Toffoli to WPG Jets for a 2025 second-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick. Retained Half Salary

15 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Timo goes off, then I'll be happy to see that. I want his confidence sky high to start next season. 

If Timo continues his hot streak, Novo needs to press Fitz on why the old man was allowed to play him out of position for so long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t understand the sentiment that they should have just kept him at all. A 2nd & 3rd is a hell of a lot better than getting nothing. 

I was more irked by the Devils retaining half his salary, but I might be persuaded to look the other way on that if Timo goes on a rampage now that he’s back at RW.

• Like 2

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

I was more irked by the Devils retaining half his salary, but I might be persuaded to look the other way on that if Timo goes on a rampage now that he’s back at RW.

Why though? It literally means nothing after this season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Why though? It literally means nothing after this season. 

It reeked of desperation.  Fitz somewhat redeemed himself, however, by offloading Vanecek and taking only half of Allen’s salary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If Timo continues his hot streak, Novo needs to press Fitz on why the old man was allowed to play him out of position for so long.

100%. If we finally get the "San Jose Sharks Timo Meier" every night, then Fitz needs to explain why putting him on the left side all year was even allowed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slasher72 said:

100%. If we finally get the "San Jose Sharks Timo Meier" every night, then Fitz needs to explain why putting him on the left side all year was even allowed. 

"I trusted the coach. He's around the guys more than I am so he has a feel for the locker room and the system." - gotta read that in his accent, any time i tried to type it out that way, it came out inappropriate.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It reeked of desperation.  Fitz somewhat redeemed himself, however, by offloading Vanecek and taking only half of Allen’s salary.

I think retainage on deadline deals with expiring contracts have kind of lost any trade value.  It's baked into the cake that any contender is going to be pressed against the cap and is going to need retainage to make a deal work.   Better to get the two picks than scuttle the deal over retainage that will never matter to NJ.    

• Like 2

Sharongovich has 25 goals this year in Calgary, lol. When he was here, Lindy had him buried in the roster and couldn't figure out how to give him good linemates. I wouldn't doubt if Ruff had a big part in him getting shipped out, just like he's about to contribute post-mortem in Holtz getting shipped out. So in hindsight with Yegor, Fitz basically got a 2nd rounder for a 25 year old winger who scored 25 goals so far this year.

It's a good thing Ruff never had Nemec in his doghouse or he might have been in Fitz's crosshairs also. I honestly don't think Fitz understands the potential talent of these players. IMO, he probably listens to his analytics nerds first and then head coach,and makes moves based on their input (except when the coach is begging for a goalie of course, lol).

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Sharongovich has 25 goals this year in Calgary, lol. When he was here, Lindy had him buried in the roster and couldn't figure out how to give him good linemates. I wouldn't doubt if Ruff had a big part in him getting shipped out, just like he's about to contribute post-mortem in Holtz getting shipped out. So in hindsight with Yegor, Fitz basically got a 2nd rounder for a 25 year old winger who scored 25 goals so far this year. It's a good thing Ruff never had Nemec in his doghouse or he might have been in Fitz's crosshairs also.

Sharangovich would be too far down the lineup in NJ to get the PP and top 6 time he got in Calgary to get to 25.   He's also close to a team worst -9.   He can certainly score, we saw that at times but he's not really good enough to be a top 6 on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.   Just like Severson and Graves, I think he's the type of guy you move on from as you try to turn the corner towards being a legit contender. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Sharongovich has 25 goals this year in Calgary, lol. When he was here, Lindy had him buried in the roster and couldn't figure out how to give him good linemates. I wouldn't doubt if Ruff had a big part in him getting shipped out, just like he's about to contribute post-mortem in Holtz getting shipped out. So in hindsight with Yegor, Fitz basically got a 2nd rounder for a 25 year old winger who scored 25 goals so far this year. It's a good thing Ruff never had Nemec in his doghouse or he might have been in Fitz's crosshairs also.

Sharangovich was given opportunities last season…he simply wasn’t good and he scored three goals over his final 41 games.  He was traded for a guy who did exactly what he was supposed to, but obviously given how this season has played out, it didn’t make sense to sign Toffoli to the long-term deal that he’s seeking.

Sharangovich is shooting 18.8% this season…that’s a lot higher than in previous seasons.  This might very well turn out to be a career year for him.

I also think some are forgetting that Sharangovich was a RFA last offseason.  Not like he was under contract when Fitz dealt him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharangovich was given opportunities last season…he simply wasn’t good and he scored three goals over his final 41 games.  He was traded for a guy who did exactly what he was supposed to, but obviously given how this season has played out, it didn’t make sense to sign Toffoli to the long-term deal that he’s seeking.

Sharangovich is shooting 18.8% this season…that’s a lot higher than in previous seasons.  This might very well turn out to be a career year for him.

I also think some are forgetting that Sharangovich was a RFA last offseason.  Not like he was under contract when Fitz dealt him.

Exactly. Sharangovich was a whipping boy around here for being so frustrating to watch. He had so much promise from the previous season, but was just bad for all of last year. It wasn't so much a product of him getting bad ice time either. He played himself out of the lineup, and ultimately a lot of that falls on him. I really did love the guy, and still feel that with some patience, he could have turned things around here. And in retrospect, maybe that would have been a fine thing to do. But for a team that is coming off a record-breaking season, I don't think anyone was inclined to be patient with someone still figuring it out.

• Like 5