2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I had another one of my moments of mind wander during a running race this morning. If I get time in the next few weeks, I might give it some effort and try to quantify a theory: do the New Jersey devils actually have an accountability problem, or is it isolated to players trying to break into top 6 roles.

hypothesis: rookie/young forwards trying to make it on this team have been benched for “lack of effort, responsibility in the defensive zone, not giving x level of effort,” which others on the team also have been horrendously guilty of. But unless you are Jack Hughes, you are punished  for it. 

Zacha never would have worked here for a litany of reasons. Sharangovich was ostracized by Ruff, banished to the bottom 6, and then ripped for not producing. Now is given a chance with a bad Calgary team and is producing respectably. Now we have Holtz in the dog house.

is it really the players or do we have bad coaching with selective enforcement of “accountability” and atrocious management of skill matching within the lineup?

I think it’s a combination of both.  The Devils definitely have players who don’t always give their best effort, but when only some of them are punished, the problem is exacerbated rather than mitigated, as the players who typically escape disciplinary action realize they can get away with mistakes and poor performance.

17 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Was the only player this season who gave it everything he could EVERY game. shame

Agreed, which is why it’s not surprising that he finally broke down.

44 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think it’s a combination of both.  The Devils definitely have players who don’t always give their best effort, but when only some of them are punished, the problem is exacerbated rather than mitigated, as the players who typically escape disciplinary action realize they can get away with mistakes and poor performance.

Agreed, which is why it’s not surprising that he finally broke down.

I get that we’re not happy with the way that this year went and with certain players specifically, but do you honestly believe that some players here actually think “Hey, I’m not on receiving end of as much discipline as some other guys, so I have the freedom to fvck up at will!  What the hell do I care?”  I think most of the players here give more of a damn than some fans believe (even being as frustrating as they’ve often been to watch), but I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt let down by the powers that be above them (specifically Fitz and the coaches).

The coaching staff bears enough blame that I think we really need to see what a REAL staff brings…and I think it’s only then that we’ll truly know if some of these guys really aren’t good enough to stick around (I’m not talking about obvious zilches like Smith).  I don’t like to psychoanalyze players too much because there’s SO much that we’re not privy to…but it wouldn’t shock me if they feel like they haven’t been put in the best position to succeed.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get that we’re not happy with the way that this year went and with certain players specifically, but do you honestly believe that some players here actually think “Hey, I’m not on receiving end of as much discipline as some other guys, so I have the freedom to fvck up at will!  What the hell do I care?”  I think most of the players here give more of a damn than some fans believe (even being as frustrating as they’ve often been to watch), but I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt let down by the powers that be above them (specifically Fitz and the coaches).

The coaching staff bears enough blame that I think we really need to see what a REAL staff brings…and I think it’s only then that we’ll truly know if some of these guys really aren’t good enough to stick around (I’m not talking about obvious zilches like Smith).  I don’t like to psychoanalyze players too much because there’s SO much that we’re not privy to…but it wouldn’t shock me if they feel like they haven’t been put in the best position to succeed.  

Perhaps not at conscious level, but I could see where some of them might subconsciously relax if they see other players besides themselves on the receiving end of punishment.  In any event, I agree that real staff will fix a lot of the team’s problems.

• Like 2

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Perhaps not at conscious level, but I could see where some of them might subconsciously relax if they see other players besides themselves on the receiving end of punishment.  In any event, I agree that real staff will fix a lot of the team’s problems.

More and more I think Lindy and Groan have done a LOT of damage this year (along with some other dipsh!ts on the staff).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More and more I think Lindy and Groan have done a LOT of damage this year (along with some other dipsh!ts on the staff).

Which I hope Fitz has taken note of.  Whomever he chooses as the next coach needs to be someone who will teach the players to play the right way.

Two potential offseason quotes I better not hear:

“We were right there until the end.”

“The New Jersey Devils are proud to announce that Travis Green will stay on as head coach.”

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

“The New Jersey Devils are proud to announce that Travis Green will stay on as head coach.”

“We feel we’re set at goalie.”

