GDT: 12/11/14 Morris Moss v. Your Dad

CarpathianForest

Don't worry guys, apparently Pete is going to throw another player under the bus a la Brunner and all will be okay again.

Pete did that? Brunner did it to himself (and I have no ill will towards him), and Lou had a big part in getting rid of Brunner. A few more players should be gone as well. It won't improve the team, but it be better than watching some of these guys.

We are the Oilers of the East.  There is no compete with this team.  Buffalo and Carolina are two bad teams that still make you earn your win against them.  They may have a bad roster, but they actually put forth a good solid effort.  Florida is another team doing it. They're knocking on the doors for a playoff spot.  A good coach gets his team to actually compete as hard as they can.

This team may have old forwards, and a young defensive core.  But those old forwards are still good players.  We have like 5 players capable of putting up 50 points, and we have an additional 3 or so who can put up 40 points.  The talent level of the roster imo isn't bad.  But even if it is a bad roster, there is no excuse for just going through the motions and not competing.  I think it all comes back to coaching.

Good news is... everyone here who enjoyed this sily GDT last night and earlier today had fun at least for this part of the day.

everyone that took it with a sore ass like a grumpy old man stepping in his own pee.... well.... those guys had a sh!tty day all the way through. lol

DeBoer: "I think the effort was there. We've got to work smarter: less penalties, don't hand them any free goals."

haha fvck you Pete. Get out.

Good news is... everyone here who enjoyed this sily GDT last night and earlier today had fun at least for this part of the day.

everyone that took it with a sore ass like a grumpy old man stepping in his own pee.... well.... those guys had a sh!tty day all the way through. lol

DeBoer: "I think the effort was there. We've got to work smarter: less penalties, don't hand them any free goals."

haha fvck you Pete. Get out.

Tell me he didn't actually say that.

Pete did that? Brunner did it to himself (and I have no ill will towards him), and Lou had a big part in getting rid of Brunner. A few more players should be gone as well. It won't improve the team, but it be better than watching some of these guys.

You assessment is correct. How did Pete throw Brunner under the bus, Brunner did it to himself. Some fans

It's not just the coach, it's also the roster. This club needs an overhaul.

4 guys capable of putting up 50 points.  Elias, Jagr, Cammalleri, Henrique

A few other capable of at least 40.  Ryder, Havlat, Zajac, Zidlicky

How is the roster the problem?

he totally did.

DeBoer (#NJDevils PK 4-for-5 tonight): "We took way too many penalties; that's the story of the game."

fvck off Pete!  Good coaches are supposed to be as hard on the team as most of the posters in this forum are.  Coaches aren't supposed to be softer on them!

4 guys capable of putting up 50 points.  Elias, Jagr, Cammalleri, Henrique

A few other capable of at least 40.  Ryder, Havlat, Zajac, Zidlicky

How is the roster the problem?

No. These guys can put up those numbers as passengers on top lines with players that can drive play. Disregarding my disappointment in the deployment of the top 6, the group of 12 forwards out there are terrible.

Two 4th lines in your bottom 6 (production wise as Sarge said). The top line consisted of 42-year-old Jagr, Scott fvcking Gomez and Martin Havlat. It's 2014. They are slow and have trouble creating offense. If you can't look past coaching, that's too bad.

The group for the past 3 games is as bad as a forward group you will see in the NHL. It's trash.

Can I just make a stupid quip and get away with it? I'm not defending Brunner, he sucked. My post was just how it was phrased in the media. My point was to satirize the lack of accountability on the big players and the lack of personal responsibility Pete has taken thus far.

You'll note, that I have largely been a Pete defender up until these last few weeks.

No. These guys can put up those numbers as passengers on top lines with players that can drive play. Disregarding my disappointment in the deployment of the top 6, the group of 12 forwards out there are terrible.

Two 4th lines in your bottom 6 (production wise as Sarge said). The top line consisted of 42-year-old Jagr, Scott fvcking Gomez and Martin Havlat. It's 2014. They are slow and have trouble creating offense. If you can't look past coaching, that's too bad.

The group for the past 3 games is as bad as a forward group you will see in the NHL. It's trash.

Coaching is the biggest problem bro.  It doesn't change the fact that they don't compete.  If the roster is bad, fine.  But even if we were the Blackhawks right now, we'd still be sucking with Deboer as coach.

Worse rosters are better than us record wise, and we've had worse roster than this in the past and made it to the playoffs.

Edited by Mike Brown

Coaching is the biggest problem bro. It doesn't change the fact that they don't compete. If the roster is bad, fine. But even if we were the Blackhawks right now, we'd still be sucking with Deboer as coach.

Worse rosters are better than us record wise, and we've had worse roster than this in the past and made it to the playoffs.

That's BS Edited by BostonNala370

We are the Oilers of the East.  There is no compete with this team.  Buffalo and Carolina are two bad teams that still make you earn your win against them.  They may have a bad roster, but they actually put forth a good solid effort.  Florida is another team doing it. They're knocking on the doors for a playoff spot.  A good coach gets his team to actually compete as hard as they can.

