Parise to join Devils

Weekes Head

Why am I getting the impression that people feel I hate Parise. I list 10 positives vs 3 negatives and I get this. Sheesh, I absolutly love his game just there are areas he needs to work on.

I am the one in favor of him playing, I didn't say he was going to be a dud or anything. I think he has Mike York with more offense potential. 70-80 points with good two way play.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're getting the wrong impression. No one thinks you hate Zach Parise.

We think he can be thought of as a big-game player and you don't. We're discussing. That's it.

What you see of as his potential as a better York is the same thing I see as a potential big-game scorer. Not constantly every single solitary big game, but when it's needed. In other words, a Devils-type player.

Crosby is 16 and was given maybe 5 minutes of ice time that game. Parise had closer to 30 minutes in both Finlands and  Canada's game. That is a silly comparison.

Actually then it's perfect for my point.

There's no need to make any comparisons between apples and oranges players, in history or in style. We don't need to make them about Parise vs. Sakic/Yzerman, which don't make sense. Nor Crosby and Parise.

But coming in the talk was ALL about Crosby and a little less about Parise, and so they're not entirely unjustifiable either...

All I am saying is that Parise vs player his age and skill has been shutdown in big games where Sakic has not be shutdown vs players his age and skill. Nothing too hard to understand about that.

/me bangs head

Parise was shutdown vs Canada and a weaker Finland team. This was after dominatin the tourney up till this point.

Parise was shutdown vs Denver on Saturday to get eliminated. This came after dominating almost every team up till this game.

Parise was shutdown by Minnesota last year. This was after dominating the NCAA for the whole year.

Do you see the trand. A half decent physical defensmen can get Parise off his game. It happened with the Finish dmen (can't remember name) and it happened with Dion Phaneuf.

I don't think any of that nonsense matters. As ESB rightfully points out, and which you will readily agree to, Parise is not in Sakic or Yzerman's league. If he were, he wouldn't have been drafted 17th. And yes, I know Sakic was drafted around 13th. The point still remains, Parise's probably not going to be an elite #1 centerman.

What everyone's really up in arms about is that you've suggested that there is possibly anything negative to his game, Jason. I'm not saying there is or isn't, but I'm saying everyone should judge for themselves, because quite frankly, how he did or did not do against Finland, or against Denver, or whoever else, doesn't mean a thing. He's a professional hockey player now, let's see how he does against the pros.

Nigel Dawes scored two goals in Canada's loss to Team USA in the championship game. He was picked in the 5th round. Does this mean he's better than Zach Parise?

I'm a Ranger fan but do you know how stupid that sounds?

JasOn is young .. he also has this unfortunate disability -- he can't admit when he's wrong. He can say he's used ill-chosen words...he can say we cannot possibly understand his point because his superior self is so engrossed in the bush leagues and we're ugly Americans watching ESPN hockey with a can of Budwiser resting on out fat American guts...

he cannot admit flat out that he was wrong or that he misunderstood someones actually valid point without qualifying it. Guess he thinks he'll appear weak or not so smart or something. Don't know why that is -- maybe it's from banging his head a little too often as above rather than listening to what other people have to say beyond how it impacts his own "rightness"

After reading through this whole thread, I'm still not sure . . . he's signed a "professional contract", Lou welcomes him to the "organization". Is he for sure going to play with the Devils . . . now . . . not Albany???? (For all I know, maybe Albany's season is over?)

Anyway, if he's going to be with the Devils, this is very exciting. I remember watching the draft and how incredible it was that the Devils were able to steal him from under everyone else's noses. :evil:

I'm excited to have him, too, but he's not going to have an impact this year. The people that compared his impact to Spezza's are probably about right. It'd be nice to have him on the fourth line occasionally, though. You never know when he might plink in a goal or two.

Just think about next year, though (should there be one). Stevens back (hopefully, and maybe for the last time), Hale, Martin with a year under their belts, Demarchi up, Brown cut :evil: , Suglobov, maybe Pihlman, PARISE... the future looks pretty good.

I'm curious as to how he saw all 8 games of the US team at the world juniors. TSN didn't broadcast them and I don't think any of it was broadcast in the states except the gold medal game and that was after the fact.

Check out my location then check out the location of the WJC games last year.

