Why I Like Mike

SC Devs Fan

For all the negative issues surrounding him, I am glad that Danton is on our roster. This franchise has never grown the 'pester' type of player in the mold of Dale Hunter or Claude Lemieux and think of the careers they went on to. Players like them you love if they are on your roster and hate them when they play for anyone else. I see this guy as a big part of our future if he keeps his head on straight and I like what I have seen from him on the ice so far; too many silly penalties, but remember how young he is.

I agree. Head on straight (and it's cool to have him currently situated with two of the most grounded guys on the team to help in that way).

He plays pretty hard for us. And the pest element is a good one to have. He also has that glimmer of a dangerous shot, so that's always welcome.

Sue, I can't wait to find out! I do know that Sandy McCarthy will be flapping his gums and probably his wings, too (remember when he did the chicken thing at Stevens when Stevens wouldn't fight him?).

I live for these games, and am hoping for something memorable (like Scott Gomez's hat trick at the Garden his rookie year).

I couldn't see Punkass in action last game since my Center Ice crapped out the ENTIRE NIGHT. :angry: But if people said he played well, I'm inclined to believe them.

Even if he is a punk, I have to admit that those qualities will be well appreciated against the Ranger$$$$ tomorrow :lol: (as long as he doesn't take a completely assinine penalty that costs us the game, that is).

SCDevsFan:

I see this guy as a big part of our future if he keeps his head on straight

Therein lies the rub. That's partly what ticks me off about his blowups; he CAN be a good player for us. We've seen it the first three games of the season and we've seen it the last several games.

For our sake, for his sake, for the team's sake, he'd better not have any more blowups (at least he's avoided the real big ON-ice blowup so far - thank you Jim and Turner for that). You can only push Lou so far, no matter your talent level.

I still don't see Danton as anything more than like a 3rd liner. There isn't anything wrong with that, but I can't see a guy who is that selfish, in terms of passing and maintaining his correct position, becoming an amazing player. I especially can't see that ever happening in NJ where the system rules all.

-Scott

I can't see a guy who is that selfish, in terms of passing and maintaining his correct position, becoming an amazing player.

-Scott

Scott, you lost me. I agree he likely won't be an "amazing" player. But he hasn't been a selfish player on the ice. He was selfish when he took his gripes to the press, but he knows how to play the game right. Just watch him play, he's pretty decent. I'll bet he won't be a fourth line player his whole career, if he's patient and continues to work hard and improve

I feel, from watching the games, he has been selfish. He is very unlikely to pass the puck, and instead will try to beat the defense 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. He goes out of his way to deliver body checks regardless if it will lead to a defensive break down or not. I feel both of those situations are ones where he puts himself, trying to impress others, ahead of what would help the team the most.

-Scott

Jerrydevil:

I also want to know what this "blow-up" is that people are worried about.

His holdout/leaving the team last year? The over-the top whiny act he pulled this year when he was benched and almost left the team again? Those qualify as MAJOR blowups to me, even though they were "off-ice" and not "on-ice", although he's surely capable of on-ice blowups too based on what his history was in Albany and the fact he's been compared to Darcy Tucker (fortunately he's been disciplined ON the ice so far).

The guy has played in 14 NHL games.

He's scored 2 goals, and he's on the positive side of +/-

He plays with a goon converted to forward (Jimbo) and Turner Stone-hand-son.

Let's give him a bit more time.

Think that's a good idea?

I'm a lot more upset at Friesen's & Elias' play than Danton.

Amen, msweet!

What's wrong with Darcy Tucker? If Danton turns out to be Darcy Tucker, I call that a success. Yeah, Tucker's dirty, but you gotta admit, he distracted the whole Devil team with his style of play before Tie Domi woke up the Devils. It was a thing of beauty if you're not a Devil fan!

You're right, Hasan, about the off-ice stuff. I was addressing someone else who was worried about on-ice blowups. We definitely don't want Danton committing double-minors or majors when he's the only one headed to the box, but being a guy that plays on the edge, Danton's going to get his share of penalties, but so far, he's been pretty disciplined. A misconduct here and there isn't so bad. It's pretty damn entertaining if you ask me!

Scott, I don't see what you see. I think you're determined to hate Danton no matter what he does, but that's just a guess.

I never said I hated Danton. Just because I don't agree with everyone here, doesn't mean I hate him. I love the heart he brings and how hard he tries. I feel he is very misguided with some of his efforts though.

Of course I could respond, Jerry I think you're just determined to love Danton and refuse to see what is there. :P

-Scott

I think Msweet said it best in his post. There are other star players for NJ that aren't fulfilling expectations.

Danton has done fine as their fourth center. He's definitely an agitating player. But he's also a good skater with a good shot. Look at the two goals he scored. Both on tough angles from near the boards (1 RW and other on LW). I think if you gave him better linemates, he might produce more.

I expect there to be some sort of chaos involving him and Sandy "The Sniper" tomorrow night.

Also, how many PIM does he have?

I think Msweet said it best in his post. There are other star players for NJ that aren't fulfilling expectations.

I hesitate bringing it up here, cause this is the Danton thread, but it is something on my mind.

I'm not worried about the guys who aren't producing bucketloads for us right now. We're getting contribution from everyone on the defensive end, so everyone is obviously trying to make this team thing work.

I've seen a lot of good things from Elias, he still looks a little snake-bit, but it's nothing he can't work his way through. Nieuwy is battling and battling and Freeze, well he just seems to be trying to find his way.

With other players stepping up for us, we do have this time to give them. For Elias to figure how to get around the double-teams he now gets (particularly with less strong linemates). For Nieuwy to finish off some great chances he gives himself and for Freeze to fit in.

The hallmark of this team IS the ability for others to step up and make contributions. And what we have left in the basket gives us so many options.

It's hard to see them all as not playing hard when the defense can not be objected to.