAA works, is if NJ Transit builds a link from that new Seacaucus transfer station so that its accessable by train from NYC, and essentially, anywhere in NJ through the transfer station, although very few NJ residents would choose to take the slow NJ Transit trains to get there as opposed to just driving.

The key to the meadowlands, both the arena and the race track, is to open up NYC to it via train. There's rail tracks laying all over the place out there, use some eminant domain authority and take over what ever you have to and just get it done.

But it has to be a direct shoot from the Seacaucus station, not this goofy temporary stop off one of the least used lines that they are planning right now. A real, permanent rail station out there could be seen as a park and ride for commuters, a link to the track and pegasus for new yorkers, and a way for train riders like me to be able to go to a game and then get back on the train to get home, not have to arrange some alternate way home on game nights, and, if xanadu ever does get built, the shopping would benefit from having lower sales tax than nyc, making it attractive to new yorkers for a short, cheap train ticket.