The One Player Who Cannot Be On This Team Next Year

Triumph

If they're rolling Mark Fraser out there instead you can be damned sure that Salvador is done as a player, I don't think its much to worry about....

3 years of Clowe....or mutilple seasons left of Zubrus....pretty frightening......

Zubrus' contract is up after next year I think. Not having capgeek.com anymore to check for these things sucks so bad.....

Edited by ATLL765

I can probably stomach another year of Zubie.  He is a non-factor when it comes to scoring but he does everything else pretty well (except the taking penalties part).

Like others have mentioned its really some of the other contracts that scare me.  Salvador will thankfully be off the books after this year but that Clowe contract is still the big albatross.  If he retires, does his entire cap hit come off the books or does a certain %?

I can probably stomach another year of Zubie. He is a non-factor when it comes to scoring but he does everything else pretty well (except the taking penalties part).

Like others have mentioned its really some of the other contracts that scare me. Salvador will thankfully be off the books after this year but that Clowe contract is still the big albatross. If he retires, does his entire cap hit come off the books or does a certain %?

I don't think so since he's signed to a 35+ deal. Or did those disappear with the new cba? He's certainly tolerable if he can be kept to a 4th line and pk only role. It's when he's being forced into a top 9 role that his total lack of offense really sticks out and drags down his line.

Like many other posters have said, I'd much prefer Ruutu to take the top 9 minutes that Zubrus is getting, but I think the coaching staff likes him in that role since they seem to think he can play center in a pinch over Ruutu.

Edited by ATLL765

We can LTIR Clowe, so his deal and situation doesn't bother me that much. If the Devils re-sign Salvador then someone has to be fired.

Without any doubt it's either Salvador or Zubrus. Since we are talking about "who shouldn't be on the team next year" and Zubs is still under contract for another year then I will go w/ Sal.

HM: Michael Ryder.

Ruutu has to be back next year with a bigger role. We still have to lineup a roster next seasom and comparing him to Ryder Zubrus and Havlat is insulting to him in my opinion. Ruutu is still a decent NHLer unlike the other three. He needs to be in the top 9.

Edited by Zubie#8

If Salvador wants to come back next year, I am of the belief that Lou will 100% bring him back. I expect Fraser to be in the organization as well.

Next year is going to be fun! 

If Lou brings back Sal next year then in my mind that is the final nail in the coffin that Lou must go.  There is no excuse whatsoever for him to be back next year.

Fraser I can at least tolerate...for a bit.

If Salvador wants to come back next year, I am of the belief that Lou will 100% bring him back. I expect Fraser to be in the organization as well.

Next year is going to be fun! 

Salvador is totally through.  He's played 15 games where he looked like he needed a walker then disappeared and now things are status quo with him.  There's no way he plays next year.

I don't understand the Ruutu hate.

While he is a slight step up from our usual 4th liners, I just don't think he's shown enough to make us think he'd be that much of an improvement over any of our current 3rd liners. I definitely don't think he should be top 6. Plus his contract is kind of big. But I do think he's more useful than Zubs at this point. He's probably trade-able too whereas I doubt Zubs is.

People are so funny, like it matters if Stephen Gionta, or Ruutu, etc are gone, like getting rid of one bit player would make even a shred of difference. Maybe if you trade Gionta for Kessel straight up, that'd make a difference. Otherwise it's not a 4th liner causing our problems or that would make any difference.

No fair, this thread is titled like clickbait!

Anyway, Stephen Gionta is your answer

Gionta is a 4th liner who the Devils' staff plays like a 4th liner and who is paid like a 4th liner.

Zubrus is a 4th liner that the staff does not play like a 4th liner, and who is not paid like a 4th liner.

They have scored at basically equivalent rates since Gionta became a member of the team despite Zubrus getting much more ice time with better players.  

People are so funny, like it matters if Stephen Gionta, or Ruutu, etc are gone, like getting rid of one bit player would make even a shred of difference. Maybe if you trade Gionta for Kessel straight up, that'd make a difference. Otherwise it's not a 4th liner causing our problems or that would make any difference.

I don't think that Dainius Zubrus is the cause of NJ's problems.  However, removing Dainius Zubrus will at least show that management is seeing what's happening on the ice.  I know Zubrus is a popular guy in the locker room and he's been a good player for the Devils for 8 seasons now, but he's just through as a player who is effective outside a 4th line role, and even that's in question.  He's symbolic of what's wrong with the Devils' forward corps.  It won't even make the team better to do this really, but he's the deadest piece of weight NJ's got there.

Problem is we have 2 4th lines, 1 3rd, and maybe one 2nd. Too many 4th liners.

Pretty sure Zubrus has to lead the league most ice-time per point -- a point per 91.71 minutes of total ice time. Considering who his most common linemates have been (a little help), that's just dreadful. 

Free Ruutu!

I know that isn't true - Manny Malhotra has been much worse, and heck, if you take away the PK, Jacob Josefson is worse among Devils' forwards.  Still, it's just not good enough.