Semyon Varlamov likely won’t re-sign with Washington Capitals

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

A Strong young goaltender with a bright future if given the opportunity IMO.

Last week, Sport-Express’s Slava Malamud spoke with Varlamov, who said he would like to return to the NHL even if it meant taking less money than what Kontinental Hockey League clubs might offer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/report-semyon-varlamov-likely-wont-re-sign-with-washington-capitals/2011/06/27/AGVELTnH_blog.html

Since our roster is just about set without needing to sign a UFA skater to fill a hole, I wouldn't mind investing $2.5M into a solid backup goalie for next year.

Really ? We don't need no puck moving D ? Nothing is wrong with the PP ? I don't think the return of Parise is going to solve our problems at moving the puck. We need a quarter-back for our PP who can move the puck. Taormina is an unproven guy. Yes he showed potential, but it doesn't mean that he is the solution as we don't know how he'll look this season.

Puck moving D is IMO a priority regardless of who stays or moves. (of the player currently on roster)

Really ? We don't need no puck moving D ? Nothing is wrong with the PP ? I don't think the return of Parise is going to solve our problems at moving the puck. We need a quarter-back for our PP who can move the puck. Taormina is an unproven guy. Yes he showed potential, but it doesn't mean that he is the solution as we don't know how he'll look this season.

Puck moving D is IMO a priority regardless of who stays or moves. (of the player currently on roster)

We have quite a few. They just don't appear to be ready yet.

Volch - Fayne

White - Taormina

Urbom - Tallinder

Those six would form a pretty well rounded defense. What PMD do you suggest we sign?

I would love this pickup if it happens. I suppose he hasn't completely proven himself as a starter yet, but he's done a pretty damn good job whenever I've seen him. I'll never forget that Caps-Pens playoff series in 2009 when he stood on his head up until game 7.

I love Moose, but I wouldn't pass up this opportunity. It almost sounds too good to be true. This kid has a ton of potential and may turn out to be really great, which I think is quite likely.

This one made me really happy

I would love this pickup if it happens. I suppose he hasn't completely proven himself as a starter yet, but he's done a pretty damn good job whenever I've seen him. I'll never forget that Caps-Pens playoff series in 2009 when he stood on his head up until game 7.

I love Moose, but I wouldn't pass up this opportunity. It almost sounds too good to be true. This kid has a ton of potential and may turn out to be really great, which I think is quite likely.

This one made me really happy

EPIC Doc Call! :boogie:

I doubt Varly would want to come and play second fiddle to Brodeur but he'd be a great acquisition, could play solidly when Brodeur needs breaks or if he gets injured. Also might be good to have another Russian on the team (with Kovy).

What has Semyon Varlamov done to prove he shouldn't play second fiddle to anyone exactly?

Since our roster is just about set without needing to sign a UFA skater to fill a hole, I wouldn't mind investing $2.5M into a solid backup goalie for next year.

I was pissed we paid 1.5 million for a backup last year.....wow, talk about blowing up your cap.......

Now we're just j*rkin' ourselves off. We all know we're not going to be signing any free agents of any note this off season(besides the ones we already have i.e. Parise. We were all speculating about Brent Burns before the draft and that didn't happen, nor will any other free agent be brought on board by this team. That's why last off season was such a surprise. New Jersey pretty much doesn't do jack squat.

Pipe dream. I'm actually hoping we get Drouin-Deslauriers for cheap. I think he's extremely underrated.

Is that the guy from the Oilers because I too think he's underrated. Dubynk would be another good option but I think Edmonton wants to hold on to him since Khabibulin isn't getting any younger.