Parise Rips Devils' Style Hockey (Not really)

StarDew

Anyway, since the OP disappeared. I said I was doing my best imitation of  Chere/Miller NJ.com click bait headline. He wasn't ripping on the hockey, just realizing that dump and chase isn't actually the best tactics (and perhaps just because he was so successful at it, doesn't mean it is the best option).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/277016651.html

Anyway, since the OP disappeared. I said I was doing my best imitation of  Chere/Miller NJ.com click bait headline. He wasn't ripping on the hockey, just realizing that dump and chase isn't actually the best tactics (and perhaps just because he was so successful at it, doesn't mean it is the best option).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/277016651.html

The best forechecking team in the league is the LA Kings. Just saying.

I don't think he's wrong, but it takes skill and speed to be able to generate something off the rush.  And at least last year, the Devils lacked that..so I'm quite okay with the dump and chase style.

So that's two offensive stars that weren't thrilled with the dump and chase that just happen to be playing somewhere else now - Zach and Kovy.  Coincidence more than anything else, but still.

I also originally posted this companion piece for the original article:

“We went to the Finals dumping and chasing. We did it more than anybody. And we scored a lot.” And for players who don’t understand the probabilistic nature of hockey(hint: most surely don’t), that attitude is pervasive. You can win while dump-and-chasing, just like you can win without taking a lot of shots. But that doesn’t mean it will continue or that there aren’t problems.

“I just got kind of, not brainwashed, but my last couple years in New Jersey we were so adamant about dumping the puck in,” Parise says in Russo’s article. And so does every player. They grow up learning to play a certain way, and unless they’re lucky enough to pass through Kyle Dubas and Sheldon Keefe’s Greyhounds program, they likely never get what they’ve learned challenged. And the older you get, the harder it is to unlearn.

So let’s be Lilly for a moment, and consider the type of scrutiny that could lead a player to challenge his or her own views:

I’ve been told to dump the puck nearly exclusively in the neutral zone.

Why?

Because that’s the way it’s always been done.

But why?

Because you need to get the puck deep.

Why?

Because by getting the puck deep you can skate hard and go regain possession in the offensive zone.

But didn’t you already have possession? By carrying the puck in wouldn’t you be giving the puck up just to go get it again?

Well sure, but if you try to carry the puck in you might give up possession and cause a turnover.

But isn’t dumping it in essentially a turnover anyway?

Well kind of, but it would be a turnover in a less dangerous place.

But if you gain more possession, shots, and chances from carrying the puck in, isn’t it possible that you earn more net goals by carrying the puck in as much as possible, even if sometimes it results in dangerous turnovers?

http://aphockey.net/2014/09/25/on-zach-parise-players-using-analytics-and-healthy-skepticism/

If we (or many teams) had the elite/borderline-elite offensive firepower with 2-3 year window of them currently being in their prime, the way Minnesota does the next few years, I doubt we'd see as much dump and chase.

Stupid article. It's like the 1990s USA Olympic Dream Team criticizing the San Antonio Spurs' way of playing the Heat last year, except at least the Dream Team won stuff.

Puck possession is a great thing, and all teams would rather play with the puck than constantly chase it.  However, as others have said, you need the personnel to play that type of game.  Plus, when you do turn the puck trying to carry it in the zone rather than dump and chase, it will often lead to odd man rushes the other way putting a ton of pressure on your defense and goaltender.

I don't think you necessarily need exceptional skill to play a more possession type game through the neutral zone. Maybe some chemistry and understanding, but there's no reason the Devils can't simplify the rush and carry it more. I understand they're lining up with NHL defensemen, but I feel star power isn't absolutely necessary to play that type of game.