Tyler Ekford

Bibby89

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Best of luck to him yes and little Devil news like this i think should have its own thread instead of being thrown into the abyss of the off-season thread-_-

Best of luck to him yes and little Devil news like this i think should have its own thread instead of being thrown into the abyss of the off-season thread-_-

The way people talk about it, you'd think the off-season thread's posts were all assorted randomly and translated into pig-latin. Plus, in order to load each page, you have to give a blood sacrifice. How hard is it to click the most recent page and maybe go back a few if you haven't checked the board in a couple days?

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

The Heatley trade should have it's own thread it is a big swap and shouldn't be thrown into 1000 things in one thread were it could be passed over due to conversations or re-signings that over lap it. It can get annoying we know that. Something small like a Devil signing should be recognized and not be swapped into a 1000s different things at once. I use the thread no big deal but can get annoying. It's always you with something smart to say. Being a little more organized or whatever isn't a big issue

The way people talk about it, you'd think the off-season thread's posts were all assorted randomly and translated into pig-latin. Plus, in order to load each page, you have to give a blood sacrifice. How hard is it to click the most recent page and maybe go back a few if you haven't checked the board in a couple days?

Not saying it's impossible, but I also like having a place to discuss specific Devils moves or major deals. It's just easier, especially since there are a couple discussions going on in offseason. Just a personal opinion.

As for Eckford, he got his chances. In the end, he was less effective than Andy Greene and not much younger, so not exactly a huge upside. I wish him the best of luck, cause he seems like a nice kid, and he worked hard, but I didn't see him making the team any time soon.

.... I'm not gonna start a flame war. But I will say this; I'd rather not have to sort through a bazillion things I deem garbage from other teams I don't care about. So a sincere thank you to the ones who post new threads about Devils news.

I'm just going to offer a little perspective, and I hope I don't come off as preachy, but am more sincerely interested in helping:

I truly don't care how threads are organized on the board - I'm generally behind whatever the "will" of the board here is.

In the past off-seasons, particularly on Trade or UFA Day things here are often chaotic with multiple folks posting duplicate threads, false rumors, and a lot of stuff.

Also, in the past off-seasons the system of using one thread to eliminate clutter during busy times has been an effective system - with specific Devils Signings having there own thread.

Hence, thats the reason I created and altered a Trade, UFA, and Speculation thread.

BUT

My suggestion would be that most of the folks here complaining about the "length of the All - Purpose Thread" (which is fine) seem to be a majority folks who have joined recently (2011) and have never been through an off season here. And while there opinions are certainly welcome and valid - I might suggest spending a little time here to get some perspective before criticizing the way things are done here. I don't think its particularly hard to open and read the one or two only threads that are being updated frequently in the last weeks.

I am personally of the opinion, that I look to see if a topic has been covered, or is currently in discussion before I post an entirely new thread. Just a tip. I also believe that specific "Devils News" warrants its own thread - especially if it contains new insight. (which is usually more obvious when a poster puts a little effort into starting a thread with a spin).

To me 20 different threads entitled "Kaberle", that when opened offer familiar territory (and little new insight or discussion) such as: "What do you think of this guy? Should Lou sign him? I wouldn't pay him $5M though......" when this has been discussed (and is being discussed) currently can be frustrating.

I'm not saying my opinion is right, and I always want to welcome new blood here - as it makes this place more interesting - but I believe you'll find folks here to be warm and fun and great to deal with - if you take some time to get to know the place first a little.

Edited by DevilinLA

I don't understand this. We draft him in the 7th round, let him develop for four years in college, give him two years in the minors, and when he finally appears poised and shows promise in his short stint in the NHL, it doesn't even look like much effort was made at re-signing him.

I don't understand this. We draft him in the 7th round, let him develop for four years in college, give him two years in the minors, and when he finally appears poised and shows promise in his short stint in the NHL, it doesn't even look like much effort was made at re-signing him.

Also, Adam Larrson probably hurt his chances here.

He had chances, but he just couldn't stick. They may feel that he's hit his ceiling. It doesn't help that Larsson, Merril, Burlon, Urbom, Fayne, Corrente, and Gelinas were all drafted after him and are all higher on the Devils radar than him.

First off, Eckford was a type VI free agent, which means he was unrestricted. He had had three years in the minors, not 2 (and 3 years in college, not 4).

Second, he missed most of the year with personal problems.

Third, he was never very good on his brief stints up in the NHL, he turns 26 in September, and, yeah, there you have it.

Fourth, Albany is pretty full. The depth chart has 15 D who are signed or who were tendered a contract: Volchenkov, Tallinder, White, Greene, Fayne, Taormina, Corrente, Fraser, Urbom, Noreau, Sova, Burlon, Gelinas, Kelly, Young. Doesn't leave much room for another, does it.

Edited by Triumph

First off, Eckford was a type VI free agent, which means he was unrestricted. He had had three years in the minors, not 2 (and 3 years in college, not 4).

Second, he missed most of the year with personal problems.

Third, he was never very good on his brief stints up in the NHL, he turns 26 in September, and, yeah, there you have it.

Fourth, Albany is pretty full. The depth chart has 15 D who are signed or who were tendered a contract: Volchenkov, Tallinder, White, Greene, Fayne, Taormina, Corrente, Fraser, Urbom, Noreau, Sova, Burlon, Gelinas, Kelly, Young. Doesn't leave much room for another, does it.

