Did something happen in Binghamton that we don’t know about?

njbuff

1 minute ago, Z-Man said:

Or the more logical answer....

• Instead of over-paying for 30-something free agents, guys like Lappin, Quenneville, Santini, Speers, etc. will have larger roles with the big club, and they need AHL depth.

Yup. See my post above. You have to re-stock sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Z-Man said:

Or the more logical answer....

• Instead of over-paying for 30-something free agents, guys like Lappin, Quenneville, Santini, Speers, etc. will have larger roles with the big club, and they need AHL depth.

Well there's truly not that much room for kids seriously.

Hall - Hischier - Bratt

Mojo - Zacha - Palmieri

Wood - Zajac - ???

Coleman - Boyle - ???

We might re-sign Gibbons and Noesen for cheap and get some depth / challenge for the kids at camp, i feel they both deserved it but instead of prying 30 pts out of those guys which may be their ceiling at this point. Shero might decide to get the kids in their instead. You'd think Anderson will be given a very good opportunity at making the team tho. 

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

With all these minor league signings.

I don’t complain about FA signings, but there has to be a point to this.

This happens every year.  Last off-season the Devils signed Brian Strait and Bracken Kearns on July 1.  The Devils didn't have a lot of picks in the 5 years before 2016 and those they did have, they didn't sign a ton of them.  Binghamton was terrible so they are probably making a lot of changes down there.

On 2. heinäkuuta 2018 at 8:23 AM, SterioDesign said:

We might re-sign Gibbons and Noesen for cheap and get some depth / challenge for the kids at camp, i feel they both deserved it but instead of prying 30 pts out of those guys which may be their ceiling at this point. Shero might decide to get the kids in their instead. You'd think Anderson will be given a very good opportunity at making the team tho. 

I believe Gibbons signed with some team already. Too bad, I really liked him :noclue:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:52 AM, Triumph said:

This happens every year.  Last off-season the Devils signed Brian Strait and Bracken Kearns on July 1.  The Devils didn't have a lot of picks in the 5 years before 2016 and those they did have, they didn't sign a ton of them.  Binghamton was terrible so they are probably making a lot of changes down there.

I'm thinking we're not used to much effort being made to keep the farm team competitive under the previous administration of this organization. 

On a side note, btw, Lou's complete indifference to the farm team seemed to begin midway through his tenure in NJ. It coincides with Conte's inability to spot anyone of relevance in draft years that wasn't a first round layup after he late 90s early 00s. People may not realize or remember, but Albany won the Calder Cup in 1995 the same year the big team won the Stanley Cup and had very competitive teams up until the point of John Madden making the jump to the NHL in 1999-2000. They literally dropped 30 points in the standings that year and have been largely terrible ever since. 

Edited by NewarkDevil5

14 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

I'm thinking we're not used to much effort being made to keep the farm team competitive under the previous administration of this organization. 

On a side note, btw, Lou's complete indifference to the farm team seemed to begin midway through his tenure in NJ. It coincides with Conte's inability to spot anyone of relevance in draft years that wasn't a first round layup after he late 90s early 00s. People may not realize or remember, but Albany won the Calder Cup in 1995 the same year the big team won the Stanley Cup and had very competitive teams up until the point of John Madden making the jump to the NHL in 1999-2000. They literally dropped 30 points in the standings that year and have been largely terrible ever since. 

I don't think this administration is making a ton of effort into keeping the farm team competitive.  I think by virtue of the number of draft picks they've had the last few years and the fact that most of them seem like they're going to be okay pros, the farm team will be reasonably competitive.  I still don't expect to see many players on one-way contracts or AHL All-Stars with big guaranteed salaries playing for Binghamton.