Kozlov accepts Devils' qualifying offer

CHICO IS GOD

7/16/2004

The New York Post reports that forward Viktor Kozlov has signed his one-year qualifying offer to remain with the New Jersey Devils at $2.3 million US.

By accepting his qualifying offer, Kozlov will become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Kozlov, obtained from the Florida Panthers prior to the March trading deadline, scored two goals and four assists in 11 games with the Devils. He played in just two of the Devils' five playoff games.

The two-time All-Star was drafted sixth overall by the San Jose Sharks in 1993. Kozlov has 132 goals in 599 regular season games.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=91236&hubName=nhl

Edited by RoughDraft

Kozlov is going to have a great year for NJ. (25-30 goals).

Maybe its possible to make kozlov into a holik (type) with his size. Or will that be

like putting lipstick on a pig?

Vince, it's pouring perfume on a pig :lol:

I just don't get that vibe on Kozlov being an impact player on this team... I can see those kind of number from Hrdina between Friesen and Langenbrunner though

Elias-Gomez-Anyone over 6 feet :P (I still like Marshall there don't care what y'all say)

Friesen-Hrdina-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta

Oliwa-Rasmussen-Brylin

Trade Kozlov I suppose

throw in some Albany kids

shine that sumbeatch up nice

... and enjoy this line-up in 2006 :blink:

it's a pretty solid line-up

Gionta is going to be on the top line. You just don't tear up the NHL's 2nd half best line.

why not.. the Flyers sure did :P

I don't care about a line that beats up and gets all its points on the Thrashers, Sabres and Rangers of the world and gets shut down 4 times out of 5 against a top level checking line... that happened to those guys all too often during that stretch

(I can't believe I'm saying this...) the EGG-Shells were no A-Line....

*gak*

I need to go eat lunch and remove that taste from my mouth :blink:

Kozlov will be playing with something to prove.

When you go from RFA to UFA status, you either get intp the upper salarly bracket, or you are just potential and older which equals very little $$$ wise.

Lou likes this situation, since it is a no lose.

I've seen Kozlov for years. He's got a lot of talent and a lot of ability. But he just doesn't seem to have the heart and will to get things done. Some guys just don't have that, we've had that discussion before. He's got a great life, some guys don't have that thing in the pit of their gut that demands they win.

I still think he can be better led, though.

Gionta is going to be on the top line. You just don't tear up the NHL's 2nd half best line.

Tear it up? They were our ONLY line that did ANYthing in the Flyer series. The only goals by forwards were scored by the EGG and Hrdina.

OK, Gionta works very very hard for us, he's got a lot of talent and guts and plays with a lot of energy. But we need someone to protect the other two guys AND be able to score.

It's not a knock on G at all, cause if we can get him to a second line, then THAT line can have some energy and fire to get things done.

Problem is now we have Parise coming up, and if he's theoretically second line, then we have two small guys there.

But as much as Lou berated the A Line for always wanting to stick together, Burns seems kinda stuck on some combos too -- EGG and Maddenbrunner. They play very well together, I can't say they don't. But we might be able to do even better with some tweaking.

Stuck some combos? Ok ill give you madden-pandolfo pairing which has been there for a couple years and is also fairly proven commodity. But I don't think I would ever call Burns stuck on any line combo, the guy shuffles our line up more than most in our league.

The EGG line has been around for around half a season and people are calling for its demise already? I think some of us might be tired of looking at it on our fantasy lines.

The A-line had Gomez

Actually, there are some who've never stopped calling for the EGG's demise. Some of that was backed up in the 2003 Cup run when Elias-Gomez were much more effective once G was subbed out for Marsh. Last year they improved, and it became easier to pull for EGG. But there's still that nagging fear... too small... not enough of secondary offensive threat there.

The threat is Elias. The enabler is Gomer. G does a good job of keeping pace with them, but wouldn't we still like an A level player with him who can be as threatening as Elias? Yeah, G hit the 20 plateau. We could do even better, if we had someone to draw the attention away from Elias. G, while he plays hard and goes to the net, doesn't really pull the D's attention off Elias as much as one might like. And that's the problem people have with EGG -- however great and fun they are.

I think we all agree we'd like more than one scoring line.

No, it's not really that there are lines Burns is stuck on, it's more like people placement he gets stuck on. He really loves G.

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau

Gionta puts more heart into every shift then any NHL player i have ever seen. how can anyone consider the second highest scoring player on the team last season not a threat?

he makes practiclly nothing and never complain's, just goes out and skates his lungs out, goes after the biggest guys, crashers the net, comes back and with a few seconds rest is ready to do it again.

he might be 5'6 or 5'7 and weighs some 175lbs soaking wet, he plays like a 6'5 230lb winger. IMO no one deserves to be on the first line more then Gionta.

Gionta puts more heart into every shift then any NHL player i have ever seen. how can anyone consider the second highest scoring player on the team last season not a threat?

he makes practiclly nothing and never complain's, just goes out and skates his lungs out, goes after the biggest guys, crashers the net, comes back and with a few seconds rest is ready to do it again.

he might be 5'6 or 5'7 and weighs some 175lbs soaking wet, he plays like a 6'5 230lb winger. IMO no one deserves to be on the first line more then Gionta.

I agree, is there any Devil that spends more time in the low slot getting beat up and scrapping for rebounds than Gionta? I don't think there is, the much larger Marshall and Stevenson seemed to want to play more in the high slot trying to release snap shots.

-Scott

Tear it up? They were our ONLY line that did ANYthing in the Flyer series. The only goals by forwards were scored by the EGG and Hrdina.

OK, Gionta works very very hard for us, he's got a lot of talent and guts and plays with a lot of energy. But we need someone to protect the other two guys AND be able to score.

Ideally the line needs to get more physical, but with the way the EGG played in the second half of the season and the playoffs, they deserve to at least start the next season together. Just like the GEM line deserved to start last season together after the 2003 playoffs.

Guest Devsrule
The Flyers STILL couldn't stop the EGG Line in the playoffs, the size difference wasn't a factor. They scored at home AND in Philly, so even when they had their matchups, they still scored. Somebody wasn't watching the right series this spring.

Of course they are going to get some goals. if you lose a series in 5 games then you were not affective enough.

The Flyers STILL couldn't stop the EGG Line in the playoffs, the size difference wasn't a factor. They scored at home AND in Philly, so even when they had their matchups, they still scored. Somebody wasn't watching the right series this spring.

Of course they are going to get some goals. if you lose a series in 5 games then you were not affective enough.

At first I was hoping you were being sarcastic here, but I highly doubt you were. Are you seriously expecting ONE line to carry the team into the next round? Wow, that's some crazy logic you have right there.

Four lines are needed for a team to be successful, not one. You cannot expect ONE line to do all of the damage...even on the New Jersey Devils. That's just plain dumb.