Kyle Palmieri could be a good fit with Boston

Jerrydevil

I was watching the Caps-Bruins game last night and thought how useful Palmieri could be there, if he was playing well. I don't think he's playing all that badly here (not great, not awful) but it would help Palmieri and the Devils if he can get on a little streak. He seems to be getting chances. Boston needs second line scoring, and so do a few other teams, most likely. I'd like to see him play with David Krejci and get a chance to go for the Cup.

I think he'll be one of the better goal scorers available at the trade deadline, at any rate. Palmieri is a better fit for Boston than Taylor Hall, in my opinion. There could be some competition to get Palmieri, believe it or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I feel like we've been talking about Palmieri being traded for years. I feel like this is the year and we're going to get d!ck in return for him now. 

Palmieri is almost definitely getting traded, barring an injury. We're not going to get the moon, but if he pots a few more goals, the price goes up. Look around to see what other non-contenders have to offer. I think he could be in demand.

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Palmieri is almost definitely getting traded, barring an injury. We're not going to get the moon, but if he pots a few more goals, the price goes up. Look around to see what other non-contenders have to offer. I think he could be in demand.

Him and Goose both.

Really depends on how well he's playing leading up to the deadline.  Devils have been able to squeeze "pleasant surprise" second-rounders out of teams in the past, for players that we wouldn't expect them to get that much for.  

Good news is that he has a track record, but he has to show that he still has that in him.  I'm thinking if he gets hot enough, Devils should be able to get a second-rounder and a middling prospect.  All really depends how many key scorers for contenders get hurt, and how many other scorers are going to be made available at the deadline.

I also think that even if Palms is dealt, it would not surprise me to see him brought back on a one or two-year deal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Good news is that he has a track record, but he has to show that he still has that in him.  I'm thinking if he gets hot enough, Devils should be able to get a second-rounder and a middling prospect. 

I'm thinking along those lines, too. And, yes, I could also envision the Devils bringing him back on a 2 year deal.

He’s 30, I imagine his agent aims a little higher than a 1-2 year deal. Thinking he probably wants 5 years and settles for 3. 

In terms of annual salary, he is already not paid a whole lot given that he is among the team scoring leaders every year. He’s not getting a raise, but 3 years at $3.3m wouldn’t be awful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s 30, I imagine his agent aims a little higher than a 1-2 year deal. Thinking he probably wants 5 years and settles for 3. 

In terms of annual salary, he is already not paid a whole lot given that he is among the team scoring leaders every year. He’s not getting a raise, but 3 years at $3.3m wouldn’t be awful. 

He can aim for it, but things have changed...and if he winds up coming off a meh year, the offers simply may not be there.  If he gets more than two years, I'll be surprised.  

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He can aim for it, but things have changed...and if he winds up coming off a meh year, the offers simply may not be there.  If he gets more than two years, I'll be surprised.  

I would tend to agree but I feel like if he takes less money, someone may take a chance on a third year. He’d be 33 at the end (maybe 34) and at $3m, it doesn’t really kill you if he isn’t any good that last year. 

Edited by mfitz804

I know I have a tendency to pick a "whipping boy" every year and focus way too intensely on them.  But Palms, this year, has been, at best, invisible outside of that game where he got hot for a millisecond. 

He's a total momentum killer, whether it's missing a clear shot or taking a bad penalty.  I hope Boston or someone else takes a chance on him and gives us a pick.

Absolutely do not want him extended here long term.  

Edit: I'll back off here a bit - I don't hate him as the second line RW.  But he just isn't "the guy" and we can't pay him like "the guy".  And we need to get him the fvck away from Hughes.

Edited by Devilsfan118

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I know I have a tendency to pick a "whipping boy" every year and focus way too intensely on them.  But Palms, this year, has been, at best, invisible outside of that game where he got hot for a millisecond. 

He's a total momentum killer, whether it's missing a clear shot or taking a bad penalty.  I hope Boston or someone else takes a chance on him and gives us a pick.

Absolutely do not want him extended here long term.  

Edit: I'll back off here a bit - I don't hate him as the second line RW.  But he just isn't "the guy" and we can't pay him like "the guy".  And we need to get him the fvck away from Hughes.

In today's market, in the current environment, if he doesn't pick it up as the year goes on, he's probably looking at a one-year deal worth around $3 million, maybe a little more.  If he finishes strong, maybe two years for a little more per year (say $3.5 million).  He's not going to get a 5-year, $30+ million contract, like he would have coming off a good year and if it was 2018 or so.  No one is going to pony up for a big UFA overpayment for him at this point...he'll definitely get signed, but I'll be surprised if someone's willing to go three years for him...and/or more than $4 million per.

