Devils to be carried by WFAN soon

Blackjack

Russo: Well, Mikey, six to the hour here on the FAN, and we've got Devils hockey coming up against Vancouver tonight, Joe Recco and the pregame show at the top. Big game for the Devs.

{Several seconds of painful silence}

Russo: So Mikey, whaddya think about my Giants next season?

<JESTER>

:rofl:

Except, of course, it's painfully true. Sigh. It's a scene that will be repeated time and time again.

Devils Will Not Be Bumped..................They will not lose playoff games in April and May to the Mets as far as I know.....Dont forget regular season ends as soon as baseball starts. Something will be worked out.....

Also, the Devils get to select whom they want to be on the radio, although i do believe that WFAN will have signifcant input on those selections.

And also, while Mike and the Dog wont go crazy over promoting the Devils or talking about them.....Somers despite being a Rangers fan, will talk about them, and so will Mac and Sid as well Joe B......Adam Schein is also fairly knowledgeable.

The key here is though, that Devils fans will get a nice crack at calling in to the shows, I know WFAN is major PO'D at how MSG treated them in the negotiations.

this is good for the devils. much more exposure being on any sports station. as fatso and frootloops said today, "devils hit a homerun here."

although, i'll give russo credit...after announcing that they were picking up the devils, russo says, "Brodeur.....10 times better than Richter!" referring to yesterday. was funny.

Hopefully this means we will get a new radio voice. I hate Hennessey.

Fine, send him back to Albany. We loved him when he was here. And after all this time, Jon Scherzer STILL sucks. :(

(For those of you who don't know, Hennessey was the voice of the Rats from their inception until he took the Devils job.)

This is a great thing... the Wfan does a great job of promoting teams on their station, I'll bet Doc will get a weekily spot w/ Mac & Sid and I think you will hear from the Devs players and coaches on the station more often. I hope they put together a coaches report before each game like they do now for the knicks & rangers.....

BTW I g'tee the devs get bumped for the Mets...basebal;l radio broadcasts ( even spring training games) get 3 to 4x the rtatings of hockey...maybe 10x the rating of devs hockey...and its all about the ratings....

This is much better then ABC, especially since ABC will now be the alternate station for the rangers and knicks when there are cionflicts, which would have lead to the devs getting bumped from there ...

From the Ledger:

Tim McCarthy, general manager of WABC (770 AM), the Devils' present home, said the "Devils are going to find out how good we are. But I am happy for them. We totally understand."

Since WABC is a news talk station, McCarthy said the Devils weren't the best fit.

"You always want to keep to the format," McCarthy said. "News talk listeners want to hear that, not play-by-play."

So...what about the fact that the Knicks or Rag$ would spill over to WABC on game nights?

And would McCarthy still feel the same way if the Devils had Sean Hannity and Michael Savage doing the games?

<JESTER>

Mike and The Dog were right, Devils did hit a home run with this, even when they are paying WFAN, because I have no doubt that cross-promotional advertising will be enormous, and expect more interviews and Devils discussion with every show and every host.

WABC is a joke, and I firmly believe that ESPN Radio will lose out on this relationship with MSG, its strictly cross-promotional with no extended payments.

this is horrible, if any of you thought the media treated the devils like the ugly red headed step child nobody liked to talk about before, just wait until a bunch of non-hockey sportscasters who, if forced to cover hockey, would choose the rangers first, the islanders second and probably philly or boston next before the devils, are put in charge of broadcasting devils games - oh, it's going to be awful. Just wait until a stanley cup playoff game gets bumped because the mets are playing the expos in meaningless game #15 of their 180 game season. You will soon see just how bad those pathetic "think they know it all's" can really treat the premier hockey franchise of the metro area, know, tri-state area.

this is horrible, if any of you thought the media treated the devils like the ugly red headed step child nobody liked to talk about before, just wait until a bunch of non-hockey sportscasters who, if forced to cover hockey, would choose the rangers first, the islanders second and probably philly or boston next before the devils, are put in charge of broadcasting devils games - oh, it's going to be awful. Just wait until a stanley cup playoff game gets bumped because the mets are playing the expos in meaningless game #15 of their 180 game season. You will soon see just how bad those pathetic "think they know it all's" can really treat the premier hockey franchise of the metro area, know, tri-state area.

Oh ya, it was a lot better when a bunch of no-nothing political broadcasters hosted a sports broadcast. I'm excited and think the broadcasts and Devils coverage in general will improve

-Scott

rbdf I think you are missing all the positive...first off, ABC used to boot the devs for the yanks, the only reason they donot now is becuase the yanks left abc...

and WFAN has in the past gotten approval fromt he mets to move their may or June games when the Knicks or rangers have gone far int eh playoffs....

This is a great thing...I'm sure the devs will get 100x the exposure they have gotten in past years...

and even stupid talk by the 2 after noon dopes is better then nothing..

hell the Dog's richter /Broduer thing the other fday was great...even if he didn;t have a clue!!!

First off, I think they'll get a short term bump in exposure from this---FAN will do some intial hyping---then it'll go back to normal. Frankly, Don LaGreca is still gonna be the best media Devils outlet in NY by far.

I'd like to know when and where they will get bumped. In law school, I decided not to have a TV and during the 2d or 3d overtime of the Buffalo 94 4OT game they switched to Yanks-Mariners pre-game. I ran all over lower Manhattan looking for a bar showing the game---couldn't find one.

.  Frankly, Don LaGreca is still gonna be the best media Devils outlet in NY by far. 

No doubt..by far the best mouth for the DEVS, Maybe we can hire him for radio play by play???

Also, like someone else pointed out earlier maybe Dano gets a job on the FAN now that the Devils are going to be a part of it...hell he's been on that radio station a lot already with Somers and Ed Coleman, among others.

Yeah, I posed the Dano possibility in a post earlier.....I personally think Daneyko would love it, it brings in a paycheck, hes with the Devs, hes doing radio, and he still gets to spend time with his family (except with the road trip situation).