Sather wishes Holik would button it

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Sather wishes Holik would button it

TSN.ca Staff

1/27/2004

New York Rangers coach Glen Sather has a bone to pick with Bobby Holik.

Sather is miffed that Holik continues to use the media as his sounding board to criticize the team's poor play this season.

Following Saturday's 9-1 debacle at the hands of the Ottawa Senators, Holik said the Rangers are "fundamentally ... the worst team in the National Hockey League."

Sather says he talked to the outspoken Holik last year and his agent assured him there would be no similar problems in the future. But it appears a second conversation with Sather is needed.

"I wish he'd be responsible to himself," Sather said. "We do live in America, and there's freedom of speech here, and I think players have the right to voice their opinion.

"But at the same time, I don't think it does the team any good to have internal bickering like that."

When informed that Sather was looking to talk to him regarding his comments, Holik replied, "Yeah, so?"

Holik says the comments weren't meant as a personal attack on Sather.

"I'm sorry if someone took it personally, but it was not meant to condemn anyone but us players," he said. "I was not condemning anyone's job but (those of) the players in the locker room."

"The truth hurts. I'm sometimes embarrassed by the way I perform, especially fundamentally. Everybody has a different personality. This is not the Red Army team."

Teammate Eric Lindros sided with his coach on the matter, saying those types of comments were best kept behind "sealed doors".

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=69813&hubName=nhl

And Bobby's still sleeping well at night.

To Rainier Wolfcastle.... "How do you sleep at night?"

Wolfcastle.... "On a large pile of money with many beautiful women"

What did they think they were getting when they signed him??? Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it!

If Sather could trade Holik, does anyone think he would do it?

No, that would be admitting failure of one of his prize acquisitions. It would also be admitting that he has NO CLUE how to use him...another failure on Sather's part. Sather's huge ego won't allow him to do it.

Of course, I could be all wrong, we could see Sather trading him and announcing that it's all Bobby's fault, that Holik was simply a product of the system in NJ and simply couldn't cut it outside of the Devs. That's the only way he'd do it, though, he'd HAVE to bad-mouth Bobby when he traded him. To do anything else would be to admit failure.

I don't think Sather moves Holik. They've paid him so much money already and his mouth is really the only problem. I think he might find a market for Mr. Holik though, teams like Colorado, Toronto, and Detroit, looking to make a final run before star players leave, would certainly be interested. Holik at 6 million per is by no means a bargain, but if he can play at the high level he did in 01-02, it's almost worth it.

Did he get a no-trade?

Oh, I don't know sundstrom, the reason why Holik got 9 million a season is because he was so in demand. What other player is like him in the NHL? There really aren't many who bring his unique talent, and I'd say he's the only one of his kind: a big center who can win faceoffs, score 25 goals, punish the opposition, and play on the checking line. If Toronto, Colorado, or Detroit got him, they'd become the Cup favorites for sure.

I see Holik as being too stubborn to be traded, not Sather too stubborn to deal him. I can't see Holik going to Sather and demanding a trade, nor can I see Sather asking him if he wants out. Holik's going to finish out this contract as a Ranger because he signed it with a no-trade clause.

As I remember, Holik got a 15 million signing bonus and is now receiving a six million dollar salary.

All I know is, if Holik hadn't burned his bridges, I'd love him back here in Jersey. He's the player we need for that 2nd line.

All I know is, if Holik hadn't burned his bridges, I'd love him back here in Jersey. He's the player we need for that 2nd line.

Too bad he had to ditch us for the ultimate enemy, bad mouth the team, and never thank the fans for his stay in New Jersey...

*sigh*

:argh: But all that matters in the end is that he can sleep at night, so all's well ends well.

As I remember, Holik got a 15 million signing bonus and is now receiving a six million dollar salary.

As far as I know the signing bonuses were not actually up front but are given on July 1st of each year. What matters is they don't count as base salary and therefore aren't subject to being not paid if there is a lockout. Also, in Holik's contract the signing bonus is, if I am not mistaken, much larger during the lockout year than any other year, thereby protecting Holik even more from the potential salary loss.

