Happy Anniversary of Brodeur breaking the wins record

roomtemp

I was there I got it all on camera it was also a big night for party but it was understandably overshadowed one of the best games I have been at

Edited by bishops317

Holy shizit...that was 6 years ago already?  Feels like it's been two, tops. 

Best thing was the "second" time he broke the record...552 excluding shootout wins.  That got mild mention, but I do remember some people (mostly idiot Ranger fans) making it sound like 100 wins or so of Marty's 552 to that point came by shootout. 

That was an amazing night. The only time I've heard the Rock louder was when we beat the Rags in 2012.

I was there for that one too.  Was a lot of fun.  Without looking up the details, I remember the Devils scoring really early in that one, having a 3-0 lead, then having to hang on a bit at the end.  I know they won 3-2. 

what a great game to be at.  It really came down to the wire too, 3-2 with chicago getting some quality late chances in front

1 minute after breaking the record...give Brodeur cheap scissors and try the impossible task of cutting the net off in a short period of time. That was always a weird one.

I was at the Marty record game as well sitting in section 113 if I remember right.  Felt great for both Marty and Patty and Marty was only playing is 5th or 6th game since returning from injury (or something like that).  Wonderful night for everyone.

1 minute after breaking the record...give Brodeur cheap scissors and try the impossible task of cutting the net off in a short period of time. That was always a weird one.

lol I found that weird too.  I felt like that was more of a basketball tradition than a hockey one.  They should have given him some good Cutco scissors at least lol.

I was at the Marty record game as well sitting in section 113 if I remember right.  Felt great for both Marty and Patty and Marty was only playing is 5th or 6th game since returning from injury (or something like that).  Wonderful night for everyone.

lol I found that weird too.  I felt like that was more of a basketball tradition than a hockey one.  They should have given him some good Cutco scissors at least lol.

haha yes but im sure it made it all that much more sweet for him when he finally cut it off and held it up

Yeah definitely doesn't feel like 6 years ago, but wow, Holik was on the team then?!  Feels like he retired 20 years ago.  

lol I too have to remind myself too that Holik was on that team (Shanny signed on about halfway through the season as well).  If I recall Holik was injured for a decent amount of games that year (or possibly scratched) and was a non-factor through much of the season.  It is another one of "oh what the hell for old time's sake" signings by Lou.

lol I too have to remind myself too that Holik was on that team (Shanny signed on about halfway through the season as well).  If I recall Holik was injured for a decent amount of games that year (or possibly scratched) and was a non-factor through much of the season.  It is another one of "oh what the hell for old time's sake" signings by Lou.

he did get credited for a goal that hit him in the face.

Also this game doubles as the night the 2009 Devils season pretty much ended. 23-6 stretch once this game finished, and then everything fell apart.

Remember that part too unfortunately.  The 2 months prior had a somewhat similar feeling as to the run the Devils had in Feb/March of 2001 during their historic run that included a 10+ game winning streak.  Parise also put up a 94 point season and Zajac put up a career year as well with Elias putting in a 70+ point year as well.  Coupled with the Shanny signings and Brodeur's return and Clemmer filling in prior to that very well, it was just such a shock to see the team fall apart the way they did.  Still the worst feeling I have ever had as a fan after 94 and the 2001 SCF.

Great night. Best part was Elias finishing the feed from Gionta, thereby making that game a party.

Best thing was the "second" time he broke the record...552 excluding shootout wins.  That got mild mention, but I do remember some people (mostly idiot Ranger fans) making it sound like 100 wins or so of Marty's 552 to that point came by shootout. 

I remember a lot of Colorado fans getting in on that crap too.

That was an awesome night. I always felt bad for Elias that him becoming the all-time franchise leading point getter was completely overshadowed. 

I think there is some truth to the idea that the night was overshadowed by Marty's victory. However, to me, now I think breaking the scoring record is more memorable, than ever; Elias helped to cement Marty in the record book. And there is some divine coincidence going on when somehow Marty and Patty ended up breaking the records on the exact same night. The chances were just soooo slim; it's just fvcking incredible really that it happened like that.

Best game I've been to live. I remember Elias had a great hat when he got 2nd star.