Devils Closing in on Signing Miles Wood to ELC

Derlique

Really happy that Shero was able to get this done now. I wasn't worried about him ever going the FA route, but I was worried he'd want to stay in college to get his degree similar to the extra year he did at Nobles. Thrilled he's going pro for his age 21 season rather than 24. He's a strong kid that plays a tenacious game. I can see him transitioning to the pro game well.

Glad he's in the fold, not delighted about the fact that NJ is burning a year to get him there.  This is a case where Lou's old maxim applies - when you have time on your side, you use it - and indeed the Devils don't have any impending salary cap issues and shouldn't do anything that would potentially cause Wood to go elsewhere.  Still, it sets a not great precedent.

34 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Glad he's in the fold, not delighted about the fact that NJ is burning a year to get him there.  This is a case where Lou's old maxim applies - when you have time on your side, you use it - and indeed the Devils don't have any impending salary cap issues and shouldn't do anything that would potentially cause Wood to go elsewhere.  Still, it sets a not great precedent.

This appears to be a league-wide trend, or it's quickly becoming one, that Shero didn't start. I imagine Lou never wanted to give out NMCs originally, but that's what the market ultimately demands.  

Does it affect waiver eligibility?  Meaning, is Wood waiver eligible once his ELC expires, or does that date get pushed back based on when he cracks an NHL roster and the amount of NHL games he plays?  Even if it's the former, I suppose it's not that terrible in that he's old enough already that we'll know whether he's actually worth keeping off waivers in two years, and it likely will not be the case that an extra year in the AHL will make a big difference in his development.  And even when we thought that was the case with Matteau, it's starting to look more and more like he just wasn't that good to begin with, and the Devils managed to get a decent return for him anyway.  

Otherwise the fact that players like Wood and Santini could be due for a big pay raise in two rather than three years means that they will have turned out to be very good players, which is not a bad problem to have.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This appears to be a league-wide trend, or it's quickly becoming one, that Shero didn't start. I imagine Lou never wanted to give out NMCs originally, but that's what the market ultimately demands.  

Does it affect waiver eligibility?  Meaning, is Wood waiver eligible once his ELC expires, or does that date get pushed back based on when he cracks an NHL roster and the amount of NHL games he plays?  Even if it's the former, I suppose it's not that terrible in that he's old enough already that we'll know whether he's actually worth keeping off waivers in two years, and it likely will not be the case that an extra year in the AHL will make a big difference in his development.  And even when we thought that was the case with Matteau, it's starting to look more and more like he just wasn't that good to begin with, and the Devils managed to get a decent return for him anyway.  

Otherwise the fact that players like Wood and Santini could be due for a big pay raise in two rather than three years means that they will have turned out to be very good players, which is not a bad problem to have.  

Yes, he's waiver-eligible a year earlier but I really don't care about that - if these guys aren't NHLers by 2018, they're not going to be very good.

I also don't think they're arbitration eligible at the end of their deals but I'm on a phone and am not going to dig up the CBA now.

One thing I have realized is that this staggers things somewhat - if Zacha starts next year, it means Wood and Santini are RFA in 2018, Zacha and Quenneville in 2019.  Having all 4 go RFA the same year isn't ideal.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Yes, he's waiver-eligible a year earlier but I really don't care about that - if these guys aren't NHLers by 2018, they're not going to be very good.

I also don't think they're arbitration eligible at the end of their deals but I'm on a phone and am not going to dig up the CBA now.

One thing I have realized is that this staggers things somewhat - if Zacha starts next year, it means Wood and Santini are RFA in 2018, Zacha and Quenneville in 2019.  Having all 4 go RFA the same year isn't ideal.

With what happened with Vesey I'm glad NJ didn't gamble any further with Wood. Players are getting paid much quicker these days anyway, if Wood ends up being a core player NJ will most likely sign him up long term.

6 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

With what happened with Vesey I'm glad NJ didn't gamble any further with Wood. Players are getting paid much quicker these days anyway, if Wood ends up being a core player NJ will most likely sign him up long term.

Yeah, I also had the Nashville situation on my mind when I saw he was a freshman, glad we aren't facing a similar black eye/he said-he said crap

[EDIT: I havent been paying much attention to our prospects at all, hence me realizing today he's a freshman]

Edited by jagknife