Devils Goaltending

Steadevils

Can you put someone on IR for mental health? Schneider must feel completely lost mentally. Does anyone know if this is the record for consecutive starts without a win? I haven't seen that stat and can't seem to find it. I have to imagine he doesn't look as terrible in practice or else you would hope that he would have already been sent down with some phantom injury. 

4 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Can you put someone on IR for mental health? Schneider must feel completely lost mentally. Does anyone know if this is the record for consecutive starts without a win? I haven't seen that stat and can't seem to find it. I have to imagine he doesn't look as terrible in practice or else you would hope that he would have already been sent down with some phantom injury. 

I think the playoff win he had last year interrupted any record for consecutive losses he might have had, but in terms of the regular season only, I would have to believe this is definitely a record.  I can't remember any goalie having this much trouble/bad luck for this amount of time.  I mean, it's been an entire calendar year now, and like 15-20 games.  

50 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think the playoff win he had last year interrupted any record for consecutive losses he might have had, but in terms of the regular season only, I would have to believe this is definitely a record.  I can't remember any goalie having this much trouble/bad luck for this amount of time.  I mean, it's been an entire calendar year now, and like 15-20 games.  

You guys forget how truly beyond dreadful some teams were...bad teams in this day and age aren't nearly as bad by comparison. 

The 1974-75 Capitals lost 67 out of 80 games (they won 8 and tied 5).  One of their goalies (Michael Belhumeur) went 0-24-3 that season...he followed that up by going 0-5-1 the following season.  So a combined 0-29-4 run for him over two seasons (his NHL career mercifully ended after that second winless season).   

The 1975-76 KC Scouts went 1-35-8 to close out the season. 

Basically, as bad (and sometimes unlucky) as Cory's been, there's guys like Belhumeur who've suffered through worse.  What does make Cory's case especially brutal is that it's not like he's playing on a near-talentless expansion team, like Belhumeur did. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You guys forget how truly beyond dreadful some teams were...bad teams in this day and age aren't nearly as bad by comparison. 

The 1974-75 Capitals lost 67 out of 80 games (they won 8 and tied 5).  One of their goalies (Michael Belhumeur) went 0-24-3 that season...he followed that up by going 0-5-1 the following season.  So a combined 0-29-4 run for him over two seasons (his NHL career mercifully ended after that second winless season).   

The 1975-76 KC Scouts went 1-35-8 to close out the season. 

Basically, as bad (and sometimes unlucky) as Cory's been, there's guys like Belhumeur who've suffered through worse.  What does make Cory's case especially brutal is that it's not like he's playing on a near-talentless expansion team, like Belhumeur did. 

All of that is true, BUT, you picked the absolute worst season any team has had in the history of the NHL lol, so OK, sure, there's one ONE instance where someone has been in a worse stretch than Cory is now, but I think my point is still true, Cory's numbers are remarkably and historically bad.  

Also, in much the same way that money and finance is not the same in today's economy as it was 40-50 years ago, you see analysts always adjust for inflation or calculate what something would cost or be worth "in today's dollars", well you really have to do that with numbers and goaltending stats too, to a degree.  While Belhumeur's numbers were worse than Cory's, he was doing it in an era where he played a lot less teams, and frankly, I think goalies had it harder back then too.  Equipment was a lot smaller which we all know, and scoring was, in general, higher.  Today, Cory has every advantage modern technology and science can provide to help get him out of this slump.  (Change his pads, workout with state of the art equipment/machines, view video footage of players and angles, see a professional doctor, etc).  Beyond that, the league itself has expanded and nearly doubled in size since those days in the mid 70s, allowing Cory to face many different teams (read: several sh!tty ones), and thus, more opportunities to salvage a win somewhere.  Back in the day, with only 15-20 teams in the league, there were only going to be a couple of truly terrible teams each season, and a guy like Belhumeur being on one of those teams, that means there was maybe one or two others at most that he could potentially get an easy win against.  Cory?  Man, he's got at least a handful of teams that should be considered very beatable.  Who knows what he would've done with the start against LAK last week, but if he ends up getting to play a team like CHI, STL, or OTT this season, he better win one of them.  

Curious to see if Blackwood actually gets into a game...if he does get a start, I'm thinking maybe at home against Ottawa on 12/21?  I'm assuming KK will get the Leafs at home tomorrow night and the BJs on the road on 12/20. 

I'm much more curious what this means for Cory in the short-term though. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Curious to see if Blackwood actually gets into a game...if he does get a start, I'm thinking maybe at home against Ottawa on 12/21?  I'm assuming KK will get the Leafs at home tomorrow night and the BJs on the road on 12/20. 

I would like to see something from Blackwood, if only for a game, but I really don't think he gets any action this year.  I feel and think Cory is trusted by the organization to either get right, or go down in flames trying.  

