Devils Sign 42-year-old Larionov

Rock

Devils sign 42-year-old Larionov

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp...vils&league=nhl

Sep 10, 2003

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The oldest player in the NHL will play one final season: Igor Larionov signed with the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday.

Larionov, who turns 43 in December, signed a one-year contract, filling the Stanley Cup champion's hole at center. Joe Nieuwendyk left the Devils to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a free agent Tuesday.

Larionov is entering his 14th season. The Russian won Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

Larionov said he would have retired after last season but changed his mind after the Red Wings were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

"I decided I want another year so I can have another chance to win the Cup," Larionov said Wednesday. "This is my last year."

The unrestricted free agent turned down a $1 million contract offer from the Red Wings in June.

Neither Larionov nor Devils president Lou Lamoriello would say how much the player will earn this season.

"We're a role-playing team, and Igor can play many roles both on offense and defense," Lamoriello said. "He's a quality player."

Talks between the two sides didn't start until a couple of days ago. Larionov spoke with Devils coach Pat Burns on Wednesday and expects to be in New Jersey on Thursday for a medical exam.

The Devils open training camp Friday.

Despite his age, Larionov has been durable. He had 10 goals and 33 assists in 74 games for the Red Wings last season.

"I have been the oldest player in the game for many years now," Larionov said. "In my case, I feel good. I feel excited. I am ready to go and play a full season."

He played on the power play and killed penalties last season, but it's not clear whether he will be on New Jersey's second line -- where Nieuwendyk played.

Nieuwendyk had 14 goals and 28 assists in 80 games with Devils last season.

Until proven otherwise, I have no reason to doubt Lou. I will go on record as saying I like this move and I think Igor brings more to the table at 42 then Joe did at 37. He is durable and plays a hell of a two-way game. He contributes on the PP and kills penalties, that replaces both Joe and Pasqual. (with the exception of the face-offs) I will support Lou with this move and hope, like the rest of you, that he pans out.

Geez, this board has gone from tossing Lou's Kool-Aid onto the wall in disgust to swallowing it down and asking for seconds.

I don't like this move. I *don't* think he brings more to the table, although he will get time with offensive players, which I'm not sure he got much of in his later days as a Wing.

What I am excited about is that Larionov specifically mentions the Cup. I'm also hoping this move has a positive effect on our Russian players and prospects (mostly prospects since the only roster player is Brylin, but Kadeykin and Suglobov have to look at this guy as a hero). I also like the fact that this is the perfect stopgap and I think Larionov would be willing to sit in the press box if Burns asked him to. So, obviously, in Lou I trust, but there always has to be a waiting period...

Geez, this board has gone from tossing Lou's Kool-Aid onto the wall in disgust to swallowing it down and asking for seconds.

I don't like this move. I *don't* think he brings more to the table, although he will get time with offensive players, which I'm not sure he got much of in his later days as a Wing.

What I am excited about is that Larionov specifically mentions the Cup. I'm also hoping this move has a positive effect on our Russian players and prospects (mostly prospects since the only roster player is Brylin, but Kadeykin and Suglobov have to look at this guy as a hero). I also like the fact that this is the perfect stopgap and I think Larionov would be willing to sit in the press box if Burns asked him to. So, obviously, in Lou I trust, but there always has to be a waiting period...

Well admittedly I'm not a big fan of the move either on face value, but let's face it after this season you pretty much have to give Lou carte blanche for at least a year :lol:

Do you think he brings less?

personally I think it's a wash. I may lean slightly more to the Nieuwy side but it's done - turd buffing time -- pass the chami cloth and tall&frosty... kool aid that is!

I was angry when Nieuwendyk "apparently" signed, for some reason I don't think his heart was in NJ. He just never seemed to get comfortable here. I was excited with the youth envasion that is ongoing, as most of you know, I am a fan of our prospects and would like to see a younger team before CBA. This was odd becasue as soon as I heard this I was happy, he is my favorite Red Wing by far, He is intellient, this guy could help Friesen and Gionta have huge seasons if he is on the line.

Like Tri said, this will be huge to Khomutov, Suglobov, Kadeikin and Uchevatov. I am sure he is russia's Lemieux or Gretz. Being in camp with this guy will only push them harder. I also think giving him the A would say something for the europiens on the team. I doubt he will get it but he would be the new euro leader on the team for this year.

I can't wait till camp to see some of the line combos.

Like Tri said, this will be huge to Khomutov, Suglobov, Kadeikin and Uchevatov. I am sure he is russia's Lemieux or Gretz. Being in camp with this guy will only push them harder. I also think giving him the A would say something for the europiens on the team. I doubt he will get it but he would be the new euro leader on the team for this year.

I can't wait till camp to see some of the line combos.

I'm not sure what his presence is going to mean to the young Russian players since it's doubtful any of them will be in NJ for anything beyong training camp. That will be great for them, of course. But other than that, unless Uncle Igor is going to pop in on them in Albany for a pep talk now and then, or he plans to stay with the organization after this year in some capacity, let's not get too hyped up aboot this.

Sorry to bring anyone down, if I did...

I have learned never too doubt the Professor. I was on the Canes band wagon for the finals down in Raleigh and the professor stole the show scored the series pivotal goal in OT in game three.

This move came out of nowhere. I don't really think we need him, but he is a great player to have. Larionov is still a world class player. He is not going get much ice time, but he can teach the younger guys and help them to develop.

I have learned NEVER to question Lou's wisdom.

No, you're right. I wasn't fortunte enough to live in hockey territory before 1993. I didn't even know who Joe was before he came to Dallas :( But I figured as long as we were listing, we might as well list 'em all.

Maybe just "25" would do. He kind of is *the* 25 in the league, isn't he?

I'm sure there are a few others, but this very second I can only think of one other #25 offhand (well he wore it when he was with us anyway) :lol:

Yeah, he's #44 now.

But what I mean is, isn't Nieuwy the player most associated with #25 around the league? I know there are others, like Damphousse and, I think, LeCavelier (sp?), and what's his face in Philly - the big guy. Maybe it's just my prejudice showing.