• Like 1
  • Vomiting 1

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz ultimately blundered the season.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Paywall...summary please 🙏

Trotz said he and Fitz discussed Saros, and probably will again but Trotz has his price and is fine going into next year with Saros and Askarov. Said he hired Brunette because he wanted to change the way Nashville played; Brunette demands accountability from ALL players regardless of salary, talent, vet, rookie, etc- it’s essentially salt in the wound. You ain’t missing much. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • EvilHeart 2

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trotz said he and Fitz discussed Saros, and probably will again but Trotz has his price and is fine going into just year with Saros and Askarov. Said he hired Brunette because he wanted to change the way Nashville played; Brunette demands accountability from ALL players regardless of salary, talent, vet, rookie, etc- it’s essentially salt in the wound. You ain’t missing much. 

Thnx a bunch  @MadDog2020

• EvilHeart 2

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trotz said he and Fitz discussed Saros, and probably will again but Trotz has his price and is fine going into next year with Saros and Askarov. Said he hired Brunette because he wanted to change the way Nashville played; Brunette demands accountability from ALL players regardless of salary, talent, vet, rookie, etc- it’s essentially salt in the wound. You ain’t missing much. 

If Fitz doesn't get the next hire right, having not hung onto Brunette and keeping Lindy might wind up being the decision that sinks him.  Hopefully not.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz doesn't get the next hire right, having not hung onto Brunette and keeping Lindy might wind up being the decision that sinks him.  Hopefully not.  

I’m just curious as to what Berube was doing at the game last night; when I was leaving, I walked up the stairs to the concourse, and there he was. I did a double take, and I saw someone else go up to him and shake his hand and exchange a brief word. So I said ‘fvck it’, and did the same. I got nothing from the exchange in terms of his interest in the job, but I did find it to be a coincidence he was at a game watching the Devils.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m just curious as to what Berube was doing at the game last night; when I was leaving, I walked up the stairs to the concourse, and there he was. I did a double take, and I saw someone else go up to him and shake his hand and exchange a brief word. So I said ‘fvck it’, and did the same. I got nothing from the exchange in terms of his interest in the job, but I did find it to be a coincidence he was at a game watching the Devils.

I'm really hoping he gets the job.  Badly.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm really hoping he gets the job.  Badly.  

Me too. Really hope his reason for being there last night was related to the coaching job in some way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You might hear #1...but there's no fvcking way on #2.  If Fitz thought Lindy was going to get it from the crowd before mercy-killing him just wait to what we have in store for Fitz if he keeps THIS fvcking guy?  We'll just be moaning that Bylsma or whoever else Fitz brings in is yet another good ol' boy hire.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. Really hope his reason for being there last night was related to the coaching job in some way.

Isn't he working for the national broadcast now?  TNT had/has Rangers and Flyers home games this week so he's in the area regardless.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

You might hear #1...but there's no fvcking way on #2.  We'll just be moaning that Bylsma or whoever else Fitz brings in is yet another good ol' boy hire.

Yeah I agree that #2 has VERY little chance of happening.  If it ever did, I'd be done with Fitz the second such an announcement was made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s been working for TNT, but the game last night wasn’t on TNT.

I did look up the TNT schedule, they had a Rangers home game a few days ago and a Flyers one tomorrow so he's in the area at least.  I don't know where the TNT studio is though, probably also in NY?

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I did look up the TNT schedule, they had a Rangers home game a few days ago and a Flyers one tomorrow so he's in the area at least.  I don't know where the TNT studio is though, probably also in NY?

I think it’s in Atlanta 

• Like 1

Pretty evident Meier wasn't a fan of Ruff. Green unlocking Meier is the only thing worthwhile he'll have accomplished here; hopefully Timo can build off of it for next season under the new coaching regime.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Pretty evident Meier wasn't a fan of Ruff. Green unlocking Meier is the only thing worthwhile he'll have accomplished here; hopefully Timo can build off of it for next season under the new coaching regime.

I think you're going to hear some of the players taking some digs (in some cases maybe even directly) at Lindy once the exit interviews start.

The questions that Fitz can expect to hear again in his own exit interviews:

"Did you make the wrong choice in both keeping Lindy and then sticking with him, especially once he appeared to lose the room?"

"Did the ready-made in house solution get away?"

I'm sure Fitz won't be thrilled to have to answer those but I think they're fair.  This team should not have missed the playoffs, especially since the teams that are going to claim the Metro3 and WC2 spots are hardly beastly.  There's going to be a TON that Novo and others will point to.  It's going to be a MUCH different offseason for Fitz...not much in the way of accolades coming until he implements a recovery plan that makes sense.

• Like 3