This team may have old forwards, and a young defensive core.  But those old forwards are still good players.  We have like 5 players capable of putting up 50 points, and we have an additional 3 or so who can put up 40 points.  The talent level of the roster imo isn't bad.  But even if it is a bad roster, there is no excuse for just going through the motions and not competing.  I think it all comes back to coaching.

Oh Please.

I think it's fair to question whether the old forwards are really good players.  I'm not even sure a few of them can be considered close to average.  Zubrus is kind of a shell.  He's had a few decent games in the last 2-3 weeks, but he's not a guy who can bring his bread and butter game night in and night out, and his offensive ability some games just is not even there at all.

Elias may have just fallen off a cliff.  Even Jagr despite what some advanced stats say is just not what he was the past few years and looks a lot slower and less impactful.  Ryder is not what one would consider old age wise, but as a player who needs to score to be of any use or value returned, he might as well be filling out his retirement papers soon.  Havlat is what he is...........scores one game.........constantly injured the next 15 out of 20.

Jagr is still useful, but even he is showing his limits to a far greater degree than we've seen.    

Coaching is the biggest problem bro.  It doesn't change the fact that they don't compete.  If the roster is bad, fine.  But even if we were the Blackhawks right now, we'd still be sucking with Deboer as coach.

Nonsense.  And I don't even like Deboer.  Stop glossing over the obvious roster deficiencies and issues with evaluation that lie in the front office as well.

They are playing the Flyers. That alone is reason not to write them off tonight.

And all the while the Flyer fans were saying "We got this, it's the Devils." Ouch. Argh.

Time? I know you disagree but this team is better than this. If they're indeed not, then play the young kids. Why watch the same sh!t play over and over again? Even if they're a really bad team on paper, that doesn't excuse basic mistakes and terrible coaching.

But the team really isn't much better than this.  You've got aging guys, injured guys, scrap-heap guys.  Not only do they not score (57 GF in their last 28 GP), but as we're seeing, they also can't stop the other team from shooting at will.  The Devils have been outshot 933-781 on the season.  31.1 shots against per game.  These aren't the Devils we once knew.     

What young kids?  Boucher?  Sure, you could do that, but don't expect much from him (not right away, anyway, but I don't think he's going to be much of an NHL player).  You can bring up some of the mid-20s AAAA players from Albany if you want, but don't expect much from those guys either.  They're like many backup NFL QBs...there's a mystique about this guys until they actually start playing, and then you realize why they're not starters to begin with. 

This is going to be a step-by-step process.  The deadwood will have to be expunged...the returns on those guys will likely be minimal or flat-out nonexistent (as was the case with Brunner), but at least they'll be off the team.  But for now, yeah, it will probably be more of the same.  I don't know a coach on the planet who will get much more out of this team.     

This is going to be one of those years where you're probably going to just have to take the ugliness and the losing for a while.  I'm curious what Lou is thinking, re:  PDB.  It's getting to the point where Lou has to decide if he

• Like 1

But the team really isn't much better than this.  You've got aging guys, injured guys, scrap-heap guys.  Not only do they not score (57 GF in their last 28 GP), but as we're seeing, they also can't stop the other team from shooting at will.  The Devils have been outshot 933-781 on the season.  31.1 shots against per game.  These aren't the Devils we once knew.     

What young kids?  Boucher?  Sure, you could do that, but don't expect much from him (not right away, anyway, but I don't think he's going to be much of an NHL player).  You can bring up some of the mid-20s AAAA players from Albany if you want, but don't expect much from those guys either.  They're like many backup NFL QBs...there's a mystique about this guys until they actually start playing, and then you realize why they're not starters to begin with. 

This is going to be a step-by-step process.  The deadwood will have to be expunged...the returns on those guys will likely be minimal or flat-out nonexistent (as was the case with Brunner), but at least they'll be off the team.  But for now, yeah, it will probably be more of the same.  I don't know a coach on the planet who will get much more out of this team.     

This is going to be one of those years where you're probably going to just have to take the ugliness and the losing for a while.  I'm curious what Lou is thinking, re:  PDB.  It's getting to the point where Lou has to decide if he

... decide if he what...

Everything about what you said here is wrong. This roster is probably one of the worst NHL rosters in recent memory. Talent wise, we are certainly in one of the worst positions possible up front. We're bad and old. At least Carolina and Buffalo haven't hit their ceilings yet, not even close. And as those teams age, they'll be in a position to plug in a few ufas around a core. This team is just bad. This isn't pessimism, it's the truth. I'm also not moping around about it. Teams are bad, it happens, and I'm still watching every game like it matters. My only concern is that with this teams complete lack of exposure and absence of any real marketing, a consistently terrible team can hurt attendance numbers and the growth of the fan base.

Was anyone else in Philly last night? The place was about as dead as I've ever seen an NHL arena, and it was nearly full.

... decide if he what...

Whoops...cliffhanger.

Decide if the coach or the players are the problem.  I could be 100% wrong, but the fact that Pete's still here (and that his input seemed to have a lot to do with Brunner getting the heave-ho) tells me that Lou thinks it's more on the players at this point.