NFL Off Season 2015 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

The only good thing from a Jet perspective is he probably can't poach Mo Wilkerson from us since they already have a strong d-line in place.  But yeah this is gonna be a pain in the ass, I was really hoping he'd go to Atlanta though unfortunately they have fifty different factions over there giving Blank advice and most of them didn't want Rex.

I do want Rex to do well...but watch the NFL give us Bills-Jets at MetLife Week 1, I'm gonna be cringing the week leading up to that game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing from a Jet perspective is he probably can't poach Mo Wilkerson from us since they already have a strong d-line in place. But yeah this is gonna be a pain in the ass, I was really hoping he'd go to Atlanta though unfortunately they have fifty different factions over there giving Blank advice and most of them didn't want Rex.

..senseless. The whole thing is senseless. Rex spent 6 years on a team with no QB, in a Division sandwiched between a pesky up-and-coming Miami team, and a juggernaut Patriots team he never could get out of the shadow of.. and his next gig is essentially the same situation?! Senseless. Totally senseless.

This makes me wonder if the demand for Rex wasn't as high as some thought it would be. After all he went through since 2009.. you would've thought that he'd want to run from this Division\situation. But if the Bills offer, was the only real offer he received.. then he way not've had many different options.

That is a strange decision by Rex, he does essentially walk into a similar situation. Only Buffalo not only has no QB but no 1st round pick. The D is in place, Rex will only make them better.

Knowing Rex and how emotional he is, he took this gig because of unfinished business against the Patriots AND the Jets. I dont think he ever wanted to leave the division nomatter how unfavorable a situation he finds himself in.

Edited by '7'

..senseless. The whole thing is senseless. Rex spent 6 years on a team with no QB, in a Division sandwiched between a pesky up-and-coming Miami team, and a juggernaut Patriots team he never could get out of the shadow of.. and his next gig is essentially the same situation?! Senseless. Totally senseless.

This makes me wonder if the demand for Rex wasn't as high as some thought it would be. After all he went through since 2009.. you would've thought that he'd want to run from this Division\situation. But if the Bills offer, was the only real offer he received.. then he way not've had many different options.

The problem with Atlanta is they have a million different factions giving Blank advice and most of them didn't want Rex.  Chicago didn't want him for whatever reason (they don't like high-priced/high-profile coaches regardless).  Where else was he going to go?  Maybe he could have laid out a year and done TV but he could have felt the demand wasn't going to be as high next year as it could be in a weak market this year.

That is a strange decision by Rex, he does essentially walk into a similar situation. Only Buffalo not only has no QB but no 1st round pick. The D is in place, Rex will only make them better.

Knowing Rex and how emotional he is, he took this gig because of unfinished business against the Patriots AND the Jets. I dont think he ever wanted to leave the division nomatter how unfavorable a situation he finds himself in.

I forgot they have no first round pick lol...I'm sure the Revis to Buffalo rumors will start the minute after the season ends though.

The problem with Atlanta is they have a million different factions giving Blank advice and most of them didn't want Rex.  Chicago didn't want him for whatever reason (they don't like high-priced/high-profile coaches regardless).  Where else was he going to go?  Maybe he could have laid out a year and done TV but he could have felt the demand wasn't going to be as high next year as it could be in a weak market this year.

I forgot they have no first round pick lol...I'm sure the Revis to Buffalo rumors will start the minute after the season ends though.

That and Sanchez to Buffalo

I like the Mccagnan hire (yea I'll never get his name right) but he's supposedly a real good personnel/talent evaluator and we desperately need that after bean counter Idzik and his two botched drafts. You can always find an Idzik to work on contracts and watch the cap, but you need pure football people and it looks like this guy is pretty legit.

I wonder how the Jets/Bills rivalry will blossom now. It's going to be a war of words, Revis might end up there, Sanchez....those are going to be some strange strange games.