Phoenix offered him a two-way deal. I see no reason we couldn't have matched that offer and created a low-risk high-reward situation for ourselves. I thought he looked OK in his call-ups, certainly with potential to become a regular on an NHL team by age 28-29. He's done well in Albany. There is no reason Sova, Kelly, or Young couldn't be assigned to Trenton. Its not like we are up against the 50 player reserve list. We could have afforded his $100,000 Albany salary and let him go next season if his situation didn't improve.

Phoenix offered him a two-way deal. I see no reason we couldn't have matched that offer and created a low-risk high-reward situation for ourselves. I thought he looked OK in his call-ups, certainly with potential to become a regular on an NHL team by age 28-29. He's done well in Albany. There is no reason Sova, Kelly, or Young couldn't be assigned to Trenton. Its not like we are up against the 50 player reserve list. We could have afforded his $100,000 Albany salary and let him go next season if his situation didn't improve.

High-reward? What high reward? C'mon, he's going to be 26, and he's not even close to being an NHL regular. How much better is he going to get?

Yeah, there's some players who peak really late, and there's some players who are continually passed over because the perception is that this player isn't any good, when in fact he is. But by and large, players who aren't NHLers by 25 aren't NHLers at all.

I also resist the notion that he has done well in Albany. He has done OK in Albany. His Albany stats in sum:

170 GP, 14 G, 58 A, 72 P, 92 PIM, -13. And this from a player whose AHL career started at 23.

High-reward? What high reward? C'mon, he's going to be 26, and he's not even close to being an NHL regular. How much better is he going to get?

Yeah, there's some players who peak really late, and there's some players who are continually passed over because the perception is that this player isn't any good, when in fact he is. But by and large, players who aren't NHLers by 25 aren't NHLers at all.

I also resist the notion that he has done well in Albany. He has done OK in Albany. His Albany stats in sum:

170 GP, 14 G, 58 A, 72 P, 92 PIM, -13. And this from a player whose AHL career started at 23.

High-reward being an NHL defender. All things considered, thats a pretty high reward for no risk (minimum contract, two-way deal, short term, etc etc).

72 Points in 170 GP is nearly .5 points/game, and -13 on some average-to-bad teams isnt terrible. I would say he's done well. My only point is that I didn't see a reason to not make an EFFORT to re-sign him. If he asked for $1mm I would have said see ya later but at a league minimum two-way, surely we could have retained his possible talents.

High-reward being an NHL defender. All things considered, thats a pretty high reward for no risk (minimum contract, two-way deal, short term, etc etc).

72 Points in 170 GP is nearly .5 points/game, and -13 on some average-to-bad teams isnt terrible. I would say he's done well. My only point is that I didn't see a reason to not make an EFFORT to re-sign him. If he asked for $1mm I would have said see ya later but at a league minimum two-way, surely we could have retained his possible talents.

They already have Taormina, Fayne, Corrente, Urbom, Fraser and Larsson fighting for 1 spot in the NHL. Four of them still have to be signed. Two of them will probably make the roster as it stands now.

Then you have Gelinas, Burlon, Kelly, Sova, Young, Noreau, and Leach in Albany. That's 7 more, added to the 4 who get cut from the NHL team, and you have 11 defensemen on the AHL roster, at least 3 of which still don't have contracts. There's just no room for Eckford. I like him, but he doesn't really have an upside.

I get your point about the low risk/high reward situation, but there really isn't any reward to be had.

The problem is he simply wouldn't get NHL time with this organization. There is just way too much younger talent already ahead of him on the depth chart. He's been passed over continuously by coaches as a call up as well (Fraser?) so...I think the writing was kinda on the wall for him after this past season.

Plus, oh yeah, HE'S 26! And was being passed by <20 y/o's

people have apparently already answered this, but i want to cover one thing - .5 points/game is not good for a 23-25 year old defenseman. It probably translates to around .25/points game in the NHL, which, yawn for a guy who plays on the power play.

the devils just got a guy who played his 23 year old season and put up .71 PPG.

also you aren't considering that eckford left the team halfway through the year and never returned, which is not exactly a good sign for a player looking to make the NHL.

Edited by Triumph

Wish him the best in Phoenix hope he performs well.

Are you going to wish him the best of luck again tomorrow or is this just a two-time thing?

people have apparently already answered this, but i want to cover one thing - .5 points/game is not good for a 23-25 year old defenseman. It probably translates to around .25/points game in the NHL, which, yawn for a guy who plays on the power play.

the devils just got a guy who played his 23 year old season and put up .71 PPG.

also you aren't considering that eckford left the team halfway through the year and never returned, which is not exactly a good sign for a player looking to make the NHL.

Good points all around. It will be interesting to see if he can make something of himself eventually. Did they ever say why he left other than "personal reasons."

Sums it all up, really. Reminds me of when some fans were upset about Suglobov being traded...and he had actually come off a solid AHL campaign at the time.

Sums it all up, really. Reminds me of when some fans were upset about Suglobov being traded...and he had actually come off a solid AHL campaign at the time.

I'm amazed that Tyler fvckin' Ekford got a 2-page thread. Who the f cares about Tyler Ekford? We've known for a couple years he wasn't amounting to jack sh!t.

Edited by MadDog2020