GDT: Devils @ Capitals, 4/7/18, 7:00pm

mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s near impossible to understand. I said you can’t knock a guy for playing, you said nobody was, but then you knocked him for playing by saying Hall not playin* was the entire point. 

Or should he have played and stood at center ice while he was in arms reach of 50 goals? 

You can't understand, then you can't understand but my main issue is he should have had a reason to play, aside from wanting to chase stats.Then if he's playing, maybe don't celebrate your goals as if you just won game 7 and yeah, it's a little embarrassing when you're going out there each shift and pressing hard to personally score against a shorthanded team, risking your health and sacrificing rest in doing so. And it's pretty bad to watch the entire team pass you the puck so you can score at the end of a meaningless game with the playoffs ahead. Hockey is supposed to be a team game. Is it irrational that he wants to chase 50? No, of course not and no one should argue so, but it certainly sends the message that it's about Ovie, not the team.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Hall is playing in his first playoffs and elected to rest.

ovechkin is trying to win his.... how many Rocket Richard’s does he have now? 

And again — this place practically squirted when rico and palms got #30 in game 82, on a team that wasn’t in the playoff push by Valentine’s Day. The only difference? They wear our sweater.

Using common sense and actual facts to expose double standards from some fans with blinders doesn't work great here bud lol trust me I've been trying for years

it kind of feel like this

piazza-tienanmen-bloccati-twitter-flickr

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You can't understand, then you can't understand but my main issue is he should have had a reason to play, aside from wanting to chase stats.Then if he's playing, maybe don't celebrate your goals as if you just won game 7 and yeah, it's a little embarrassing when you're going out there each shift and pressing hard to personally score against a shorthanded team, risking your health and sacrificing rest in doing so. And it's pretty bad to watch the entire team pass you the puck so you can score at the end of a meaningless game with the playoffs ahead. Hockey is supposed to be a team game. Is it irrational that he wants to chase 50? No, of course not and no one should argue so, but it certainly sends the message that it's about Ovie, not the team.

He did have a reason, he’s paid to play.

The “ celebration” is being blown way out of context, frankly. 

The entire team passed to him because he was close to a milestone and they had already won. That’s the team trying to pick up its star player, that’s how a team works. Did you ever play hockey? You never had two goals and your team tried to feed you the third??

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Also, fvck you Ovie, no 50. Here's hoping for a first round exit as well.

Well we can agree on that. 

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So your biggest issue is how he celebrated? 

Hockey has always been about the superstars. Name a third line player on gretzky’s Oilers or lemieux’s penguins. And if he was not “team first”, why would the entire team be trying their ass off to get him the puck for 50? Why hasn’t a single player in the 13 years he’s played in Washington complained about him? 

Do you also complain about bat flips in baseball or celebrations in the NFL?

There were a few issues I included in there. Did you read the whole post? Then is your next argument really, 'How can Ovie not be team first when the whole team is willing to pass him the puck"? Lol.

Yeah, I don't love bat flips and celebrations in the NFL after regular plays.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He did have a reason, he’s paid to play.

The “ celebration” is being blown way out of context, frankly. 

The entire team passed to him because he was close to a milestone and they had already won. That’s the team trying to pick up its star player, that’s how a team works. Did you ever play hockey? You never had two goals and your team tried to feed you the third??

The "he's paid" thing isn't sensible. That relates to whether he should play or not if asked.

The celebration wasn't terrible but in the picture of everything else mentioned I thought it wasn't great.

Feeding a player the puck for a hat trick is something that happens in the NHL yes (though the Devils have done little stat feeding this year), but I've already explained numerous times how this is a different situation. All those games during the season are not meaningless, this game was. It was ONLY about stats at the possible expense of the playoffs.

In any case, okay we disagree on this one. This isn't a huge deal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So you’re rooting for Torts and Dubinsky in the first round over Ovie? 

Gotta love consistency.

