Did anyone see Elias' disallowed goal?

Blackjack

I was at the game, and of course they don't show replays. But from where I was sitting (behind Garon) it looked like Elias' stick started high, but he moved it down to deflect the puck, and actually deflected it up into the net (impossible to do from above the crossbar) to tell you the truth, it didn't even look close. I was so disgusted when they took that goal away, and I had a feeling they would from the moment they reviewed it.

Edited by Blackjack

I was at the game, and of course they don't show replays. But from where I was sitting (behind Garon) it looked like Elias' stick started high, but he moved it down to deflect the puck, and actually deflected it up into the net (impossible to do from above the crossbar) to tell you the truth, it didn't even look close. I was so disgusted when they took that goal away, and I had a feeling they would from the moment they reviewed it.

I was at the game also... I felt the same way as u.. but in the thread for tonights game there are a few comments about it so u may wanna check it out.. it seems from what i have read in that thread, that it was a bad call. I wanted to see it myself but metro doesnt replay the games I dont think..Fox Sports always does.

TSN showed slo-mo replays of it, and it was quite questionable. My main beef was that it was initially ruled a goal. This means that there must be DEFINITIVE EVIDNCE that it WASN'T a goal. Where was the definitive evidence? TSN sure didn't have it. Their replays showed it being questionable, able to go either way. Did the refs have another camera or something? And, if so, why didn't TSN have it? I dunno. I think it should have been allowed not necessarily because it was under the crossbar but because there wasn't definitive evidence to show that it didn't, to contradict the original ruling...

one thing I've learned is NEVER judge a call at a game... only thing that sucks is

this was a metro game or I'd be sitting here recapping it now and screaming yes or

no on the goal :P

Here's some quotes from Habs fans on hfboards.

OH YEAH BABY!!! NO GOALS (i think it was good LOL)

and

1-0 still woooooohoooo.lol....

we got lucky i think..lol

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=63340&page=4

That seals it for me. We were robbed. :argh:

2nd time in a row against Montreal. I really hope we don't face them in the postseason: too hard to beat them and the refs.

That Hfboards Habs board is funny. Loads of breakaways and end to end action and they keep accusing the game of being boring and "hate to be a Devils fan." Man, what exactly do they want? I guess back in the good old days, the defensemen werent allowed to check and had they laces tied together :P

That Hfboards Habs board is funny. Loads of breakaways and end to end action and they keep accusing the game of being boring and "hate to be a Devils fan." Man, what exactly do they want? I guess back in the good old days, the defensemen werent allowed to check and had they laces tied together :P

I agree. This game was WIDE OPEN. Sure, not all sixty minutes, but the majority of them. Not boring whatsoever.

yeah, don't take it seriously. About half the posters on hfboards defend the trap and it's associated teams (Devils, Wild, etc) to the death, and will say that the most boring game in the world was exciting. The other half attack the trap and it's associated teams and prabably felt that game 7 of the ECF last year was boring.

I really don't think they watch the game, I think they're jealous of the Devils' success so they join the chorus. Half those guys don't even know what the neurtral zone trap is.

HFBoards kind of suck, IMO. Eh, I'm over-simplifying....

Pretty much. I do like going there because there are a ton of fans from every team, and it really gives you a good feel for the league. They do go overboard with the "futures" though. Half those guys would trade the best player on their team for a 1st round draft pick.

I doubt the Devils were robbed. One thing about replay. If it's a tight call, the NHL will usually make sure to get it right. How long did the review last? Some reviews can last very long. Sometimes, the NHL headquarters gets involved to decide on if it's a goal or not. If it was that questionable, I'm certain they would have called up Toronto and gotten the word.

we were still screwed... it was a goal... the blade was going down... games should not be decided by an officials call like that... this was like a playoff game.... :soap:

we were still screwed... it was a goal... the blade was going down... games should not be decided by an officials call like that... this was like a playoff game.... :soap:

It doesn't matter if the blade was going down. This from rule 61 of the NHL Rule book:

*NEW*

saw it on TV. that call could have gone either way. i think had his stick started out just a little lower, they would not have reversed it

HFBoards kind of suck, IMO.  Eh, I'm over-simplifying....

Pretty much. I do like going there because there are a ton of fans from every team, and it really gives you a good feel for the league. They do go overboard with the "futures" though. Half those guys would trade the best player on their team for a 1st round draft pick.

Speaking of that, has anyone seen Jason MacIsaac lately? I don't think he's posted in the last few days...

REGARDLESS, it was inconclusive as far as every angle we saw could tell, and that's all you need - INCONCLUSIVITY - to make the call stand. If they had waved the goal and THEN gone upstairs, same thing - the call stands. There was NO, NONE, ZILCH defining evidence to support anything but making the call (and goal) stand.