Devils 7th in STH sales, + 200% in revenue

Zubie#8

http://blog.northjersey.com/meadowlandsmatters/11356/devils-name-two-to-new-executive-roles/

If true these are some pretty amazing numbers for such a bad team on the ice for the past three seasons. These owners know what they are doing. I am curious if this is true that the Devils have the 7th largest FULL season ticket holder pool. I know my agent two or three years ago said we had 10,000 season ticket holders. We just have such weak walk up demand.

EDIT: Is that 200% increase the total revenue of the team or just revenue from corporate sponsors?

Edited by Zubie#8

That's great! I know too many Devils fans will spin this negatively, but screw it, this is positive news. We want the Devils to be a cash cow for these guys, we want them to invest in the team, invest in the players.

How this translates to the kind of budget Lou can use and go into trades with (a Kessel trade?) remains to be seen, but let's hope for the best.

Good news all around.  However, I think the 200% increase was with respect to revenue generated through corporate partnerships, not overall revenue for the team or the arena.  Still, that is a huge increase.  The team has to be pleased as this was something the owners said they would focus on when they took over, and it looks like they have succeeded in their efforts thus far.

I will be interested to see how renewals go this season (for the 2015-16 season).  Hopefully the new "flex" plan draws more people in as it seems like a really good option for people that want to go often but can't attend all of games or don't have seats that are cheaper for full seasons than the cost of the minimum buy-in on the flex plan.   

Edited by Chuck the Duck

That's great! I know too many Devils fans will spin this negatively, but screw it, this is positive news. We want the Devils to be a cash cow for these guys, we want them to invest in the team, invest in the players.

How this translates to the kind of budget Lou can use and go into trades with (a Kessel trade?) remains to be seen, but let's hope for the best.

Anyone who tries to spin this negatively is a tremendously huge fvcking dipsh!t. There's literally nothing negative about any of this.

Good news all around.  However, I think the 200% increase was with respect to revenue generated through corporate partnerships, not overall revenue for the team or the arena.  Still, that is a huge increase.  The team has to be pleased as this was something the owners said they would focus on when they took over, and it looks like they have succeeded in their efforts thus far.

I will be interested to see how renewals go this season (for the 2015-16 season).  Hopefully the new "flex" plan draws more people in as it seems like a really good option for people that want to go often but can't attend all of games or don't have seats that are cheaper for full seasons than the cost of the minimum buy-in on the flex plan.   

I had been told that the corporate revenue was pretty damn non-existent, especially for a big 4 sports franchise, so that increase may not be as impressive as you think. It's a step in the right direction. i am curious to know the dollar amount though.

I had been told that the corporate revenue was pretty damn non-existent, especially for a big 4 sports franchise, so that increase may not be as impressive as you think. It's a step in the right direction. i am curious to know the dollar amount though.

Just the fact that corporate revenue was next to non-existent is almost unbelievable.  A large chunk of their non-hockey existence is to advertise for their sponsors.  The fact it was next to nothing shows how badly it was mismanaged by the previous ownership/management.

Just the fact that corporate revenue was next to non-existent is almost unbelievable. A large chunk of their non-hockey existence is to advertise for their sponsors. The fact it was next to nothing shows how badly it was mismanaged by the previous ownership/management.

Apparently JVB didn't have many friends among corporate sponsors near the end. If I remember correctly, a couple of the sponsors sued the team for various reasons. It was ugly.

Anyone who tries to spin this negatively is a tremendously huge fvcking dipsh!t. There's literally nothing negative about any of this.

I don't want to be nor will I be Debbie Downer here, as this is truly great news and encouraging, BUT...my only question is -- why does the arena look so empty on most nights.  I know it's weather, and also weak walk-up and foot traffic as someone else suggested, but that can't be the only cause, or even the main cause, otherwise we'd had a TON of people who are essentially just wasting their money and buying tickets, but not showing up to the games.

Either way, I'm glad the team is doing well financially, especially when it was pretty bleak and questionable several years ago during the Vanderbeek era.