Rex in Altanta I'd fear. Rex on the Bills with Sanchez or some other halfwit QB will probably lost a lot of 12-9 games and end up 8-8 or so

Edited by '7'

If you're Rex, where would you go...the team with the strong defense, decent O-Line and solid running game (they do need a reliable RB though)....or the team that's all offense and a horrific defense and having that bad defense probably stains your rep as the "defensive guru"....plus like you guys said Rex knows how to win in this league WITHOUT a QB....that's kinda rare, and unless the Bills hit a miracle with a David Carr, or Russell Wilson there's no miracle QB coming in next year

and I also think he wants the chance to stick it to the Jets....and Has here's a WORSE scenario for you.... Bills at Jets Week 17....winner gets the last Wild Card Spot.....and NBC flexes the game :blink:

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten too much ink: Russell Wilson set to become the highest paid NFL QB.  For reference, the current highest-paid NFL QB is Aaron Rodgers at 5/110 or 22 million a year.

Putting aside the "does he deserve it" conversation, I will be personally intrigued to see how much Seattle has to dance to maintain its roster this coming year.  One of their primary team-building strengths was that the QB position was the cheapest/best value in the league.  Now they're going to erase that advantage a year early, with some important roster decisions coming up, notably Marshawn Lynch's 8.5 million dollar cap hit and Byron Maxwell's impending Free Agency (they'll also have to resign/replace Kevin Williams, Jermaine Kearse and starting LG James Carpenter, and figure out what to do with the playing time of Paul Richardson next year now that he just tore his ACL).

It's going to be extremely hard for Seattle to keep both Lynch and Maxwell unless Lynch agrees to an extension that pushes his cap figure down the road, unless Wilson agrees to play for the minimum next year again and starts his extension in 2016 (when Seattle has 73 million in cap room currently).

If you're Rex, where would you go...the team with the strong defense, decent O-Line and solid running game (they do need a reliable RB though)....or the team that's all offense and a horrific defense and having that bad defense probably stains your rep as the "defensive guru"?

..honestly, I would've went ANYWHERE but Buffalo Scott. The Bills offense was 27th this season.. with a QB that just retired who played pretty darn good for them. They have no legitimate quarterback.. 18 UFA's.. no first round draft pick.. and about 15 million in cap space next season. --And if all this isn't enough, didn't "upswing choice selection" make it into Rex's thought process? When Bill Parcells picks teams to coach, he typically picks them when they're in the basement. He took over a Jets team that was 1-15, with a defense ranked 30th in the league. There was nowhere else to go but up in that situation. But Rex Ryan (who prides himself on being a defensive guru) assumes control over a Buffalo team that won 9 games last season, and ranked 4th overall in defense. How much better can the Bills get?

But Rex Ryan (who prides himself on being a defensive guru) assumes control over a Buffalo team that won 9 games last season, and ranked 4th overall in defense. How much better can the Bills get?

this is an excellent point. i dont know what the bills schedule looks like but rex really needs to establish himself early on the yr if hes to have a sucessful season. he could go 8-8 with a defense that finishes 10  th and it would still be looked at as a step in the wrong direction due to the yr buffalo had in 2014

Here let me clarify what I meant by this

(also factor in two chances a year to stick it to the Jets which I'm sure mattered to Rex)

Rex had two main choices in coaching:

team 1: offensive juggeraunt, built around the QB and his receivers....a team and personnel built totally against the way he believes in how you win football, not sure of their cap issues off the top of my head, the odds of Rex being able to bring in "his kinda guys" was slim.....so the defensive numbers would not look pretty....and yeah I know most of us will say "well his players stunk that's why the D was barely top 15"....I don't think Rex's ego was willing to handle that

team 2: good defense.... GREAT front 4, decent running backs (but ditching Spiller and maybe make a run at AP perhaps?)...bring in an average QB like Sanchez...have a top end defense, and bring Buffalo back into the limelight after almost 2 decades of not mattering....there's a lot of appeal in that for Rex

the only other team I coulda seen him consider is San Fran....but I wouldn't wanna touch that QB with an electrified ten foot pole.....

and like Has and MD2020 said....the money was pretty epic......

