Ive had it with this idea....

LOTCB

I was glancing through tsn.ca this morning and read some comments that just make my stomach turn...listen to a sample of these comments:

1. "Well I do hope the United States is happy. The league wastes so much time selling the game there, that they forget that true fans belong in Canada. But no, we have to always please other countries. Canada is and will always be the Best Hockey Nation around. A Stanley Cup Parade in Tampa? Something wrong with the sound of that"

Eh they're just bitter their team lost. Remember how we all thought what a travesty it would have been had the Ducks won? Mickey Mouse's name on the Cup! Goofy! :o Perish the thought. Glad it didn't happen. Do I think Tampa being the champs is weird? Well I think any team other than the Devils being the champs is weird. :P I just hope the Cup doesn't melt down there. B )

I'm glad the Lightning won. I really want to see Tampa start to become a healthy hockey fan base. Its good for the league. I wouldn't have minded if the Flames won because those fans deserve it too, but its nice to see 22,000 Floridians cheering around a big screen tv about a hockey game going on 4,000 miles away in Alberta.

I'm glad the Lightning won. I really want to see Tampa start to become a healthy hockey fan base. Its good for the league. I wouldn't have minded if the Flames won because those fans deserve it too, but its nice to see 22,000 Floridians cheering around a big screen tv about a hockey game going on 4,000 miles away in Alberta.

I totally agree, and believe me I was happy to see Andreychuk finally win the Cup after being with my Sabres so long, and I felt bad for Calgary and their fans, they are very loyal and passionate fans no questions asked...but this talk about deserving or not is foolish already!

Clown, I could not agree more with your post. I said the same thing to my Dad last night about Tampa and its fans. They are still fairly new to the sport of hockey. Think of this. In only their team's third playoff year, they won a Cup. That is going to change how the game is perceived down there. Those fans now know what a Stanley Cup championship tastes like. They are going to want more after this incredible run. Winning the Cup should only expose them more to the sport of hockey.

The Devils won in '95 and it changed things for them and their fanbase. They became more hockey crazy.

You're right on about the Blue Jays. A lot of Canadian fans think they're owed a championship. That's not the way it works. Your team has to bleed for it. No other sport do you see a team of guys sacrifice so much for sixteen wins. It's very hard fought.

That's why whoever wins it has earned it.

Well I was the biggest proponent in the world of I don't want the Lightning to win the Cup...

But that's a lot different than saying they didn't deserve to win. Obviously they did. The Lightning certainly deserved it.

I am still not a fan of the Duhs. And I'm surprised, for a group of fans that prides itself on making noise, I think that was the least noise and general jubilation I've ever heard and seen for presentation of the Cup. It just leads me back to they don't really understand how hard it is to win and how much it means.

But it's impossible to say the Lightning didn't earn it. They're a very fine team that put the pieces together all year and carried it all the way through to the end.

you don't really sometimes appreciate what it's like to win a Cup.. till not just after winning the Cup, but it's the heartaches and headaches and the failures after the Cup and trying to climb that moutain AGAIN with the team and seeing them get back where they once were (one of the things that made 2000 so SPECIAL was the failures of 96-99)... maybe I'm just seeing it different because I didn't get into the Devils until 1993 and that seemed to be when this franchise began to click, and you take your first great run for granted... (esp when the first run had an ECF loss, albeit a devastating one and then a DOMINANT 16-4 Stanley Cup run.. think about that again... they only lost FOUR games in 1995)... and you just don't realize it until the failures and the frustrations begin to sit in for the years after (another reason I hate Colorado as a franchise.. they got spoonfed a Cup and their definiton of suffering is not winning the division :P )... just my personal take on it from my own level of experience.. and seeing the Tampa fans last night just made me think more and more in the difference a year makes and how damn special it was to be there getting all mooooshy in front of 19040 :dance:

I think it's sad to disenfranchise the Canadians playing here. I like the spread of popularity. I guess i went through the whole adjustmenet went the North Stars went south -- that was actually kind of difficult for me -- I know it's dumb but I felt how I felt. I've gotten over it just because I dpnt know -- I sort of like hockey more than I do geographic boundries -- and I figure there are other things to get angry about... I have too much stuff that irks me on my plate as it is!

JasOn seems to share this opinion, you know he gets all ethnocentric on us. These guys would rather have a teeny market just in Canada i guess. Whatever. Tampa HAS the Cup and that's the improtant thing I guess - no matter how much people want to kill their buzz.

I dont care which city wins when it isn't us. That being said: 1. I would rather our conference have it (when it's not us). 2. At least Tampa TRIED to play hockey instead of that S**t we saw on the ice that looked like a pick up game between the Crips and the Bloods where the game was incidental. 3. If Calgary kept on playing hockey instead of "Let's F'n kill these guys," they may have actually won the thing.

Enough tears for other cities. We have our own problems.

PS: I feel bad for the Canadians who feel that the team with the lesser amount of Canadian players needed to win. It's still your game, folks. Any American will concede that (those who care). :rolleyes:

Canadians are just upset. It wasn't just Flames fans even though I have never seen more excitement in one City ever. Way over 50,000 people going nuts at 17 Ave. All of Canada was behind them. This ++++ry wanted a Canadian team to win and right now I don;t think it matters if it is Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary or even Toronto and they can't stand it being in Tampa. I'm a little upset with the idea but Tampa still deserves it.

I don't think people are saying the players don;t deserve but rather then the fans and I think ESB summed it up by saying they don't know how hard it is to get. They made it last year and they won it this year. I doubt they remember they were in the playoffs in 1996.

While teams like Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver know how hard it is. Ottawa has bene thinking they can win the Cup for a few years now. They have been in the playoffs 8 years in a row and nothing. Toronto hasn't been in the finals since 1967(Clown, I know your loving that) They have watched teams like Anahiem, Florida, Carolina and Washingotn make it while they can;t and they are always one of the favourites to win.