I don't want to be nor will I be Debbie Downer here, as this is truly great news and encouraging, BUT...my only question is -- why does the arena look so empty on most nights.  I know it's weather, and also weak walk-up and foot traffic as someone else suggested, but that can't be the only cause, or even the main cause, otherwise we'd had a TON of people who are essentially just wasting their money and buying tickets, but not showing up to the games.

Either way, I'm glad the team is doing well financially, especially when it was pretty bleak and questionable several years ago during the Vanderbeek era.

Because nobody goes to these games, especially during the week against a non-rival.  I don't know if its because this fanbase is cheap, indifferent, or non-existent, but it has been the same story for as long as I can remember as far as attendance goes.  It was the same story in the Meadowlands, except for the fact that the CAA was larger and there were no club seating at $200 a pop, so the lower bowl looked more full.  

Glad the team is profitable.  Enables Lou or the future GM to spend as he desires, I guess.

And I'd say it looks empty most nights because the hockey this team plays is more boring than watching paint dry.  Hockey is supposed to be about entertainment, after all.

Apparently JVB didn't have many friends among corporate sponsors near the end. If I remember correctly, a couple of the sponsors sued the team for various reasons. It was ugly.

He burned many bridges with them.  Need I even mention the Verizon Tower incident?

I also recall last year that the new owners said that at the time they bought the team, the Devils were involved in over two dozen (IIRC) lawsuits at the time of closing.  They said they knew they had some, but were surprised at how many there actually were at the time of the closing (that I am not sure I believe that they were caught off-guard as to how many exactly).

I clearly remember 2 of the lawsuits from the JVB days.  One was Centerplate suing JVB for non-payment, thus the reason why they switched to Aramark for the last year of his ownership and last year with the new ownership.  The other was JVB suing the vendor whose employees cleaned up the arena after each event.  Jeff claimed they did a bad job and that they caught some of their employees drinking out of half-empty beer bottles/cups while they were cleaning.  I also want to saw there was a lawsuit between Jeff and the Newark Nut Company but cannot remember for sure.  I think it was over their contract.

I also wonder how much of this has to do with the departure of the Nets. My guess is that some corporations has Devils seats and others had Nets seats, but the companies with Nets seats have been moving over to the Devils.

Glad the team is profitable.  Enables Lou or the future GM to spend as he desires, I guess.

And I'd say it looks empty most nights because the hockey this team plays is more boring than watching paint dry.  Hockey is supposed to be about entertainment, after all.

This is why I don't mind the new management trying something, anything different to get people to come.  Some of the things are successful and some have been failures, but can't say they aren't trying.  Can't really bank on the fans who cry "I won't come if the on-ice product stinks!" crowd, especially when the team is not exactly good to say the least.

He burned many bridges with them.  Need I even mention the Verizon Tower incident?

I also recall last year that the new owners said that at the time they bought the team, the Devils were involved in over two dozen (IIRC) lawsuits at the time of closing.  They said they knew they had some, but were surprised at how many there actually were at the time of the closing (that I am not sure I believe that they were caught off-guard as to how many exactly).

I clearly remember 2 of the lawsuits from the JVB days.  One was Centerplate suing JVB for non-payment, thus the reason why they switched to Aramark for the last year of his ownership and last year with the new ownership.  The other was JVB suing the vendor whose employees cleaned up the arena after each event.  Jeff claimed they did a bad job and that they caught some of their employees drinking out of half-empty beer bottles/cups while they were cleaning.  I also want to saw there was a lawsuit between Jeff and the Newark Nut Company but cannot remember for sure.  I think it was over their contract.

Two dozen lawsuits? Did JVB realize he was running a hockey team and not a law firm?

Two dozen lawsuits? Did JVB realize he was running a hockey team and not a law firm?

That's about what I heard.  Not 100% sure on it but there was an article either earlier this season or last season where one of the execs (not sure if it is Josh, David, Scott or Hugh) who said they were very surprised at the amount of lawsuits the Devils were in.  They said they expected some as there usually are, but the Devils were involved in an unusually high amount of them as both Plaintiff and Defendant.

Edit: Here is an article about some of them shortly after the ownership change:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/08/angry_contractors_file_suits_against_indebted_devils_before_teams_320m_sale.html

Edited by DevsMan84