GDT: 3/19/24 Penguins @ Devils 7:00 pm MSGSN

ButlerBulldog

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ll admit that I was one of the people who, during the first month of the season, wondered if the Devils would miss Graves’ experience.  Clearly, letting him walk was the right move.

• Like 1

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

I’ll admit that I was one of the people who, during the first month of the season, wondered if the Devils would miss Graves’ experience.  Clearly, letting him walk was the right move.

He was brutal the 2nd half last season and in the playoffs. Seems like he picked up right where he left off. 

Severson was always the one they were going to miss more out of the two. 

• Like 3

Weird to see Nico have a bad defensive game, although he looked very good offensively despite no points.

I expected Timo to be much higher, too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

NIce.  This passes the eye test too.  Luke clearly had a jump in his legs he hasn't had in 2 months tonight.   

He’s strung together 2 very good games in a row now. Would love to see him finish out strong, and build for next season. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It was the right move because there was no way the Devils had any business signing him to 6 years.  Especially with Luke and Nemec here.

I did like Graves to an extent, but he was absolutely exposed as a “transitional” guy last season.  If you’re a team that’s trying to stop sucking he’s not a bad guy to help a D that’s lacking talent, but once you really try to become a contender, he’s a guy that you leave behind.  Just like the Avs did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I expected Timo to be much higher, too. 

Right, and I don’t think Nemec was as bad defensively as these numbers suggest.  He was involved in that sequence leading to the first Pens goal, but he actually won his puck battle before getting double-teamed.  Brendan Smith should get dinged for hitting the crossbar with virtually empty net.

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He was brutal the 2nd half last season and in the playoffs. Seems like he picked up right where he left off. 

Severson was always the one they were going to miss more out of the two. 

Re:  Seves, it was Hamilton who was really missed this season.  I’ll never miss watching Seves continue to make first and second-year mistakes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It was the right move because there was no way the Devils had any business signing him to 6 years.  Especially with Luke and Nemec here.

I did like Graves to an extent, but he was absolutely exposed as a “transitional” guy last season.  If you’re a team that’s trying to stop sucking he’s not a bad guy to help a D that’s lacking talent, but once you really try to become a contender, he’s a guy that you leave behind.  Just like the Avs did.

In retrospect, I’d attribute my earlier feelings to uncertainty about how quickly Luke would find his footing, whether Nemec would get called up, etc.  Now that both look like they’ll be part of the Devils’ core for years to come and Graves is struggling, it’s easier to see the logic in moving on from him.

Just imagine how much differently things would look if Allen had been here since January, let alone November. Despite all of their other issues, they would absolutely be in a playoff spot. Infuriating. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

In retrospect, I’d attribute my earlier feelings to uncertainty about how quickly Luke would find his footing, whether Nemec would get called up, etc.  Now that both look like they’ll be part of the Devils’ core for years to come and Graves is struggling, it’s easier to see the logic in moving on from him.

The Graves “replacement” was more or less Colin Miller, really…a guy with experience, but not someone the Devils had to commit to beyond this season.  So not like Fitz didn’t attempt to fill in that blank.

That being said, obviously Hamilton being out was a killer, especially when it came to the PP.  Like others have pointed out, meant more was asked out of Luke than was likely intended.  Also would love to know why Smith got the “ol reliable” treatment by Lindy (and continues to from Groan), but we’ll probably never get an answer on that.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Graves “replacement” was more or less Colin Miller, really…a guy with experience, but not someone the Devils had to commit to beyond this season.  So not like Fitz didn’t attempt to fill in that blank.

That being said, obviously Hamilton being out was a killer, especially when it came to the PP.  Like others have pointed out, meant more was asked out of Luke than was likely intended.  Also would love to know why Smith got the “ol reliable” treatment by Lindy (and continues to from Groan), but we’ll probably never get an answer on that.

As I said earlier, I actually wouldn’t mind Miller being re-signed this summer if he’s willing to be a seventh d-man.

As I said earlier, I actually wouldn’t mind Miller being re-signed this summer if he’s willing to be a seventh d-man.

Same, I would absolutely LOVE him back in such a role, but I think he has a shot to get more playing time elsewhere.

• Like 1

Goalie A:  4 starts, 137 shots, 129 saves, .942 save%

Goalie B:  3 starts, 111 shots, 105 saves, .946 save%

Goalie A was Nico Daws in mid-Feb.

Goalie B is Jake Allen as a Devil.

Hope Jake turns in a solid body of work while he’s here, but anyone can enjoy a short-sample burst.  And as we know, not like this year’s team plays the kind of system or defense that makes life easier for their goalies over extended stretches.  Devils goalies face a lot of rubber and a lot of prime scoring opportunities.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Seves, it was Hamilton who was really missed this season.  I’ll never miss watching Seves continue to make first and second-year mistakes.

Well sure, Dougie is in a completely different tier than Severson. I was just talking about which one of the two they missed more out of Seves and Graves. And for me it was definitely the former. I really soured on Graves last season. And it seems his downward trajectory has continued. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He also never played with Nico full time before either. This is exactly what we all hoped for based off their international tournaments together. 

Yep, but big brained Lindy knows more than anyone who has ever watched hockey. His prowess is unmatched, as established by his fourth most wins ever with absolutely zero playoff success to show for it.

It amazes me he’s been able to get hired three times as head coach and still could only reach the final once

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They don’t really need to do anything.   I looked at the Graves and Karlsson acquisitions last summer as taking a last shot with the Crosby/Malkin core.   That ship has sailed and now they’re looking down the barrel of a full blown rebuild, especially if Crosby tells Dubas to F off this summer.   They’ll have plenty of cap space.  

It was kind of obvious but good on Fitz for walking away this summer.   

• Like 2