Much more of NJ's offer was in base salary and not in signing bonus and they were not willing to structure their signing bonus that way.

Why doesn't Holik just say that he hates Sather and the Rangers, and wants to go back to the Devils, but realizes he likes being overpaid whilst undertalented.

Because in Bobby's twisted head, he doesn't believe that. Holik has always been outspoken, this is nothing new. We could never get him to shut his mouth as a Devil, why would he stop as a Rag?

He has his money, and apparently that's what he wants above winning.

He wanted to screw over the Devils for the whole aribitration mess, so he did so. He'd never want to come back here. We "betrayed" him. Whatever.

He can sleep at night. So can I. At least I can sleep at night knowing that my team is a competitor. His team is nothing more than a joke.

Why doesn't Holik just say that he hates Sather and the Rangers, and wants to go back to the Devils, but realizes he likes being overpaid whilst undertalented.

Because in Bobby's twisted head, he doesn't believe that. Holik has always been outspoken, this is nothing new. We could never get him to shut his mouth as a Devil, why would he stop as a Rag?

He has his money, and apparently that's what he wants above winning.

He wanted to screw over the Devils for the whole aribitration mess, so he did so. He'd never want to come back here. We "betrayed" him. Whatever.

He can sleep at night. So can I. At least I can sleep at night knowing that my team is a competitor. His team is nothing more than a joke.

I think losing 9-1 proves your point entirely.

Honestly I just don't want his team to shut him out when :unsure: errr... ummm...IF they get successful now with jagr et al.

These guys are a bunch of tools as far as I can tell and if things go well for the team they don't pull together in happiness & fellowship like the Devils -- they all try to take credit and get attention...it's like they think - "Hey I'm on top again better cash in while I can" Personally I think that's the whole problem with the rag$ "buy the best team" formula (anyone's for that matter). If you feel like a sh!t when you're on top (and deep down I think we all know when we're arseholes and aren't happy regardless of how great the accolaides) then you won't be committed to getting and/or staying on top.

Anyhow -- so Bobby won't have that comradery and in fact I worry they'll give him the shaft. He's a really good hockey player -- a real hockey player and he deserves respect even if he's a loudmouth.

Honestly I just don't want his team to shut him out when :unsure: errr... ummm...IF they get successful now with jagr et al.

These guys are a bunch of tools as far as I can tell and if things go well for the team they don't pull together in happiness & fellowship like the Devils -- they all try to take credit and get attention...it's like they think - "Hey I'm on top again better cash in while I can" Personally I think that's the whole problem with the rag$ "buy the best team" formula (anyone's for that matter). If you feel like a sh!t when you're on top (and deep down I think we all know when we're arseholes and aren't happy regardless of how great the accolaides) then you won't be committed to getting and/or staying on top.

Anyhow -- so Bobby won't have that comradery and in fact I worry they'll give him the shaft. He's a really good hockey player -- a real hockey player and he deserves respect even if he's a loudmouth.

Thats because they all have huge egos because they're overpaid underachievers.

There's a big debate about this on the Cafe from what I read. It's the same reason so many of you were divided on Holik. Me, I see the pro's and cons. He's right in what he says. But it probably should have stayed inside the locker room at a team meeting.

http://newyorkrangerscafe.com/forums/showt...p?threadid=5939

well... see... problem is Derek -- like all of us here Holik just wants to be heard. I'm sure he says it in the locker room and gets no response or not a big enough one for him... so he takes it outside.

He needs someone to say "You're right Bobby - right on the money we all concur 100%" Even then it's probably not enough -- :rolleyes: but who am I to throw stones at the loudmouth... I won the motor mouth award in 6th grade... imagine that! :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Holik is not a cancer, he wasn't a cancer here until he feels he was greatly mistreated. Now, if the Rangers do want to trade him (which would be the right thing to do if he is dividing the room) they have to cover at least 1/3 to 1/2 the salary of Bobby. I'd take him back if that all happened.