BRING ON THE SENATORS

HellOnICE

The Devils will have their hands full with this Ottawa team. For whatever reason many experts and fans have been sleeping on this Senators team but they have a boat load of talent and are just a solid hockey club through every position. People have been talking up the Sabres all year long but I really feel that Ottawa is the team to beat in the East

The Devils can beat Ottawa but they could lose just as easily. Unlike Tampa, the Devils will be playing a real team this time who can actually roll some lines and play defense. It's not going to be easy to win thats for sure. With that being said, if the Devils can get past the Sens, I really think we have the makings of a cup team here. Ottawa is just as good as anybody left in the playoffs. Beating them would be a huge accomplishment.

I think the reason that people "sleep" on this Sens team is because for half the season they floundered around and were around a .500 team. After Christmas they went on a run and got ona roll, and at the end were right there. The bottom line with the sens in my opinion is this. Again the big advantage for the Devils will be between the pipes. Yeah Emery has been good and hes this and that. Lets see what he does in a 7 game series against a team that isnt going to give up 5 goals a game like Pitt did. When he is pressed and the scores are 2 - 1 in the 3rd, or 3 - 2 finals, can he stand up to it?? I think Marty showed what he is made of (even though the beginning of the series he was playing off a bit) Now he seems to have it in gear, and we will see. I honestly feel if the EGG line gives some production, (like they have the last few games) especially Elias getting going, and Parise's line keeps its pace then I feel the Devils will win a hard fought series in 6 games. With alot of 1 goal victories.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Correct :evilcry:

We will clearly have to play better (than against TB) to even stay in this series and we will have to get lucky to win. Neither are highly likely, but are possible.

Come on lucky to win?? I have issues with some things the Devils do but that is a bit of a stretch. the Devils are a solid team that when playing to their abilities can stay with anybody including the Sabres or Sens. The fact is having a Goalie that is capable of playing like Brodeur did in game 5 and 6 puts the team more at ease and allows them to get it going easier. As long as Marty stays in the groove he was in the last 2 games I do not think luck will have anything to do with it. The Devils top 2 lines will pose more problems for the Sens than did Pitts 1 line. ALso the top line of the Sens did not face anything remotely equal to what they wil face against Madden and Pando. PLease everybody is sooo worried about the Sens now all of a sudden because they beat a Pittsburg team (that over achieved this season) in the first round. the Devils didnt get 107 points by being lucky, and beating the Sens wont be luck either. The fact is the Sens did nto fare well against the Devils this season nor did Buffalo, and yes regular seasons dont mean anything, but matchups do, and I feel the Devils defensive style matches well against the Sens (especially in playoff hockey)

why in the world are people saying that the senators season series is a big deal - does everyone just forget the 8-1 drubbing they laid on us early in the year?

the lightning just looked like a beaten team after game 4. i worry that like in 2003, we will have to go up big in the series early (2-0 or 3-1), otherwise we are going to be in some trouble. this senators team does not have any major weaknesses - we do.

Senators are very good. The Devils just need more Marty Party's where he plays big games.

Tri, maybe this can be a series Marty adds to his steals list.

Edit: I also wouldn't say last series was a struggle. It wasn't easy either. It was a normal type 6 games series type contest. It feels more like a struggle here because of the way everyone freaked out after game 3, IMO.

Edited by Devils731

why in the world are people saying that the senators season series is a big deal - does everyone just forget the 8-1 drubbing they laid on us early in the year?

the lightning just looked like a beaten team after game 4. i worry that like in 2003, we will have to go up big in the series early (2-0 or 3-1), otherwise we are going to be in some trouble. this senators team does not have any major weaknesses - we do.

goalie is their weakness plain and simple. He is young and not truly playoff tested. He has played 15 total post seaon games with a 2.60 GAA and a .900 save %. The first 3 games against Pitt his save % was .810, .890, and .885 The facts are why was this team so average for half the season if they have no weaknesses?? They got on a run and finished well, but to say they have NO WEAKNESSES is also a stretch. And I never said the season series is a big deal but you cant just throw it out either. the matchups are important not the outcomes. I dont care if we won all the games or lost them and you bring up 1 game the 8 - 1 game (8th game of the season) you dont mention the other 3 Devils style hockey 1 goal wins.

Nobody is saying the Devils are going to steamroll them or anything, but to go the other way and basically say the Devils have little or no chance unless they get lucky is just not right. This series is going to be hardfought low scoring and at least 6 games. Marty can carry the team, and the Devils can beat them no doubt in my mind.

Edited by PaDevsFan

not truly playoff tested? he's played three series - that's about average considering the goalies left in the playoffs.

there aren't many veteran goalies around anymore. emery is not holmqvist - i'd say half of the goals holmqvist gave up were stoppable, and a goalie of emery's quality gets at least half of those that should've been stopped.