I don't think they care that Canadians win the Cup since that will always happen no matter what team it is but they want the Cup and until you see the passion Canadians have for hockey maybe you guys won't understand.

Ah, how quickly Canadians forget that during January, 10% of their population visits Florida.

Hockey doesn't belong there because it's their sport but they belong there?

What about all the Canadian transplants? And Northeast transplants?

HASN'T ANYBODY SEEN SLAP SHOT?

Heh, Ottawa fans must be really pissed. Didn't they come into the league the same year as Tampa?

I think everyone in Ottawa has heard this stat a million times. The 4 expansion teams that came in either 1992-1993 or 1993-1994 have all amde the Cup Finals except Ottawa and they have been in the playoffs 8 times compared to three for the Lightning and three for the Panthers and twice for the Ducks.

Canada and the northeast is mad because over the past 10 years or so they've seen there clubs ignored, raped, stolen, and they've watched these new, undeserving markets pop up, given all the advantages by Bettman, nurtured and coddled for years. Canada feels like the rug has been pulled out from under them. Bettman turns a blind eye while Winnipeg and Quebec bolt from deserving, enthusiastic markets, but he's been bending over backwards for years to prop up hockey in the south. The idiot went as far as to try in Atlanta where they don't even sell out Braves playoff games and is probably working behind the scenes right now to move the Penguins to Kansas City! Tampa was a disgrace for 10 years, finally they accumulate enough picks to build a cup champion, at the expense of established franchises who were left in limbo. Was it really worth it? I say no, we'd been a better, STRONGER league without the Lightning at all, or with the Hamilton Lightning instead.

Imagine this, Vancouvers current lineup + Lecavalier! The Rangers with Brad Richards. Sounds like a more exciting league.

Edited by '7'

Heh, Ottawa fans must be really pissed. Didn't they come into the league the same year as Tampa?

sammy go to about page 8 in the thread

you can see that realization and depression kick in on them :lol:

http://forum.sensnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=7033&start=140

all of a sudden 3 Cups don't seem so bad :D

Canada and the northeast is mad because over the past 10 years or so they've seen there clubs ignored, raped, stolen, and they've watched these new, undeserving markets pop up, given all the advantages by Bettman, nurtured and coddled for years. Canada feels like the rug has been pulled out from under them. Bettman turns a blind eye while Winnipeg and Quebec bolt from deserving, enthusiastic markets, but he's been bending over backwards for years to prop up hockey in the south. The idiot went as far as to try in Atlanta where they don't even sell out Braves playoff games and is probably working behind the scenes right now to move the Penguins to Kansas City! Tampa was a disgrace for 10 years, finally they accumulate enough picks to build a cup champion, at the expense of established franchises who were left in limbo. Was it really worth it? I say no, we'd been a better, STRONGER league without the Lightning at all, or with the Hamilton Lightning instead.

Imagine this, Vancouvers current lineup + Lecavalier! The Rangers with Brad Richards. Sounds like a more exciting league.

So, I suppose it's Bettman's fault that Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver couldn't win even with talent? Is it his fault Burke stayed with Cloutier when it was obvious he would never lead them to a Cup? Is it his fault Bertuzzi acted like an idiot? Is it his fault that Montreal was swept? Is it his fault that Boston is cheap and likes to choke? I suppose it's his fault Ottawa likes to choke vs. ANOTHER Canadian team too huh?

Vancouver with Lecavalier, Rangers with Richards? I guess they would lose 6-5 instead of 6-4.

Wait, Richards you said? Why exactly didn't the Rangers pick Richards? They had two chances...instead they chose Manny Malhotra and Randy Copley. :unsure:

Heh, Ottawa fans must be really pissed.  Didn't they come into the league the same year as Tampa?

sammy go to about page 8 in the thread

you can see that realization and depression kick in on them :lol:

http://forum.sensnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=7033&start=140

all of a sudden 3 Cups don't seem so bad :D

Heh, I've been reading that, that stuff is classic.

I like how one of them says Tampa had a cakewalk in the first two rounds and that the regular season does mean something...wtf, where were the Senators last season? Presidents trophy and a semi cakewalk (as per their defenition) in the first two rounds. :unsure:

I was rooting for the Flames, but I am just as happy that Tampa won it. Florida could be a good area for haockey if the fan base builds after this. Hockey will always be in Canadian blood. (thats what makes Canadians so cool.) They will contend again with at least one of their teams next season.

No need to pout.

Oh I was rooting for the Flames to see the reaction of the female flames fans.... :evil:

From the playoffs I saw, the Flames definitely deserved it, much more so in my opinion than Tampa which coasted for long stretches. The Flames skated their asses off every shift, and they played all those games, dug down deep against the wings, canucks, and sharks. It would seriously have been a hollywood ending. A bunch of partts being led by iginla to a cup (sound familiar?).

I swear, if it was detroit, colorado, maybe even sj, tampa would not have stood a chance. There were gaping holes in their defense, i am still aghast that calgary could not convert on their myriad chances. The lightning potted their chances at a much much higher percentage. No doubt Richards was on.

The lightning? No I dont think they deserved that cup. In what series did they face adversity? At least the devils last year had to knock off Ottawa. what did tampa do? the flyers? with esche in goal? Not like they finished with a low seed or anything either... if the flames had at least one other player other than iginla of richards, lecavalier, or stlouis caliber, they would have wrapped this one up.

And these 22,000 fans spring up out of nowhere. Calgary definitely deserved better.

I'm not saying Tampa didnt deserve the cup, they did their jobs. Calgary just deserved it more. But thats reality.