GDT: 4/2/2024, Pens @ Devils, 7:00 pm, back to bar analogies

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don’t blame you. I’m going on Sunday; that will be my last game for the season. 

I might go see one more game with my kid before the season's out.

It's funny, I took her all those years when the Devils weren't good (sometimes even dreadful), but now the whole idea of being slammed back into the suckbox is really hard to get past...I do think it's temporary and I do think the Devils will be relevant next season, but I can't say that I'm super-excited about seeing them off.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I might go see one more game with my kid before the season's out.

It's funny, I took her all those years when the Devils weren't good (sometimes even dreadful), but now the whole idea of being slammed back into the suckbox is really hard to get past...I do think it's temporary and I do think the Devils will be relevant next season, but I can't say that I'm super-excited about seeing them off.  

I think it seems apparent that the trio of Hughes-Hischier-Hamilton all have to be healthy ALL TOGETHER for this team to be relevant.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This will probably be the first game of the season that I will voluntarily not turn on. I'm burnt out. It can be over now. I started to write them off when nothing changed in December so I'm surprised I held on as long as I did.

What's both funny AND sad as fvck is that it's not like everyone around them (and now in front of them) went crazy in leaving them behind (last 20 GP):

Red Wings:  8-10-2

Caps:  12-6-2 (some kudos to them, nothing was expected of them)

Flyers:  7-9-4

Isles:  10-9-1

Pens:  8-9-3

And the Devils?  8-12-0

The Devils didn't have go any a major tear by any stretch...if they went, say, 11-8-1, they're right in the fvcking thick of things.  But as we know, every time - literally, EVERY SINGLE TIME - they were given an opening, they failed to take advantage.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's both funny AND sad as fvck is that it's not like everyone around them (and now in front of them) went crazy in leaving them behind (last 20 GP):

Red Wings:  8-10-2

Caps:  12-6-2 (some kudos to them, nothing was expected of them)

Flyers:  7-9-4

Isles:  10-9-1

Pens:  8-9-3

And the Devils?  8-12-0

The Devils didn't have go any a major tear by any stretch...if they went, say, 11-8-1, they're right in the fvcking thick of things.  But as we know, every time - literally, EVERY SINGLE TIME - they were given an opening, they failed to take advantage.  

This season was easily avoidable; inaction by Fitz sunk it. It can be described in two words: missed opportunity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

This season was easily avoidable; inaction by Fitz sunk it. It can be described in two words: missed opportunity.

As far as making the playoffs, I agree, there's things Fitz could have done to at least give them a better chance.

In terms of winning a Cup though, probably not.  This team isn't there yet...that's the one reality that makes this season a little (not much, mind you) more tolerable.  But as we've been over many times, given that several of the "kids" are now firmly either in or entering their primes, next year needs to be approached with legit urgency.  No more missed opportunities of any kind; if the ship is to go down in any given season, at least patch the holes and do as much as you can to keep it afloat (or even make it a BETTER ship).  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as making the playoffs, I agree, there's things Fitz could have done to at least give them a better chance.

In terms of winning a Cup though, probably not.  This team isn't there yet...that's the one reality that makes this season a little (not much, mind you) more tolerable.  But as we've been over many times, given that several of the "kids" are now firmly either in or entering their primes, next year needs to be approached with legit urgency.  No more missed opportunities of any kind; if the ship is to go down in any given season, at least patch the holes and do as much as you can to keep it afloat (or even make it a BETTER ship).  

💯💯💯💯💯

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed.  The Devils’ core is still young, but their window to contend may close rapidly if they have another season like this one.  I’m hoping that Fitz has a plan and that his “big-game hunting” talk about goalies was, in fact, more than just talk.

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  The Devils’ core is still young, but their window to contend may close rapidly if they have another season like this one.  I’m hoping that Fitz has a plan and that his “big-game hunting” talk about goalies was, in fact, more than just talk.

I 100% think that he's going to try to follow through, re:  a goalie, but how much is he willing to give up to get one?  That's what we'll find out.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I 100% think that he's going to try to follow through, re:  a goalie, but how much is he willing to give up to get one?  That's what we'll find out.  

I’m sure he’d be more than happy to part with Holtz given the way he trashed him a month ago, but I don’t know that a package built around Alex is enough, especially with his value having decreased because of said trashing.  Mercer is another guy who can be moved, as is Seamus Casey, who probably doesn’t have a spot among the Devils’ defensemen.

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’m sure he’d be more than happy to part with Holtz given the way he trashed him a month ago, but I don’t know that a package built around Alex is enough, especially with his value having decreased because of said trashing.  Mercer is another guy who can be moved, as is Seamus Casey, who probably doesn’t have a spot among the Devils’ defensemen.

Yeah talked about this elsewhere (in the prospects thread, due to Casey).  Either that thread or the offseason thread is probably the better place to discuss, this being a GDT and all. 

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This will probably be the first game of the season that I will voluntarily not turn on. I'm burnt out. It can be over now. I started to write them off when nothing changed in December so I'm surprised I held on as long as I did.

I managed to hang on until about a week and a half ago and then I hit a wall with Devils hockey right as march madness was starting and then the NCAA hockey regionals this past weekend.    

Looks like Smith is paired with Luke now.  Why is this coaching staff so intent on screwing up its rookies?

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

He can best help the team by being a press box presence

Or better yet, a waiver wire presence.  Only thirteen more days.

• Like 1