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I would like to see something from Blackwood, if only for a game, but I really don't think he gets any action this year.  I feel and think Cory is trusted by the organization to either get right, or go down in flames trying.  

I read Cory is on the IR with an abdominal strain. I didn't realize playing like hot diarrhea counted as an abdominal strain. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, Blackwood will definitely get 12/20 or 12/21. Since you can't play Cory this move for one of those games is not shocking. From what I can tell the IR placement is not retroactive, which makes me think they don't really care how long he is down for... "abdominal strain" is a great "injury". 

1 hour ago, Steadevils said:

Bruins gave Tuukka a leave of absence from the team a few weeks back. I think he ended up on IR during that time. Speculation was it was for him to get his head on straight after his terrible start.

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

All of that is true, BUT, you picked the absolute worst season any team has had in the history of the NHL lol, so OK, sure, there's one ONE instance where someone has been in a worse stretch than Cory is now, but I think my point is still true, Cory's numbers are remarkably and historically bad.  

Also, in much the same way that money and finance is not the same in today's economy as it was 40-50 years ago, you see analysts always adjust for inflation or calculate what something would cost or be worth "in today's dollars", well you really have to do that with numbers and goaltending stats too, to a degree.  While Belhumeur's numbers were worse than Cory's, he was doing it in an era where he played a lot less teams, and frankly, I think goalies had it harder back then too.  Equipment was a lot smaller which we all know, and scoring was, in general, higher.  Today, Cory has every advantage modern technology and science can provide to help get him out of this slump.  (Change his pads, workout with state of the art equipment/machines, view video footage of players and angles, see a professional doctor, etc).  Beyond that, the league itself has expanded and nearly doubled in size since those days in the mid 70s, allowing Cory to face many different teams (read: several sh!tty ones), and thus, more opportunities to salvage a win somewhere.  Back in the day, with only 15-20 teams in the league, there were only going to be a couple of truly terrible teams each season, and a guy like Belhumeur being on one of those teams, that means there was maybe one or two others at most that he could potentially get an easy win against.  Cory?  Man, he's got at least a handful of teams that should be considered very beatable.  Who knows what he would've done with the start against LAK last week, but if he ends up getting to play a team like CHI, STL, or OTT this season, he better win one of them.  

I'll definitely give you that right now, since his play fell off a cliff last December, Cory's been as bad as a goalie really can be by 2018 standards.  You had mentioned that as far as league history goes, Cory's run had to be historically bad, and you did it in a way that implied he was likely alone...I was just pointing out that at least one other guy had suffered through similar futility, though I was doing it more in a vacuum...I wasn't bringing era or specific years into it, in terms of trying to quantify "Level of Futility" (I did point out just how bad those 1974-75 Caps were though). 

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Based on Cory getting hurt, I think there's a good chance he gets a look...sadly it might come as soon as tomorrow in relief, with the Devils losing 5-1 or something like that in the second period.  Welcome to the NHL kid.

I'll definitely give you that right now, since his play fell off a cliff last December, Cory's been as bad as a goalie really can be by 2018 standards.  You had mentioned that as far as league history, Cory's run had to be historically bad, and you did it in a way that implied he was likely alone...I was just pointing out that at least one other guy had suffered through similar futility, though I was doing it more in a vacuum...I wasn't bringing era or specific years into it (I did point out just how bad those 1974-75 Caps were though). 

Based on Cory getting hurt, I think there's a good chance he gets a look...sadly it might come as soon as tomorrow in relief, with the Devils losing 5-1 or something like that in the second period.  Welcome to the NHL kid.

Yeah, I feel ya. I think right now Cory is on par with some of the worst the NHL's seen, with the potential, maybe, to go even further down (hopefully not - and maybe the bleeding has been temporarily stopped with him being put on IR).

Re: Blackwood, I didn't realize he was called up and Cory on IR until I was done replying to you in this thread and then saw the other thread mentioning it.  Knowing this now, I think there's a pretty good chance he sees a game somewhere.  I just didn't think he would be called up at all, but since he has, I can't see them just leaving him on the bench to observe and not at least get a feel for some NHL action while we have this opportunity.  But you never know with Hynes.

And about him coming in in relief tomorrow...bite your tongue!  I'm calling Blackwood with a shutout in his first NHL start....whenever that may be.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:23 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well the first part's been taken care of...predictable fvcking jizzbuckets...

• Like 2

This is exactly what happened.  Bravo.

• Haha 1

If you post something about how I’m going to find $10 million in cash today, I’ll happily split it with you. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

All in all Blackwood didn't look terrible at all. The two goals against were the normal Keystone Cops goals that the Devils specialize in this season

Yeah, I thought he looked calm at least for coming in cold to his 1st NHL game. 

The toe save on the partial breakaway was pretty nice. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow.  CR... 👏

Sadly this team has become THAT predictable...against certain teams they just look completely helpless, hopeless, overwhelmed, overmatched, you name it. 

• Like 2