Niedermayer to Have His Number Retired Eventually

thefiestygoat

Regardless of contribution? Soo if Marty (Brodeur) left NJ towards the end of his career (which I think he might do) you would say he shouldn't have his number retired..? You probably just mean the fact that he signed with another team, but contribution to the team is WHY the number is retired in the 1st place.. Just b/c he wanted to play with his brother at the end of his career doesn't exactly make him a traitor like Gomez is.. I think him winning the Cup with the Ducks just inflates it more that he will be remembered as a Duck which WONT happen (the guy won 3 cups here!), but Nieds will always be remembered as a Devil and not as a Duck.

Very well said as I have been saying all along as well.

Nice post and why even bother responding to that post. Obviously it is another very bitter Devils fan who cannot handle the way business is done in the NHL. I am sure if any Devils leaves New Jersey they will be hated on as well. I don't think Marty would do that though. He will be a forever Devil. Do agree though if he did leave I am sure he would be hated say that he went to Montreal because that is where he is from. Imagine all the hate then. :rolleyes: BTW, like it or not Niedermayer will go down in the NHL as a New Jersey Devil and will have his #27 retired here.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how the people who aren't upset at Nieds repeatedly miss the point of the people who are upset with him in some form. If you aren't upset or don't agree with the people who are upset, that is fine, but it is slightly annoying to just keep reading this circular arguing or people asking how someone could be upset with Nieds, an answer being given, and then the same question asked the next page without the original answer being addressed in any way. Just come out and tell the people who think he disrespected Lou that you think they're wrong and then we don't need 8 pages of the some few sentences rehashed in different form over and over.

It amazes me how the people who aren't upset at Nieds repeatedly miss the point of the people who are upset with him in some form. If you aren't upset or don't agree with the people who are upset, that is fine, but it is slightly annoying to just keep reading this circular arguing or people asking how someone could be upset with Nieds, an answer being given, and then the same question asked the next page without the original answer being addressed in any way. Just come out and tell the people who think he disrespected Lou that you think they're wrong and then we don't need 8 pages of the some few sentences rehashed in different form over and over.

That's fine you think we're wrong. Lou could just be acting classy or Lou may not feel disrespected but I feel he was. Lou also may not feel like Nieds knew he was going to play with his brother the whole time but I do feel that Nieds always knew that and since I don't believe he told Lou that I feel that didn't give equal respect that the organization would have given him.

The thing that baffles me the most here is the timing. I know it's not like Lou held a press conference to announce that Niedermayer's number would be retired, but normally he's pretty tight-lipped. To tell the press that a guy who is currently playing for another team will one day have his sweater hung from the rafters is just weird to me.

I for one am currently on the side of not wanting to retire Nieds' number for reasons expressed several times over, and there's no need to repeat them. But I also did boo MacLean when he returned in a Rangers jersey, and right now I wouldn't be opposed to seeing his number retired. After Nieds finally retires, when he's no longer helping another team win, when all of this water passes under the bridge, I'll probably come around and be among the first in line to buy tickets to Niedermayer Night. But for now, as he's playing for a reigning Stanley Cup champion that doesn't call New Jersey home, I don't feel inclined to talk about how anxious I am to see him immortalized alongside the greatest captain we've ever had and a guy known as Mr. Devil. Which brings us back to my original point that the timing of all this is just strange.

The thing that baffles me the most here is the timing. I know it's not like Lou held a press conference to announce that Niedermayer's number would be retired, but normally he's pretty tight-lipped. To tell the press that a guy who is currently playing for another team will one day have his sweater hung from the rafters is just weird to me.

I for one am currently on the side of not wanting to retire Nieds' number for reasons expressed several times over, and there's no need to repeat them. But I also did boo MacLean when he returned in a Rangers jersey, and right now I wouldn't be opposed to seeing his number retired. After Nieds finally retires, when he's no longer helping another team win, when all of this water passes under the bridge, I'll probably come around and be among the first in line to buy tickets to Niedermayer Night. But for now, as he's playing for a reigning Stanley Cup champion that doesn't call New Jersey home, I don't feel inclined to talk about how anxious I am to see him immortalized alongside the greatest captain we've ever had and a guy known as Mr. Devil. Which brings us back to my original point that the timing of all this is just strange.

Edited by DevilinLA

Wow this thread has legs .. and at post #161 it should be obvious to all those "non bitter" fans who cannot understand why some cant see its a business and wont acknowledge the detailed answers given many times by posters for their position that there is a split in thinking whether #27 should 1- be booed and 2-his number retired.

Because the people who think we have no right to do anything but worship Niedermayer tend to be people who are obsessed with being right about everything. They can't -- or won't -- understand how or why anyone could dare to have an opinion that differs from theirs.

Because the people who think we have no right to do anything but worship Niedermayer tend to be people who are obsessed with being right about everything. They can't -- or won't -- understand how or why anyone could dare to have an opinion that differs from theirs.

No, I see your point, and I understand why you don't like him. I just think the good he brought will out weigh the bad years from now when it is all said and done.

The bad has a way of being forgotten in pro sports, as someone said earlier with Johnny Mac. Heck, Lemieux got traded right after winning a Conn Smythe, and he was welcomed back 5 years later. Our back up goalie knocked us out of the playoffs a few years ago. Mogilny ditched the Devils for cash and came back.

You gotta remember, if this number retirement ever happens (who knows, Lou won't be there forever, and new management may not want it up there), but if it ever does happen, we're talking 10 years or so down the road. He could even end up back here as a player before he retires.

Sorry to continue the circular argument, but I didn't want the people who don't want 27 retired to think that the people who do or wouldn't mind it retired to think that it was because we 'are obsessed with being right' and 'think we have no right to do anything but worship Niedermayer.' I simply think the dislike will subside.

The bad has a way of being forgotten in pro sports, as someone said earlier with Johnny Mac. Heck, Lemieux got traded right after winning a Conn Smythe, and he was welcomed back 5 years later. Our back up goalie knocked us out of the playoffs a few years ago. Mogilny ditched the Devils for cash and came back.

The big difference is that Lemieux and Mogilny only came back here to play with the team, they aren't having their numbers retired. Weekes is a backup so no one cares. I don't think MacLean should ever have his number retired either.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Good point....this circular arguement is getting ridiculous.

DisG's got it on point here.

Right or wrong, I think this is where a lot of our hearts are at this point in the season.

For me, particularly, being in Anaheim's backyard and having to deal with annoying ANA fans - for those Devils fans out here - they have become like Ranger fans except more ignorant.

I'm really happy to hear this, it still pains me to see a guy w/ the name " Mottau" skating around in #27.

Neids was and still is the most talented skater to play for NJ... its too bad he will not finish his career in Nj...

I will be there when they raise his Number...

At least he'll go into the Hall as a Devil.

I assume.

Edited by RolandNJD

Agreed, definitely. I was more trying for the point that people tend to be forgiven in sports over time. Of course, only time will tell. And for all we know, post-Lou management may not feel the need to retire anything other than 3,4, and 30 from the 3 cup years. And I don't think anyone would have a problem if those are they only 3 to hang from the rafters.