I think one of the main things we will need is both the EGG line and the Parise line producing in the games together. In the series with Tampa, it was either the Parise line scoring the goals, or the EGG line scoring the goals. If both lines can produce on a consistent basis against the Sens, I think the Devils will have a very good chance at taking the series.

I agree with 731: this is a series that Marty has to steal for us.

I agree with Tri: the Sens DON"T have any major weaknesses. I fear them more than Buffalo (sorry LOTCB). Quality depth is amazing on Ottawa they have 4 strong lines.

I am worried, but I am hoping Marty takes command.

I would say...if the Sens have a weakness, it would be their record in one goal games. Wether that holds true or not in the 2nd round of the PO's, remains to be seen. So far 1-1 in 1 goal games. I bet we see alot of one goal games in this series (1-0, 2-1 & 3-2). When I think back to the 2nd game in Ottawa vs the Pens, the Sens had 2x 1 goal leads in the 3rd and couldnt put it away. If the Sens don't get up early on the Devils, then Sens Fans will be in for another early PO exit by the Sens.

With that said...Go Sens Go!!!!

The Sens have a lot of weaknesses, but most of them are in their heads. If sens fans think the Sens will sweep, then they are VERY foolish. This will be a hard fought series, and I'd expect Brodeur to steal at least one game by himself (no way I could say the same about Emery). However, if the Sens stick to their game plan they'll do OK....that is IF though.

not truly playoff tested? he's played three series - that's about average considering the goalies left in the playoffs.

there aren't many veteran goalies around anymore. emery is not holmqvist - i'd say half of the goals holmqvist gave up were stoppable, and a goalie of emery's quality gets at least half of those that should've been stopped.

Is he playoff tested compared to Marty??? Average ?? you say well he has played only more games in the post season than Luongo (because all his teams sucked) and Lundquist . Every other goalie has played more games in the post season than emery. Nabokov, 40 games even MIller 23 games, Turco 28 games Hasek enough said, and Marty enough said. He is not playoff tested in a 7 game grind it out series, so yes that is a weakness of the Sens. Middle of pack on PP, and good on the penalty Kill, not great but good. SO they are not bullet proof as you may think.

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but I personally hope all the so-called "experts" continue to pick Ottawa to win this series. I know the Versus crew picked the Senators...right down the line...no questions asked.

Throw the Devils into the underdog role and they tend to surprise you.

It's when they're favored to win a series that I start worrying.

Should be a great series regardless of who wins.

The Sens are a very deep team - deeper than Tampa, no doubt. But I don't think it's a 'deadly' kind of deep. A lot of the goals given up in the Tampa series really were fortuitous bounces.

I don't feel very worried going into this series. Regular Season aside, I believe the Devils have a very good shot at taking this series in 6 games as well. Brodeur needs to continue his recent lights-out play, and the rest of the team just need to take it one shift at a time. Someone already said the series will be won on Special Teams - and I agree. I also believe that advantage favors New Jersey. I don't think home ice is going to play such a big part. Whichever team is going to walk away with this one is going to have to give 110% all game, every game. Should be a dandy!

Come on lucky to win?? I have issues with some things the Devils do but that is a bit of a stretch. the Devils are a solid team that when playing to their abilities can stay with anybody including the Sabres or Sens. The fact is having a Goalie that is capable of playing like Brodeur did in game 5 and 6 puts the team more at ease and allows them to get it going easier. As long as Marty stays in the groove he was in the last 2 games I do not think luck will have anything to do with it. The Devils top 2 lines will pose more problems for the Sens than did Pitts 1 line. ALso the top line of the Sens did not face anything remotely equal to what they wil face against Madden and Pando. PLease everybody is sooo worried about the Sens now all of a sudden because they beat a Pittsburg team (that over achieved this season) in the first round. the Devils didnt get 107 points by being lucky, and beating the Sens wont be luck either. The fact is the Sens did nto fare well against the Devils this season nor did Buffalo, and yes regular seasons dont mean anything, but matchups do, and I feel the Devils defensive style matches well against the Sens (especially in playoff hockey)

Wow, finally someone else thinks the way I do and in a positive way. :evil: Too much negativity on here by Devils fans.

Totally agree with you PaDevsfan! :koolaid:

i wouldn't say ass-whooping don. but i do expect to see a lot of speed and skilled passing from them.

we must be careful not to confuse this speed and skill as domination if it's kept to the outside as the devils always attempt to do.

i think this will be a 6 or 7 game series either way with each team's fans on the ledge as well as looking ahead to their stanley cup parade.

i expect ottawa in 6 because they can roll four skilled lines and emery should be pretty good. obviously the magic number is 3 - as in goals allowed by marty if it's 3 or more, devils likely lose. if it's less, devils win.