There's no inconsistency, I root for the Devils. I'm rooting against anyone not named the Devils. I'd happily see Ovie exit round 1 or Torts.

• Like 1

It's a very fine line between being a team first guy and a me first guy. And a lot of time it's super hard to distinguish "me first" guys when the team is doing well. And that's not to say that "me first" guys cannot be useful, they are SO driven to always be the best that they do bring production. But sometimes they also bring problems to the whole team when they legit put themselves first.

to me guys like... Ovi, Avery, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Subban, Marchand, Lundqvist, Rinaldo, for example, are all very "me first" driven guys while guys like Elias, Toews, Fleury etc etc are all guys putting the good of the team first... and... saddly as much as its painful to admit... Brodeur was also a me first guy and we've seen by the end that it was about him and not about the team. 

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The "he's paid" thing isn't sensible. That relates to whether he should play or not if asked.

The celebration wasn't terrible but in the picture of everything else mentioned I thought it wasn't great.

Feeding a player the puck for a hat trick is something that happens in the NHL yes (though the Devils have done little stat feeding this year), but I've already explained numerous times how this is a different situation. All those games during the season are not meaningless, this game was. It was ONLY about stats at the possible expense of the playoffs.

In any case, okay we disagree on this one. This isn't a huge deal. 

This makes no sense. So you should stat chase and try to feed a guy while chasing the playoffs, where passing up opportunities could impact whether you win and whether you make the playoffs, but not in a game where the outcome is irrelevant?

Arguably, it makes more sense to stat chase in a meaningless game. You aren’t costing the team anything. 

You appear to have a problem with players exerting themselves because they might get hurt, but Ovi is an extremely durable player without any recent injury history that I know of. I personally don’t love the concept of sitting guys out “just in case” they get hurt. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's a very fine line between being a team first guy and a me first guy. And a lot of time it's super hard to distinguish "me first" guys when the team is doing well. And that's not to say that "me first" guys cannot be useful, they are SO driven to always be the best that they do bring production. But sometimes they also bring problems to the whole team when they legit put themselves first.

to me guys like... Ovi, Avery, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Subban, Marchand, Lundqvist, Rinaldo, for example, are all very "me first" driven guys while guys like Elias, Toews, Fleury etc etc are all guys putting the good of the team first... and... saddly as much as its painful to admit... Brodeur was also a me first guy and we've seen by the end that it was about him and not about the team. 

I’d probably be ok with a “me first” guy in our roster with 600 goals in 1,000 games, who is loved by the fans and doesn’t seem to have any issue with love from his teammates either. 

A “me first” guy who sucked is different. But I’m pretty sure 600 goals and like 1100 points helped the team out at least a little.

The “he has no cups” argument doesn’t hold water because he can’t win one by himself. He has 90 points in 97 playoff games. I’d hope some of our guys could do that well. 

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did you just put Zac Rinaldo and Sean Avery in a group with Ovechkin, PK Subban and Lundqvist?! 

lol for real.

Even Toews doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ovi. Ovi is easily the greatest goal scorer of our generation and is a pleasure to watch

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

This makes no sense. So you should stat chase and try to feed a guy while chasing the playoffs, where passing up opportunities could impact whether you win and whether you make the playoffs, but not in a game where the outcome is irrelevant?

Arguably, it makes more sense to stat chase in a meaningless game. You aren’t costing the team anything. 

You appear to have a problem with players exerting themselves because they might get hurt, but Ovi is an extremely durable player without any recent injury history that I know of. I personally don’t love the concept of sitting guys out “just in case” they get hurt. 

How does that make no sense? I never said stat chasing is bad for winning did I? Ovie scoring means the Caps winning. That's why I made every point I did, specifically NOT implying  the former. If you stat chase in a meaningless game then you are costing the team, because you're risking yourself, health and energy wise, only for the sake of personal stats. And as also has been mentioned, it's not just about the risk, it's about the message of it all, just kind of awkward. Again, if you have no issue with it, to each his own.

There's a small chance the player gets hurt, of course, we all know that but the reason players often rest, is because that chance is there, no matter how small, and in a meaningless game there is ZERO point to risking it. Unless of course you're there to chase stats. Hey, if that doesn't bother your sensibilities just a bit, we're just different people my friend, all good.

5 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Did you just put Zac Rinaldo and Sean Avery in a group with Ovechkin, PK Subban and Lundqvist?! 

I understand what he was saying, I just don't really agree that Rinaldo and Avery are me-first. Avery was an a$$hole and Rinaldo might be the single biggest POS to play the game in the last decade, but in many ways they're team guys. FFS do you know how much money Rinaldo has lost trying to injure the other team's skilled players?

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

How does that make no sense? I never said stat chasing is bad for winning did I? Ovie scoring means the Caps winning. That's why I made every point I did, specifically NOT implying  the former. If you stat chase in a meaningless game then you are costing the team, because you're risking yourself, health and energy wise, only for the sake of personal stats. And as also has been mentioned, it's not just about the risk, it's about the message of it all, just kind of awkward. Again, if you have no issue with it, to each his own.

There's a small chance the player gets hurt, of course, we all know that but the reason players often rest, is because that chance is there, no matter how small, and in a meaningless game there is ZERO point to risking it. Unless of course you're there to chase stats. Hey, if that doesn't bother your sensibilities just a bit, we're just different people my friend, all good.

Yup, we’ll just agree to disagree on this one. These posts are getting in the way of my “we’re going to the playoffs, who gives a fvck”. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's no inconsistency, I root for the Devils. I'm rooting against anyone not named the Devils. I'd happily see Ovie exit round 1 or Torts.

I’d like to think I’m a rational person in real life.... when it comes to the Devils, I’m not fvcking rational. If you play for an organization that isn’t the Devils, that means you’re paid to beat the Devils, therefore, go fvck yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d like to think I’m a rational person in real life.... when it comes to the Devils, I’m not fvcking rational. If you play for an organization that isn’t the Devils, that means you’re paid to beat the Devils, therefore, go fvck yourself.

💯

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Yes cause i wanted to give a context that you don't need to be a superstar to be a me-first mentality that can be detrimental to your team. Not too sure what's wrong with that

Ovie has helped get the Caps into the playoffs more times then not....Winning the cup or not.... Meanwhile we as Devils fans have to wait until the 2nd to last game to see if we get in.the Caps didn't have to wait that long..Anyone who wouldn't want this guy on their team is fvcking clueless. He's hardly an ..its all about me guy....And hell yes your team mates feed you the puck when you're that close to getting 50,no different then feeding team mates going for the hat trick.

Edited by hit the post

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You speak with a lot of conviction. Just like Ghandi, Dora the Explorer, and Hitler.

Well see i never watched Dora the Explorer but yes Ghandi and Hitler were speaking with lots of conviction indeed. That's not to say they are the same kind of person overall. 

People who don't require everything to be so black and white and simplified to the simplest form can actually make those connections lol the grey zone is a very fun place

5 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You speak with a lot of conviction. Just like Ghandi, Dora the Explorer, and Hitler.

I’m asking everyone I talk to tomorrow what those three people have in common. 

Edited by mfitz804

So when it comes to be selfish and me first. Can't you guys agree that it's just as selfish to spend extra time on the ice even if you're tired, hogging the puck to boost your stats, throwing your teammates under the bus, giving trouble to the coaches.... is just as bad as making a dangerous play putting another player at risk physically, putting your team in a bad spot on the PK, giving a bad image to your organization saying crap like Avery did, sleeping with a teammates wife etc etc

It's all sh!t that players who put themselves before the team do. You guys stopping at "oh Rinaldo and Ovechkin doesn't belong in the same sentence" are simply not even trying to understand the point i'm making here. quite typical

Edited by SterioDesign