And that's part of the reason I would take him back to be on the second line on a two-year deal...the relatively lower cost (and term) of the contract means he's still tradeable.  It's a decent option to have if you don't have someone ready to replace him from within...or if you don't to part with any trade chips to bring in a similar kind of player.  He'll only cost the Devils a little money on a short-term deal, and can be moved for something back.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Palmieri is still 5th on the team in points despite an abysmal start. He has 9 points while our team leader has 14. 

He’s keeping pace with the rest of our atrocious offense. 

But he’s a big part of the reason why the offense is so bad. We count on him to put the puck in the net, and he has 3 goals in 19 games. 

He’s not the biggest disappointment of the season for me (that would be Gusev), but he’s close. 

Edited by Nicomo

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But he’s a big part of the reason why the offense is so bad. We count on him to put the puck in the net, and he has 3 goals in 19 games. 

He’s not the biggest disappointment of the season for me (that would be Gusev), but he’s close. 

I kind of wouldn’t expect him to be good while everyone else is sh!t, but he is sh!ttier than everyone else. 

I’m not particularly excited about any of our forwards’ offensive contributions, aside from Zacha and the fact that Jack seems to have progressed from last year. Wood leading the team in goals is cool but it’s an aberration. 

On 3/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, Jerrydevil said:

Not sure why a non-contender would give up anything of value to deal for him at the TDL when they could pursue him as a free agent. Especially with no guarantee he would resign there after the season ends. Traditionally how many non-contenders are buyers at that time of year?  Most are trying to unload their own junk and spare parts.

11 hours ago, titans04 said:

Not sure why a non-contender would give up anything of value to deal for him at the TDL when they could pursue him as a free agent. Especially with no guarantee he would resign there after the season ends. Traditionally how many non-contenders are buyers at that time of year?  Most are trying to unload their own junk and spare parts.

That was his point.   The other non contenders are unloading their junk and spare parts....   compared to that, Palms looks decent and might fetch more 

I continue to think that Palmieri is an option for the Bruins to improve their scoring depth. If the Devils expanded the deal to include another player, do you think we could get DeBrusk? Do we want him?

Which leads me to PK Subban. What are teams allowed to do? Can they agree to split a players salary and cap hit 50/50? If they can, it would make Subban tradable, I think.

Somebody educate me.

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I continue to think that Palmieri is an option for the Bruins to improve their scoring depth. If the Devils expanded the deal to include another player, do you think we could get DeBrusk? Do we want him?

Which leads me to PK Subban. What are teams allowed to do? Can they agree to split a players salary and cap hit 50/50? If they can, it would make Subban tradable, I think.

Somebody educate me.

I can’t speculate who Boston would be willing to trade, I don’t follow them enough. 

We could retain 50% of Subban’s salary. I would imagine that would be part of the lure that would make a team interested in trading for him. He’s not that desirable at $9m at this point, but at $4.5m, maybe a different story. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I can’t speculate who Boston would be willing to trade, I don’t follow them enough. 

We could retain 50% of Subban’s salary. I would imagine that would be part of the lure that would make a team interested in trading for him. He’s not that desirable at $9m at this point, but at $4.5m, maybe a different story. 

In that case, Subban and Palmieri for Jake DeBrusk, with the Devils paying half of Subban's salary. I think it makes sense, but DeBrusk isn't playing well right now.

DeBrusk just got healthy-scratched because he hasn't scored an even strength goal all season. But he does have ability and a decent track record in his first two NHL seasons. It could be worth the plunge. I believe Subban and Palmieri fill needs for Boston, and their GM just said publicly he may be looking to shake things up via trade.

Who are we replacing Subban with if we move him? Connor Carrick? Matt Tennyson? 

I’m not sure we should really be looking to pay someone to take him off our hands. Now if Seattle wants him, or another team offers something worthwhile, sure. But other than that I’d just keep him at this point and let him play out his contract. Hopefully by 2023 at least one or two of Bahl, Okhotyuk, Mukhamadullin, Walsh, etc will be ready.

Possibly our top pick from this draft. If that is a Luke Hughes he’s definitely not going to be ready next year. Neither Sanderson or Drysdale stepped right into the NHL, and they’re probably similar caliber prospects.