GDT: Detroit @ Devils 7:00 PM 10/15- the home opener

MadDog2020

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's not gonna take 10-20 games, they have a month full of mostly non-playoff teams, mostly at home...if they don't get it going right the hell now they ain't climbing out of this hole when they have to face actual tougher competition. 

Plus Lindy is also on a lame-duck deal with his replacement being hired this offseason, not all that much of a vote of confidence.  They pretty much put a 'you better get off to a fast start' sign on Lindy's back in neon letters.

I'm talking in the literal words of management figures such as Fitz who said in interviews and was quoted as such. Why start the season with Ruff if you're going to fire him two games into the season? That makes no sense and makes Fitz look like he has no plan. 

Nobody takes an assistant job in an effort to overstep the current HC. Good assistants can just go get head coaching jobs and the Devils were probably just lucky in the fact that Brunette wanted to come here and that he took an assistant job. This makes Fitz look like he is planning ahead, but I highly doubt the words "interim coach" were uttered. 

And what happens when Brunette comes in and loses his first 5 in a row? I'm sure he has his own system drawn up and ready to go that fits this roster perfectly or he's such a perfect coach that he'll fix everything. Expecting him to repeat exactly what he did in FL is a little silly. We can hope, but I don't think Ruff is gone based on two games. I watched Detroit tonight and they looked very beatable against another bubble team LA.

Edited by RizzMB30

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

3-6 is not .500 though…

ah yeah major brainfart on that one lol Not sure what i was thinking. 

But hey admitting i was wrong ^ That's half the battle lol

But either way, you still don't fire a coach based on fans booing lol that's just ridiculous

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah yeah major brainfart on that one lol Not sure what i was thinking. 

But hey admitting i was wrong ^ That's half the battle lol

But either way, you still don't fire a coach based on fans booing lol that's just ridiculous

I think you’re supposed to just say you didn’t read it. 

And yeah, it doesn’t matter how loud or how long you chant, it’s a hockey move and it will be based on hockey, not on fan reactions. 

Fortunately, there’s more than a few hockey reasons. But they certainly did not retain Ruff to fire him so soon. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

hey you never know. Admitting i was wrong (and lets be honest, i draw sh!t for a living. I'm an idiot. fvck numbers) it might inspire someone to do the same one day.

You draw sh!t for a living? From memory or like a still life kind of deal? 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you’re supposed to just say you didn’t read it. 

And yeah, it doesn’t matter how loud or how long you chant, it’s a hockey move and it will be based on hockey, not on fan reactions. 

Fortunately, there’s more than a few hockey reasons. But they certainly did not retain Ruff to fire him so soon. 

Always a great business move to not listen to your paying customers. Sure it will be a hockey move as well but if this team wins only 1 or 2 games the entire month and the crowd is chanting nonstop and people stop coming because of the record its bad for business and hockey not to do something about it.

It's not like our fan base has made it a habit of chanting stuff like that. Hynes was one but it's hard to even blame anyone when that season they started 0-6 so fvck him too he needed to go and they played better once he was gone. Cost Shero his job by not doing it sooner too. 

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Always a great business move to not listen to your paying customers. Sure it will be a hockey move as well but if this team wins only 1 or 2 games the entire month and the crowd is chanting nonstop and people stop coming because of the record its bad for business and hockey not to do something about it.

It's not like our fan base has made it a habit of chanting stuff like that. Hynes was one but it's hard to even blame anyone when that season they started 0-6 so fvck him too he needed to go and they played better once he was gone. Cost Shero his job by not doing it sooner too. 

You already know they aren’t listening, between jerseys and non-family friendly food prices. 

“Fire Hynes” was a thing for a long time because he sucked a$$. The firing has to come after the chanting, obviously, but it’s not a result of it. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How about just firing him for the 46 & 78 (.386) record? 

Not really fair either. Do you think it's fair to judge a coach's / team record when his 2 starters were injured all year. His top players were injured for a good chunk of it and that he got the worst goaltending of the season out of his goalie carousel? 

I couldn't care less if Ruff is fired tomorrow. I never wanted him. But its also not fair to ignore context

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How about just firing him for the 46 & 78 (.386) record? 

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not really fair either. Do you think it's fair to judge a coach's / team record when his 2 starters were injured all year. His top players were injured for a good chunk of it and that he got the worst goaltending of the season out of his goalie carousel? 

I couldn't care less if Ruff is fired tomorrow. I never wanted him. But its also not fair to ignore context

I agree. But I do believe he’ll provide plenty of reasons this season. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree. But I do believe he’ll provide plenty of reasons this season. 

I'm just not sure why you'd hire an old coach like this.

In any jobs like this or even in the entertainment world. Sure there's experience and all in older people.

But very often... it's becoming a paycheck and you simply do not put in the extra effort that a young hungry new person in that position there to prove themselves might.

That's why with musicians or movie directors or wtv. You very often see them cranking their best stuff very early in their career. Then they just kind of.... cruise through the rest.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm just not sure why you'd hire an old coach like this.

In any jobs like this or even in the entertainment world. Sure there's experience and all in older people.

