2018 WJC Thread

Derlique

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Zetterlund just went coast to coast to score a fvcking awesome goal. 2-0 Sweden. 

Two angles :evil:  Also: 

Ian Pulz Retweeted Chris Peters‏ Verified account @chrismpeters 

Fabian Zetterlund (NJD) scored one of the nicest goals I’ve seen in the WJC (goal of tournament still Mittelstadt’s. Long rush, great moves and with GM Ray Shero in the house.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 4:47 PM, Daniel said:

People tend to go crazy over WJC results.  Jesse Puljarvi tore it up at a younger age, and he has still not cemented himself as an NHL regular.  

Im sure there are lots of other WJC standouts who didn’t amount to much as pros.  

What are you talking about, Puljujarvi is still a teenager and has been playing on a line with Connor McDavid. There are very few big time WJC performers over the past decade that haven't become regular NHLers. Go flip through the Wikipedia pages and look at the MVPs and top scorers.

Fox just got burned. Can't have another let down to Russia.

I'm still disgusted by that Devils game but the USA played well enough but the d-men had some brain farts during the Russia goals. I definitely think they deserved the win but the game was closer than I would have liked.

So happy to see that the Russians can't even medal this year, I think they said this is the first time in 7 years that they haven't been in a medal game. 

I also watched the entire Sweden vs Slovakia game and Sweden looked beatable, Slovakia blew a chance to really hurt them, they had almost a full 2 min 5 on 3 pp and couldn't score. 

I think it will be a real close game but I think they can take Sweden. 

Canada is probably going to steam roll over the Czechs who I wasn't impressed with at all besides their goalie. Ya never know though. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

US will be heavy favorites, for good reason.

I don't necessarily agree with that, of course it hinges on if Andersson is healthy for that game but they have one of the most potent lines in the tournament with Andersson - Pettersson - Nylander (the latter two I think are two of the top 3 forwards in the tournament), three tremendously talented defensemen in Dahlin, Liljegren, and Brannstrom, and solid depth all around. The US could beat them in the semis, but I could just as easily see Sweden going on to win gold, I think this is going to be USA's toughest game yet. Sweden struggled a little against Slovakia in their quarterfinal matchup, but that's also a Slovak team that the US lost to, they weren't a pushover this year.

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Canada is probably going to steam roll over the Czechs who I wasn't impressed with at all besides their goalie. Ya never know though. 

Canada will probably win decisively, but I wouldn't sleep too much on the Czechs, they have considerably more star power this year compared to previous years. Necas and Chytil were both 1st rounders last year, Zadina looks like a top 4 pick in this year's draft and both Martin Kaut and Jakub Lauko could join him in the 1st round. Not to mention some solid depth as well with guys like Albert Michnac, Kristian Reichel, and Libor Hajek, they're not a powerhouse but they're also not the cute little scrappy team of year's past either, teams gotta play em seriously or else they'll get burned.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't necessarily agree with that, of course it hinges on if Andersson is healthy for that game but they have one of the most potent lines in the tournament with Andersson - Pettersson - Nylander (the latter two I think are two of the top 3 forwards in the tournament), three tremendously talented defensemen in Dahlin, Liljegren, and Brannstrom, and solid depth all around. The US could beat them in the semis, but I could just as easily see Sweden going on to win gold, I think this is going to be USA's toughest game yet. Sweden struggled a little against Slovakia in their quarterfinal matchup, but that's also a Slovak team that the US lost to, they weren't a pushover this year.

They're a potent power play line but they haven't been very good at 5v5. The US take the fewest penalties, you do the math. Andersson did not look good playing through that injury last night and without him the deck needs reshuffling and I don't like the other options at C in terms of match-ups. 

The defense is obviously great, and they do their part. Issue is too much of the offense runs low to high via the defense.

9 minutes ago, Marshall said:

They're a potent power play line but they haven't been very good at 5v5. The US take the fewest penalties, you do the math. Andersson did not look good playing through that injury last night and without him the deck needs reshuffling and I don't like the other options at C in terms of match-ups. 

The defense is obviously great, and they do their part. Issue is too much of the offense runs low to high via the defense.

I very much see the US as a one line team right now as well however, this US team has run off of the Mittelstadt line and something the Sweden team has done so well is mitigate the effectiveness of other teams top lines, and that blue line is naturally a big part of that and Gustavsson has been no slouch in goal for the Swedes. Certainly not saying Sweden is leaps and bounds better than the US, merely saying I think the teams are on pretty equal pegging, I have a hard time picking a favorite in this matchup because I think it's arguably the two best teams in the tournament meeting up in the semis.

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Just curious where you found the YT link.  I haven't been able to get a good source for YT streams for WJC games.

if i tell you i'd have to kill you.

Kidding.

Just go on reddit and search for "hockey stream". Then they have a thread called "Your new home to find and post WHL OHL AHL QMJHL NCAA and World Cup of Hockey streams".

Boom. 

Edited by SterioDesign

At least you could say it made sense playing in their stadium to wear them even though I didn't like them then either. 
1-0 Sweden, must be the Bills jerseys, choking when it matters most lol

Wear Bills jerseys, get Bills results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2