Head Shots

peteyvegas

I hate that there is no word at all. No explination --nothing. I honestly don't think it's enough to say why it IS a suspension. You have to see why it's NOT or else it's just an arbitrary call all the same. Why does no one ever see things my way :angry:

For me - my thinking is that Shanahan has always hated the Devils. Who knows why :noclue: He actually enjoys being diplomatic, though it just doesn't ring true -- but he hates the team - he hates the logo. Maybe because it's a reminder of his failing as a player. Deep down he couldn't do it here and I personally dont think he ever made peace with that. He couldn't make the Blues who were on their way up winners and Stevens went and made the Mickey Mouse Devils winners. Shanny thought he was the guy -- but the Devils accidentally gave him a noooo you're not the guy lesson he really wasn't ready to deal with, Of course it's probably just what he needed - but he's a weirdo. I dont get "popular" guys like him. Never have. I'm better with either the insanely militant or the total clown. I get discipline and I get creativity. I do not understand diplomacy in that weird press the flesh palsy walsy way. Unless it's mockery -- then, well then it's right up my alley. But when diplomacy strays into dishonesty it gets me all confused.

(The other thing is Stevens isn't The Guy just because he's The Guy... he LISTENS. He LET the Devils make him the guy - hone his The Guy -ism. Shannahan didn't knwo how to listen and he prides himself on being an open diplomatic fair kind of guy. But he;s not .. All the circumstances around his leaving highlight all his character flaws and I'm sure it's a deep deep burn he can't shake. You knwo and for ME - it seems to just make him act all the worse. he can't go back and fix it when it comes to this team so he defends a$$holes like Avery and he ignores headshots and he goes along with the NHL --he's just blinded and he'll always have the niggling refusal to be fair to the logo. Even trying to make Marty his bud... he just can't do it - there's just that thing.

Stevens is mostly confidence and Shanny is mostly ego - the balance always needs to slide toward confidence to be a good trsutworthy person. Shanny wants to be a good person - to be a trusty-worthy person - and his ego just can't let him. Marty is fun because he is a complete balance of ego and confidence so it's hard to tell where you stand. Confidence is more trustworthy and Ego is just not trustworthy it will always be self serving where as confidence will always get a job done right at ANY cost. Shanny wants to be trusted... and will never be deeply and truly trusted like that - and that whole situation brings home why that is - he can't earn it because his ego won't let him be truly trustworthy. :noclue: )

Edited by Pepperkorn

PK, you should really add a tl;dr to the end of your massive walls of text.

Honestly, I don't see those "headshots" as suspendable. Also, no, I highly doubt he holds a grudge against the Devils. Let's stop with the "everyone hates us because of whatever retarded and sh!tty reason you can think of". It's childish.

Honestly, I don't see those "headshots" as suspendable. Also, no, I highly doubt he holds a grudge against the Devils. Let's stop with the "everyone hates us because of whatever retarded and sh!tty reason you can think of". It's childish.

I think it's Tyler Myers' responsibility to play the puck and notice that when a player is vulnerable to not lead with his shoulder/elbow and actually make a hockey play. There wasn't even an interference call on the play which there should have been. Then Matthias last night is allowed to knock Volchenkov out like he did and then take the liberty of taking Kovy's knee out from behind.

The NHL is trying to teach the players to take some responsibility when using their bodies. In both of these instances, the Devils player was hit in the head. That's what the league is trying to get rid of.

Edited by njdevil26

One of the problems is, the league got super strict in the preseason and now appears to be backing off. In the preseason if you hit a guy in the shoulder first but then knocked him out you got suspended, and the league said this was the new ruleset. Now we see straight headshots get nothing.

I'd prefer some of these headshots to get nothing, but the league needs to be clear about what is and isn't ok and their preseason structure has been very different than the seasons structure, which causes confusion.

I'm not talking about where or not it should have been interference, I am talking about whether or not Shanny should have been involved. I don't think so. I'm sure he reviewed it though.

