DEVILS MOVING TO NEWARK

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Devils moving to Newark

Associated Press

2/9/2004

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The owners of the New Jersey Devils agreed to relocate the team to a new arena in Newark that is slated to be completed before the start of the 2007 season, according to a letter sent to Mayor Sharpe James on Monday.

``This is the right move, for the Devils, our fans and for the state,'' Devils president Lou Lamoriello said in the letter.

The team and the city hope to have the 18,000-seat arena open by July 1, 2007. The arena would be part of a complex that would also include an office building, a parking garage for 1,340 vehicles and a 300-room hotel.

The letter did not state how much the arena would cost or who would pay for it. A spokeswoman for James declined comment. Messages left at the Devils' offices Monday night were not returned. A joint news conference with city and Devils officials is scheduled for Thursday.

The Devils and the NBA's New Jersey Nets are co-tenants at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford. The Nets were bought last month by a developer who plans to move the team to Brooklyn, N.Y.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=71600

It's good to see that something is going forward to keep the team here (even though it's not what I'd have preferred :( ). I wouldn't be surprised if the whole complex isn't ready by 2007, though.

3 years from pre-design to completion for such a big complex (arena/hotel/offices/parking) is pretty optomistic. Hopefully they'll finish the arena and parking first.

-Dan

As a fan who has seen this team go from Mickey Mouse to Patrick Division champs to first-round byes to EC finalists to Stanley Cup champions to Nashville bait to Stanley Cup champions to EC champions to Stanley Cup champions, all I can say is...

...I am so f :evil: cking proud to be an NJD fan right now.

Long live this franchise, and God Bless the Devils...

<JESTER>