Exactly MS. I for one breathed a sigh of relief when the horn sounded yesterday.

I felt rather calm thru most of that game probably bc of Marty's

performance Friday and TB looked like they were getting frustrated.

Usually my stomach is in knots like it was while watching game 4.

Time for this old dog to wade in on the conversation.

Congrats on beating the Bolts!!! And a big hello to the old time Members on this board. I'm back ;)

Now on to business. I posted the same sort of message on Devils_Rules so some of you may have seen it already....

Here's what we all know....

The regular season finished with Ottawa getting 1 Win "early in the season" then 3 loses. The last game was won by Shootout when Madden shot about 6th in the order so we know the Sens/Devils match up great towards the end of the season.

In our last playoff meeting, Ottawa Lost in 7 games. Four Games were 1 goal games and two of those went into OT. Friggen Friesen :angry: "glad he is gone"

Jersey has 9 returning players from that series - Ottawa has 8

Gone from Devils Since 2002/03 series:

Friesen, Niedermayer, Nieuwendyk, Marshall, Stevens, Rheaume, Albelin, Bicek, Tverdovsky, Daneyko,

McKenzie, Stevenson and Smehlik. Although I think one of the above is in the Minors now?

In: Clemmensen, Green, Martin, Parise, Rasmussen, Dowd, Rupp, Zajac, Lukowich, Matvichuk, Oduya, Janssen and Clarkson.

-------------------------------------------

Gone from Sens since 2002/03 Series:

Lalime, Hossa, Bonk, Arvedson, Havalat, Rachunek, T.White, Van Allen, Varada, Smolinsky, Chara and

Leschyshyn

In: Emery, Schubert, Corvo, Meszaros, Heatley, Vermette, Kelly, McAmmond, Priessing, Saprykin, Comrie,

Nyckolat, McGrattan, Eaves. You might as well add Spezza since we had to beg J. Martins to play him back

then. Spezz scored on his first shift.

Some very noticible differences in both our lineups since O3.

Both our teams are good so I expect this series to go at least 6. The key for the Sens this round will be for them to maintain the hard physical hitting and to finish their checks on each shift. They did that very well against the Pens and it set the tone for that series. What surprised us all was they maintained it in all 5 games and did not relent at all. Second, If the Sens can establish a good strong forcheck and get the cycle going, we'll get lots of rubber towards Marty. The Bolts had some success with that, but we have 3 lines that can do it effectively. We have 6 D-man we can roll very efficiently starting with Volchenkov and Phillips, Redden and Meszaros and then Priessing and Corvo. When we get in penalty trouble back there, Schubert can move from wing to defense without missing a beat so that helps beef up our back end. Alfie, Heatley and Spezza have been on the top line but Alfie often moves back to the 2nd line to spread out the scoring. In round 1 vs the Pens, we got scoring from everywhere. I think 11 guys total scored in that series in just 5 games so that helps and I certainly hope that continues in this series. Lastly, Keep friggen Redden off the ice if the game is to be decided with 30 seconds or less left on the clock.

Yes the Pens are not the Devils, Likewise the Sens are not the Bolts. Season stats are not a true measurement of how things will go and that is exactly what the Pens thought as well. They won the Series 4 - 0 in the Reg season so that's that.

Otherwise...I hope we can get this going before Thursday...I'm excited for the rematch and look forward to a very different outcome. Sens in 6

Sens ousted Jersey from the Playoffs in the 90's, then Jersey got revenge in 2002/03. As for 2006/07...we shall see.

Edited by Dagwood

:koolaid:

I would say...if the Sens have a weakness, it would be their record in one goal games. Wether that holds true or not in the 2nd round of the PO's, remains to be seen. So far 1-1 in 1 goal games. I bet we see alot of one goal games in this series (1-0, 2-1 & 3-2). When I think back to the 2nd game in Ottawa vs the Pens, the Sens had 2x 1 goal leads in the 3rd and couldnt put it away. If the Sens don't get up early on the Devils, then Sens Fans will be in for another early PO exit by the Sens.

With that said...Go Sens Go!!!!

You brought up a great point. The playoffs tend to be a collection of close games no matter what two teams play. Even though a team may win a series in 4 or 5 games and people say it was "easy", often times most of those games are at least close. I really believe that this series is completely up for grabs - either team can win. I also think that this will be a series of very close games (which plays to the Devil's strengths). On the other hand, if Elias is getting sick and White is innefective, the Devil's have got their work cut out for them. :pray:

The winner of this series is going to win the Cup. Buffalo isn't as good as either of these guys - they may not even beat the Rangers... :koolaid:

With that said... Go Devils!!