In terms of the Meyers hit...

Meyers is what, 6'8? Zubrus potentially puts himself in a vulnerable position by reaching for the puck? Meyers is not a dirty player? Zubrus didn't leave the game?

Sorry guys, i don't see a suspension here.

I just threw in the Shanny thing as an aside. There weren't even penalties called on either of those plays. I thought there were clearly head shots. Chico said that last night's hit was a clean hit between the shoulders. How come Anton's face was smashed in?

Now why woudl I do that? I wouldn't post it if I didn't want someone to read it. That someone isn't you :) so you don't have to keep telling me you didn't.

I dont think they were suspendible either - that's EXACTLY why Shanny needs to SAY SOMETHING.

I do not approve of telling half a story. If this is an answer to public outcry about headshots then ALL headshots need to be covered. As it stands it's as if you pretend the acceptable headshots didn't happen -- but they still are THERE and they still are HEADSHOTS.

and I enjoy Shannahan's weird dislike of the Devils. Oh it's real. I don't give a fvck what you think is childish - I find discussing it highly amusing -- and that's what it's all about dude. :uni:

The point isn't were they clean the point is do you think Shanny should address why they are clean if he makes a big deal about why they're dirty.

This is BAD.

This is BAD.

That?... hrmeh I dunno -- what head shot? -- I dont even see a hit on the stats sheet -sooo - uhhh... how can there be a headshot?

I think that's a really stupid response and totally invalidates those stupid "This is Naughty" clips

As Devils731 said, I would also like the league to be clearer with what they view as a suspendable offense. With that said, I didn't think either hit was an offense that warranted a suspension.

Yeah because I haven't been saying that from the start <_<

I SAID IT FIRST IT"S ALL I"VE SAID ALL ALONG DAMMIT JUST BECAUSE I"M A GIRL YOU fvckERS! :rant: :rant: :rant:

( :giggle: )

those hits were not suspendable, lets not be homers guys

I love your avatar. It really makes me hope he stays even if it is photoshopped.

I think they set a precedent. You can 'target' the head so long as you keep your feet on the ice and your elbows down. That's what I see in both examples. This is a weird league where you can tap somebody on the gloves and get whistled for 2 minutes for hardly more than a dink, but you can charge somebody from 10 yards away, knock them flat with a blood injury too, and the opponents get 2 minutes instead. But if that's the interpretation, then we meet fire with fire.

I just think a head-first hit should be an automatic penalty, or let the players take care of their own, or let the mayhem ensue.

I think they set a precedent. You can 'target' the head so long as you keep your feet on the ice and your elbows down. That's what I see in both examples. This is a weird league where you can tap somebody on the gloves and get whistled for 2 minutes for hardly more than a dink, but you can charge somebody from 10 yards away, knock them flat with a blood injury too, and the opponents get 2 minutes instead. But if that's the interpretation, then we meet fire with fire.

I just think a head-first hit should be an automatic penalty, or let the players take care of their own, or let the mayhem ensue.

i don't agree, i really dont want those rules to be black and white... the high stick penalty is bad enough already, your stick can ramp up the other guy stick and goes up in his face and if he bleed well thats 4 minutes... and you had no intentions whatsoever...

so then if you want to hit a guy and he duck last minute and that you get his head + he get injured youre gonna get like 10 games and it wasnt your intention at all...

they really have to take each case differently and judge from the situation. you cannot have a black and white rule on this, but thats just my opinion

don't agree, i really dont want those rules to be black and white...

Ah well Sterio - we can agree to disagree on the automatic penalty. I can definitely see issues with making it automatic (e.g. a player dives in front of an attacker to block a shot, knowing he will get a knee in the face and the attacker had no chance to avoid it), but at least we would put the onus more firmly towards the hitter showing he made every effort to avoid the head hit.

Whatevs - if it's clear that if these incidents are not being called, and we are ending up on the worse side, then we need to rebalance the equation. Anyone over 6' 2" ... step up please for more training.