Losing Our First Round Pick Question/

grcenter47

Let's say that for this coming draft, the Devils have the 17th pick in the first round. Then lets say the Devils make a trade during the season with a bottom tier team and we received a first round pick for this coming draft. If that first round pick we receive is a lot better than the 17th, would the NHL take the better one or our original pick?

What if they trade their 17th overall pick for a 30th pick+ prospect. Can we forfeit that 30th pick? Or will that consider circumvention again?

It's the pick they own.    If they opt out this year, which they probably will, that means their 1st round draft pick for next year is erased and there's 31 first round picks.

I'm not sure youre right here Max. In looking at the old writing clips I found it says the Devils "must surrender A first round pick" or something very similarly in the articles I found. In each case it definitely says "a" pick. It doesn't say they must surrender "their" pick. That is completely different and, frankly, even if Buttman intended it as forcing the Devils to surrender their own pick I would think uncle Lou could use this flabby wording to his advantage.

I'm certainly willing to be educated however. Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by AEWHistory

It must be the Devils pick. It's been asked and clarified before.

The only picks the Devils can give up is this year Devils first or next years Devils first, no others.

Yep, and I assume if the Devils were to trade their 1 this season, for whatever reason, the league would hold the trade and make sure they understood.   And when they did, they would nuke the 2014 pick.

There's nothing keeping them from getting different 1st round picks, but their own pick is either given up this year, or doesn't exist next year.   There's no middle ground.

Who gets that pick then? If the Devils forfeit one pick, then there is 1 less guy drafted in the first round or does the pick go back to the top of the order and the first team to chose gets another pick before the first round ends?

It's the pick they own.    If they opt out this year, which they probably will, that means their 1st round draft pick for next year is erased and there's 31 first round picks.

How are you getting to 31 first round picks in this scenario? Wouldn't it be 29?

Who gets that pick then? If the Devils forfeit one pick, then there is 1 less guy drafted in the first round or does the pick go back to the top of the order and the first team to chose gets another pick before the first round ends?

There's no way anyone gets an extra pick out of it. They will take ours away and the first round will consist of 29 picks. The draft class will be 1 shy of the normal 7rd x 30=210, though wikipedia says most of the last few drafts had classes of 211 players, except 2010 which had 210.

How did that work out to be?

Edited by ATLL765

There's no way anyone gets an extra pick out of it. They will take ours away and the first round will consist of 29 picks. The draft class will be 1 shy of the normal 7rd x 30=210, though wikipedia says most of the last few drafts had classes of 211 players, except 2010 which had 210.

How did that work out to be?

Teams can be awarded picks for various reasons. I believe the Rangers were awarded a 2nd or 3rd pick when their prospectdied in Russia. I also think there is some rule where if you can't sign your 1st round pick to a deal you get awarded a 2nd round. The details might be off but that's the jist.

Teams can be awarded picks for various reasons. I believe the Rangers were awarded a 2nd or 3rd pick when their prospectdied in Russia. I also think there is some rule where if you can't sign your 1st round pick to a deal you get awarded a 2nd round. The details might be off but that's the jist.

Good point, but can anyone name the reasons why it would occur more often than not? 2010 was the only year that had 210.

Year - Plyrs Drftd

2005 - 230

2006 - 213

2007 - 211

2008 - 211

2009 - 211

2010 - 210

2011 - 211

So why is it that all of those drafts other than 2010 had more than the 7rd x 30 team?

2011 - Montreal previously received the pick as compensation for not signing 2006 first-round pick David Fischer before August 15, 2010.[34]

2009 - 7.* On March 11, 2009, the NHL general managers agreed to award the 17th selection of the second round as a compensatory pick to the New York Rangers for deceased player Alexei Cherepanov.[18]

2008 - 3. * The Phoenix Coyotes' compensatory second-round pick, awarded for Blake Wheeler rejecting a Coyotes contract offer and becoming a free agent,[4] went to the Anaheim Ducks due to a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 27th-overall pick to Phoenix in exchange for the 39th-overall pick and this pick.

2007 - ^ See pick 16. Previously awarded to Minnesota as compensation for losing rights to 2004 first-round pick (12th overall) A.J. Thelen, June 2, 2007.

2006 - not sure, prob something along the previous lines

2005 - There were a ton of compensatory picks handed out mostly in the later rounds, I'm not sure exactly why but that was also the lockout draft.

Edited by squishyx