But very often... it's becoming a paycheck and you simply do not put in the extra effort that a young hungry new person in that position there to prove themselves might.

That's why with musicians or movie directors or wtv. You very often see them cranking their best stuff very early in their career. Then they just kind of.... cruise through the rest.

Valid points. This is why my office only hires attorneys right out of school. More eager, fewer bad habits. 

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There’s always going to be excuses. You are what your record says you are at the end of the day. Context is great for explaining why this team didn’t take a step forward the last couple years, but that doesn’t excuse being as bad they’ve been either. 

And it looks like more of the same through the first couple games this season. Despite  being given multiple new assistants (one of which was a Jack Adams finalist last year), 2 healthy goaltenders, and the only major piece missing being Nico for one of the games. 

At some point you just have to win some hockey games. There’s only 32 of these jobs in the world - I don’t really understand what Lindy Ruff has done outside of his time in Buffalo (a lifetime ago) to deserve one of them. Other than going way back with our GM that is.

The Rags and Stars fans warned us about him, and it’s played out exactly how they said it would. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There’s always going to be excuses. You are what your record says you are at the end of the day. Context is great for explaining why this team didn’t take a step forward the last couple years, but that doesn’t excuse being as bad they’ve been either. 

And it looks like more of the same through the first couple games this season. Despite  being given multiple new assistants (one of which was a Jack Adams finalist last year), 2 healthy goaltenders, and the only major piece missing being Nico for one of the games. 

At some point you just have to win some hockey games. There’s only 32 of these jobs in the world - I don’t really understand what Lindy Ruff has done outside of his time in Buffalo (a lifetime ago) to deserve one of them. Other than going way back with our GM that is.

The Rags and Stars fans warned us about him, and it’s played out exactly how they said it would. 

Sure but no coaches would have made our goalies not injure themselves or play much better. Mayyyyybe a better system would have prevented.... some goals. but still.

And while i dont really trust advance stats and all. It's been saying that with just league average goaltending last season we would have been in much much better position.

At the end of the day... people will ignore context when it's preventing them from getting what they want. And they will use context to justify not having something they want taken away.

I somehow fall in the middle cause i don't really care that Ruff stays or leave. Im just trying to be fair. But obviously being fair is not a popular stance when there's so much emotions running around

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Sure but no coaches would have made our goalies not injure themselves or play much better. Mayyyyybe a better system would have prevented.... some goals. but still.

And while i dont really trust advance stats and all. It's been saying that with just league average goaltending last season we would have been in much much better position.

At the end of the day... people will ignore context when it's preventing them from getting what they want. And they will use context to justify not having something they want taken away.

I somehow fall in the middle cause i don't really care that Ruff stays or leave. Im just trying to be fair. But obviously being fair is not a popular stance when there's so much emotions running around

image.gif.8c01671c1147417bc5971e6ad0ab6f84.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You keep talking about people being overly emotional but I’m not really seeing it.

are you serious? lol go read the GDT.

People calling for a coach to be fired and losing their minds about goaltending 2 games in. Booing and cheering the booing lol 

Thats all emotions leading the way. Not common sense

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

are you serious? lol go read the GDT.

People calling for a coach to be fired and losing their minds about goaltending 2 games in. Booing and cheering the booing lol 

Thats all emotions leading the way. Not common sense

Just because you don’t agree with someone’s rationale does not mean they’re being led by emotion.

24 minutes ago, devlman said:

Just because you don’t agree with someone’s rationale does not mean they’re being led by emotion.

It has nothing to do with me. And well it's pretty easy to see someone led by emotions and someone who isn't. Wood certainly was and admitted it.

This is a new season, new faces, new staff behind the bench mostly, new PP and PK system, young team, many players having to learn a system, game 1 and our top 6 center is already out and we have to shuffle lines etc etc Plenty of very rational justification behind what someone can call a slow start (not even sure its fair to call this a slow start this early). A slow start that you can also observe in teams that should have been hitting the ground running at this point. It happens, every single seasons. So as of now, no reason to freak out or call for anything drastic. We were not even projected to be much more than a .500 team anyway this season. We're in another season where things have to really go perfectly and have luck go out way to really challenge for a spot.

This year we need... our top players staying healthy... not much we can do about that. We needed a better powerplay and better PK (and D coverage in general) We fired the coaches from last season and hired new ones. We need better goaltending. We signed an extra goalie and blackwood is apparently 100% healthy. So now we can see what he can do over a season when healthy. This will all take some time and adjustments

Anyone wanting something drastic now after 2 games. Is 100% ignoring all i just mentionnd and simply doesn't want to be patient. That's 100% led by emotions.

Edited by SterioDesign

You can keep going on about it only being 2 games all you want, but it’s the way they lost both of them. Both were absolute drubbings, and we weren’t exactly playing the Lightning or the Avalanche. If they were hard fought 4-3 or 3-2 losses I doubt people would be as concerned.

But the compete level if for sh!t, and as CR76 mentioned these 2nd and 3rd period collapses (a running theme the past couple years) point squarely to the coaching. Specifically adjustments, or lack there of. 

• Like 2