Here let me clarify what I meant by this

(also factor in two chances a year to stick it to the Jets which I'm sure mattered to Rex)

Rex had two main choices in coaching:

team 1: offensive juggeraunt, built around the QB and his receivers....a team and personnel built totally against the way he believes in how you win football, not sure of their cap issues off the top of my head, the odds of Rex being able to bring in "his kinda guys" was slim.....so the defensive numbers would not look pretty....and yeah I know most of us will say "well his players stunk that's why the D was barely top 15"....I don't think Rex's ego was willing to handle that

team 2: good defense.... GREAT front 4, decent running backs (but ditching Spiller and maybe make a run at AP perhaps?)...bring in an average QB like Sanchez...have a top end defense, and bring Buffalo back into the limelight after almost 2 decades of not mattering....there's a lot of appeal in that for Rex

the only other team I coulda seen him consider is San Fran....but I wouldn't wanna touch that QB with an electrified ten foot pole.....

and like Has and MD2020 said....the money was pretty epic......

I honestly don't think "revenge" is in ANY way, shape or form a factor in this. 0.00% I would wager. Rex is a very sentimental, loyal person.. and he will always feel grateful that it was the Jets who gave him his first opportunity. He knows Woody's hands were tied in this, by means of fanbase. The only one Rex may have had an axe to grind with, was Idzik.. and he got his in the end. Otherwise there is no one in the Jets organization that Rex would want to stick it to. Not the personnel, not the players, not the owner.. nobody!

I genuinely believe the 2 reasons why he made this choice are;  #1. It was an astronomical amount that Buffalo offered.. and;  #2. I honestly believe the demand wasn't has high as Rex may've hoped. The only teams I heard mentioned were: Chicago, Atlanta, & Buffalo.. and if the Falcons & Bears decided to look elsewhere.. what other option(s) were there for Rex?

Kim Jones reported that the morning of Black Monday, Woody, Rex and Rex's wife basically had breakfast together. They laughed, they cried, they hugged.. and the basically went away saying: "if it doesn't work out wherever you go.. you'll always have a home here in the future."  --I never thought much of it after I heard her say it (because I always thought that Rex was going to go somewhere and be a success) ..but now, with him going to the Bills. Who the hell knows.. we may be looking at Rex Ryan, the Defensive Coordinator of the 2018 New York Jets.

That's harsh, but somewhat understandable.  Someone had to take the fall for two straight 1 and done playoff appearances.  There's at least two teams that should be on the phone now to get him lined up for interviews.

This really has no other place to go but here, but it's pretty cool.  12 year old writes all owners to ask who he should be a fan of, only one team responds.  Well played, team and youngster.

So Peyton's leg goes as weak as his noodle arm and you fire the defensive coach who couldn't turn water to wine with his gutless bunch of mercs the horse-faced GM brought in??? Yeah that's tossed under the bus....

That's harsh, but somewhat understandable. Someone had to take the fall for two straight 1 and done playoff appearances. There's at least two teams that should be on the phone now to get him lined up for interviews.

This really has no other place to go but here, but it's pretty cool. 12 year old writes all owners to ask who he should be a fan of, only one team responds. Well played, team and youngster.

Two one and dones? Denver was in the SB last year.

That is harsh but Glazier reporter the other day that him and Elway were not getting along. The man won a playoff game with Tebow at QB, and got that team to the playoffs. Hard to blame him for much of yesterday.

Fox was in a no-win situation in Denver. When they won, it was all Peyton. When they lost, apparently he was at fault. If they love Gase so much, and promote him...well that's fine I suppose, But didn't he call a dud of a game yesterday?

That is harsh but Glazier reporter the other day that him and Elway were not getting along. The man won a playoff game with Tebow at QB, and got that team to the playoffs. Hard to blame him for much of yesterday.

Fox was in a no-win situation in Denver. When they won, it was all Peyton. When they lost, apparently he was at fault. If they love Gase so much, and promote him...well that's fine I suppose, But didn't he call a dud of a game yesterday?

I was gonna say that too...but it's also hard to fault the playcaller when Peyton was clearly compromised the last month of the season.

There's also another possibility I saw floated, perhaps media speculation but Elway has always had a high regard for Shanahan, if they were going for a win-now coach for one or two more years of Peyton...