Madden re-signs with Devils

Lateralous

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ Hradek is on the SportsZone down here in Nashville, calling in from New York. He said the Madden deal is now official, and from what he's heard, it's a 5 year deal for $20 million.

:blink:

way too much, definately expect some trades for the sake of dumping salarys.

Given this contract, any guess as to what Gomez will get via arbitration? I still say Gomer is gone, especially now that Maddog has signed for this.

It could be Madden that is gone though. It sounds like there will be many Devils trades coming up in the future with salary as the main driver.

-Scott

If Madden really got that, god bless him and his family :blink: . I just cannot believe the Devils paid more than market value. That speaks volumes about what they think of him. I'd have given him a little over $3 million per as a max. They obviously value him a great deal.

Also, with them qualifying all these other players (Friesen, Kozlov, Hrdina), they're probably setting up for a trade. Lamoriello even hinted at that possibility in the paper. When you factor in that they have to sign Rafalski, Brylin, Gomez, Stevenson and Niedermayer that's a lot.

Given this contract, any guess as to what Gomez will get via arbitration?  I still say Gomer is gone, especially now that Maddog has signed for this.

It could be Madden that is gone though. It sounds like there will be many Devils trades coming up in the future with salary as the main driver.

-Scott

I don't think we would have inked him to a 5-year deal if he was the one to be traded.....

If it is four million, Stevens is almost surely not coming back.

The Devils are not going to trade John Madden. He just signed a five year deal, this isn't fantasy hockey. They could deal him at the deadline at the EARLIEST.

I thought it would be in the 3.5-4 million range, so I'm not too surprised.

Gomez is staying.

4 million is ridiculous for Madden, especially coming off a so-so season and a bad playoff, plus I just found out he was 31 and not 29.

As of now Madden= post injury Peca, but there is no way in hell Madden deserves pre injury Peca money.

Given this contract, any guess as to what Gomez will get via arbitration?  I still say Gomer is gone, especially now that Maddog has signed for this.

Yeah of course YOU say that, or is that the words of your "inside source"?

I thought I made it clear last time that "I" am not one of those guys that loosely just tries to make claims about possibilities and see if one of them comes true. It sounded like most others understood and agreed with that, but apparenty "You" have some type of a problem with me. I think the problem is that you're just an immature kid, which is fine, so I won't respond to anything else you post that is aimed at my direction.

4 million per season is overpayment for Madden. If Draper signed for 2.8 million per season, Madden should've signed around 3 million per season. One on one he's better than Draper, but this is not an individual sport. Oh well, whatever works for Lou.

But I have an honest question now. If Madden gets 4 million and if Nieds will get 7 million or more, how much money is left over for Gomez? And Gomez can take the Devils to arbitration. The Devils might chose to qualify him, then trade him or work out some other trades to reduce the payroll involving Friesen. It's not easy to trade a 3 million + earning player, but a guy like Gomez is an attractive commodity on the market.

Draper has 18 playoff goals in 148 games.

He has 108 goals in 724 games.

He is 33 years old.

Madden has 85 goals in 400 games. He has 13 goals in 80 playoff games. He is 31 years old.

If they keep Draper in the 4th line role he used to occupy, 2.8 million is overpayment. If they put Madden in the 19 minute a game, check the top stars role, and he scores 20 goals, he's worth the 4 million.

Draper is a 3rd line checking center who forms the best penalty killing duo in the league with Kirk Maltby. His job on the team is not to score goals but to prevent them. He is famous for shutting down big time players along with Maltby. He, along with Maltby always plays the most minutes in the playoffs. He's great. If Maltby makes 2 million and McCarty makes 2.25, Draper's 2.8 is justified. Coming from someone who has seen him play for the Winged Wheel for over 10 years, he is not someone whose value is measured with money. If more of my boys played like he does every night, we wouldn't be sitting at 3 Championships since 1997.

I think Madden is better than Draper, but I've said that before. It's not a competition but a mere comparison because of the current state of the NHL. The Flyers overpaid for Primeau and the Devils overpaid for Madden.

You don't overpay for players like Draper, Madden, and Primeau. It's why they're already resigned. And with Primeau's playoff, he deserves that kind of pay. I forgot he had such a moribund regular season.

I knew Draper was the penalty killer but I thought the checking line job usually fell to Sergei Fedorov under Scotty Bowman, much like Holik drew the assignment under Robinson, only to see Madden get the Selke Trophy (for being part of the penalty kill and 2nd checking line). I could very easily be wrong.

Edited by Triumph

That's not their roles now though Tri. They both play in the same role now. Why does one guy get $1.2 million more than the other? I still say he got a little too much. But compared to what the Leafs are doing, it's not bad. At least Madden is in his prime. He always plays hard.

I'd be curious to see what Conroy gets on the open market. He's just as good as those guys and might be better offensively.

The real problem is this. Who forced the Leafs to overpay for Belfour? Was there going to be another team giving him $11 million-a-year :blink: ???

When you see that, it just serves as further proof that even when there's supposed to be all this "economic change," management is paying for these guys. Makes Bettman look like a jackass. He's preaching an unrealistic $31 million cap and teams are already avoiding it and going about business. So, how is that the player's fault Gary? Are they holding a gun to these teams?

Here are player compensations off nhlpa.com. Draper and Modry were not listed yet.

Compensation: 2004/05 $1,100,000.00- Pandolfo

Compensation: 2004/05 $3,866,445.31- Madden

Compensation: 2004/05 $8,000,000.00- Belfour

Compensation: 2004/05 $3,750,000.00- Roberts

Compensation: 2004/05 $3,000,000.00- Nieuwendyk

Compensation: 2004/05 $1,400,000.00- Berg

Compensation: 2004/05 $4,500,000.00- Primeau

The first five guys in this list are all proven and have played key roles. But Aki Berg at $1.4 million???

One comment on Primeau. This is a guy who changed his game to suit the Flyers' need. He used to play more of a scoring role. I'm going to look up Keith's compensation for next year and see if it is exactly $4.5.

added

Edited by Derek21