Edit: Oops, I thouht I had my location under my avatar.....anyway I am from Sydney Nova Scotia. I seen every USA game. 4 in person and 2 on eastlink tv. Then this year two on TSN.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

risky-

to get suglobov, pihlman and parise into the line-up, i'm curious who you see leaving? are we going to replace the entire 4th line with these three? that really doesn't make sense as none of them are 4th line type players. however, you could make the case that a madden-pandolfo-brylin line is more of a 4th line checking line. if that's the case, then perhaps parise and one of the wingers could make the team and get a winger like langenbrunner to go with them. this still leaves the issue of what's going to happen with hrdina, rassmussen, stevenson, and marshall.

JasOn is young .. he also has this unfortunate disability -- he can't admit when he's wrong. He can say he's used ill-chosen words...he can say we cannot possibly understand his point because his superior self is so engrossed in the bush leagues and we're ugly Americans watching ESPN hockey with a can of Budwiser resting on out fat American guts...

he cannot admit flat out that he was wrong or that he misunderstood someones actually valid point without qualifying it. Guess he thinks he'll appear weak or not so smart or something. Don't know why that is -- maybe it's from banging his head a little too often as above rather than listening to what other people have to say beyond how it impacts his own "rightness"

Why should I give in when I am right. I'm sorry but I don't like 40 year old men taking stabs at me becasue I know something they don't. That something is prospects.

risky-

to get suglobov, pihlman and parise into the line-up, i'm curious who you see leaving? are we going to replace the entire 4th line with these three? that really doesn't make sense as none of them are 4th line type players. however, you could make the case that a madden-pandolfo-brylin line is more of a 4th line checking line. if that's the case, then perhaps parise and one of the wingers could make the team and get a winger like langenbrunner to go with them. this still leaves the issue of what's going to happen with hrdina, rassmussen, stevenson, and marshall.

lol.....there is just too many player we have.....It may just be better to send Parise to the AHL for a half a year till Lou can dump some bodies.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

risky-

Honestly? Friesen. He's going to be expensive come the next signing, and b/w last year and this year (2003 playoffs excluded), he just hasn't found a groove in NJ. Rasmussen isn't a permanent feature of this team, nor is Marshall (who is a UFA this summer... so he's gone). I don't think they'll all come up at the same time (Suglobov and Parise will be first), but there's room for those two, definitely.

And wouldn't it be nice to trade some extra-part big guns for a nice top-pairing D-man to step in for Scotty when he retires?

OK, here's my favorite thing about this signing. A Ranger fan on hockyrodent.com is calling the Devils "dopes" and claiming that they "overpaid" for Parise because his numbers and Umberger's were similar in the same year of college (not the actual same calendar year). And of course Umberger is asking for $1.2MM and Vancouver wasn't willing to pay it and neither is NY. Because Umberger and Parise were picked at about the same spot the guy says NJ are dopes for offering that much $$$...even though it is a signing bonus and a 2-way contract. He gets $80K if he doesn't make the NHL team next year and considering the fact that there is unlikely to BE an NHL season last year, Lou is likely to be paying him $80K.

Basically, the guy is upset because he thinks the Devils going about their business has made it harder for the Rangers to sign Umberger...who doesn't seem worth all the trouble in the first place.

Imagine a RANGER fan complaining that the Devils OVERPAID for a player.

:rofl:

Edited by SueNJ97

No wonder Lams didint make a major move at the deadline, he just decides to sign Parise, who will be a GREAT Devil sooner before later.

Even the Almighty Lou didn't know how deep UND would go in tourney...unless he gazed into his magic pitcher of Kool-Aid :evil:

No wonder Lams didint make a major move at the deadline, he just decides to sign Parise, who will be a GREAT Devil sooner before later.

Even the Almighty Lou didn't know how deep UND would go in tourney...unless he gazed into his magic pitcher of Kool-Aid :evil:

Maybe Lou consulted Miss Cleo.

Or maybe he has a Psychic Friends Network.

Never doubt the Power of Lou.

Why should I give in when I am right. I'm sorry but I don't like 40 year old men taking stabs at me becasue I know something they don't. That something is prospects.

Ehh.... exactlry who in this thread that you have discussed this with are you calling a 40 year old man? :blink: