GDT: Devils @ Capitals, 4/7/18, 7:00pm

mfitz804

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So when it comes to be selfish and me first. Can't you guys agree that it's just as selfish to spend extra time on the ice even if you're tired, hogging the puck to boost your stats, throwing your teammates under the bus, giving trouble to the coaches.... is just as bad as making a dangerous play putting another player at risk physically, putting your team in a bad spot on the PK, giving a bad image to your organization saying crap like Avery did, sleeping with a teammates wife etc etc

It's all sh!t that players who put themselves before the team do. You guys stopping at "oh Rinaldo and Ovechkin doesn't belong in the same sentence" are simply not even trying to understand the point i'm making here. quite typical

I get the point you're making but how is Rinaldo not team first? He attempts to end careers so that his team can win. He's the fall guy.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

helping his team by getting suspended cause he knows he sucks you mean?

I'm just saying how is what he does me-first? He's not getting himself paid more, more famous, or better stats with anything he does.

Wait people here are actually DEFENDING Ovechkin for stat-hogging bullsh!t in a meaningless game for the Caps?  God some of you are too stat-loving.  Imagine if he gets hurt or strains something in a meaningless game playing all his superlong third period shifts just to hit a damn milestone he's done 'seven' times before?  It's not like he never hit 50 goals.  But that's what the Caps have always been about, individual stats and losing in the second round of the playoffs - they can sod off for that bush league crap and I'm someone that's always liked Ovechkin till tonight and wouldn't have cared if he got 50 in a natural flow of a game that meant anything but clearly he and the rest of the Caps were only playing tonight to star in his show.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

I'm just saying how is what he does me-first? He's not getting himself paid more, more famous, or better stats with anything he does.

The way i see it, being a dirty player getting bad penalties / suspensions cause you simply can't help yourself is not a me-first mentality

26 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Ovie has helped get the Caps into the playoffs more times then not....Winning the cup or not.... Meanwhile we as Devils fans have to wait until the 2nd to last game to see if we get in.the Caps didn't have to wait that long..Anyone who wouldn't want this guy on their team is fvcking clueless. He's hardly an ..its all about me guy....And hell yes your team mates feed you the puck when you're that close to getting 50,no different then feeding team mates going for the hat trick.

Is the idea to win in the playoffs or to get Ovechkin his 'eighth' 50-goal season?  How does it serve the Caps' interests to win in the playoffs by having Ovechkin (and the rest of the team) play and play hideously long shifts in a meaningless game going stat-hunting?  I'd have a little more sympathy if it was his first 50-goal season, he's done it SEVEN TIMES already, the fact that anyone cares if he hits it an 8th time or not is what's wrong with the Caps.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The way i see it, being a dirty player getting bad penalties / suspensions cause you simply can't help yourself is not a me-first mentality

Maybe he can't help himself yeah, but goons, to me, have always been team first, even at the expense of their own personal health. They're the most team-first guys out there. Rinaldo is a psycho but in action at least, he's not me-first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Maybe he can't help himself yeah, but goons, to me, have always been team first, even at the expense of their own personal health. They're the most team-first guys out there. Rinaldo is a psycho but in action at least, he's not me-first.

well again you can't just put all players with similar roles in the same basket, it's more complex than that. Many goons are good at what they do and don't cost their teams with bad penalties.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Is the idea to win in the playoffs or to get Ovechkin his 'eighth' 50-goal season?  How does it serve the Caps' interests to win in the playoffs by having Ovechkin (and the rest of the team) play and play hideously long shifts in a meaningless game going stat-hunting?  I'd have a little more sympathy if it was his first 50-goal season, he's done it SEVEN TIMES already, the fact that anyone cares if he hits it an 8th time or not is what's wrong with the Caps.

Those 50 goal seasons get them into the playoff race......I'll take it every time . Meanwhile these board are filled with years of crying and whining about how we missed again.

9 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Those 50 goal seasons get them into the playoff race......I'll take it every time . Meanwhile these board are filled with years of crying and whining about how we missed again.

Not me, I’m glad we don’t have 50 goal scorers for multiple seasons. Who needs all that selfishness? Guys who score 15 or less are way better for the team.

;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not me, I’m glad we don’t have 50 goal scorers for multiple seasons. Who needs all that selfishness? Guys who score 15 or less are way better for the team.

;) 

Well hell lets trade Hall and get 3.. 13 goal scorers .......Too funny

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

An entire team trying hard to help their leader captain achieve a milestone really is a dark stain on the NHL. 

Man, even you?! 

That makes me sad. I’ve always loved the great 8. 

I dunno what I was “angry” at you hours ago, we’ll call it drunken sarcasm! Everyone wins!

Edited by jagknife

I had a nice bowl of popcorn reading this thread. Entertaining and interesting stuff fellas. Honestly, I get both sides. But honestly, I don’t really care. I agree it was weird watching all the caps trying to forcefully feed the puck to Ovie with so much urgency in the third, but if he gets 50, he gets 50. And if he gets injured, well sh!t happens.

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Ovechkin trying for 50 didn't bug me. He's a goal scorer, he likes to score. And it's unfair to pin the Caps' playoff failures on him. He's a good playoff performer, for as long as they last in the playoffs.

I don't understand how him going for a milestone is completely selfish when that's the point of the game, to score and win. He didn't put his team at risk of losing tonight at any point to do what he did. He was even still making passes in the last minutes and not forcing shots.  The people arguing that ovi going for 50 was selfish, is it also selfish to try and get a player with 2 goals the Hattrick at the end of the game? I don't see it as being any different or being selfish as long as it's not jeopardizing the most important thing, the win. 

8 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Ovechkin trying for 50 didn't bug me. He's a goal scorer, he likes to score. And it's unfair to pin the Caps' playoff failures on him. He's a good playoff performer, for as long as they last in the playoffs.

Yeah, didn't think Ovechkin's playing in all 82 games and shooting for 50 was a big deal.  Lots of key players and superstars play in ALL of their team's regular season games.  He's put up fat regular seasons numbers but doesn't have any postseason hardware yet, so he's going to have his detractors.  

I was 100% fine with Hall and others not playing in yesterday's game though...no right or wrong, really.  Yes, by playing in yesterday's game, Ovi was risking injury, but do we now just rest all stars and superstars in the final game due to general fear?  I think you just do what feels right.  Situations vary.

One thing though, and this helps feed into criticisms of Ovi...his playoff numbers have really not been that great for a while now.  Just 21 goals and 19 assists in his last 60 playoff contests (covering his last five playoff seasons).  Obviously it's harder to fatten up come postseason, but for a guy who's been such a prolific goal-scorer in the regular season, that's a pretty significant dropoff.  

7 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't understand how him going for a milestone is completely selfish when that's the point of the game, to score and win. He didn't put his team at risk of losing tonight at any point to do what he did. He was even still making passes in the last minutes and not forcing shots.  The people arguing that ovi going for 50 was selfish, is it also selfish to try and get a player with 2 goals the Hattrick at the end of the game? I don't see it as being any different or being selfish as long as it's not jeopardizing the most important thing, the win. 

The argument is, it’s selfish because he could get hurt in a meaningless game. Personally, I’m not a fan of bubble wrapping players “just in case”. 

10 hours ago, hit the post said:

How did anything that happened last night help them in the playoff race?  We know he's great, any team would take him yadda yadda yadda but when's the last time you heard about Crosby or Kopitar or even Patrick Kane shooting for an empty milestone (and one they've already accomplished multiple times before no less) in a meaningless game?  Never, it never happens with those guys and those teams, that's why it's easy to sneer at the Caps who've never won anything AGAIN playing to the individual rather than the team.

Comparing what happened last night to going for a hat trick in a random regular season game is silly, usually you get forcefed for the hat trick on one or two normal shifts at the end of the game, not half the freaking period playing Alexei Kovalev-length shifts.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

How did anything that happened last night help them in the playoff race?  We know he's great, any team would take him yadda yadda yadda but when's the last time you heard about Crosby or Kopitar or even Patrick Kane shooting for an empty milestone (and one they've already accomplished multiple times before no less) in a meaningless game?  Never, it never happens with those guys and those teams, that's why it's easy to sneer at the Caps who've never won anything AGAIN playing to the individual rather than the team.

Comparing what happened last night to going for a hat trick in a random regular season game is silly, usually you get forcefed for the hat trick on one or two normal shifts at the end of the game, not half the freaking period playing Alexei Kovalev-length shifts.  

111909946_medium_1494310801.jpg