An Open Letter About Fandom

devspage

I wasn't sure how I wanted to word this but I'm pretty disappointed on the beratement of our own fans on our own forum.

I don't see what's wrong with celebrating a goal. I don't care if it's November. Don't we ALWAYS say that every points we get are important points? And wouldn't that hold true in November as much as in March?

If the forumers who are fans of a particular player are happy about them getting a goal, then they are! I don't see why anyone would need to try and knock them down two minutes after it happened. And I REALLY don't see the need for them to apologize for it afterwards.

This is a fan forum. We don't have to come here only to rip apart the things we don't like. I personally am here to celebrate the team. Not condemn them and the other people here.

I am not pointing to anyone in specific. I just don't think it's cool in general. If those are supposed to be coming off as jokes... well, they really aren't.

I literally was open-mouthed and at a loss for words when I came to this board and saw what went on after the OT game. It's the same thing that happened last week after the victory.

These are wins. They are precious to me. And yes, I celebrated every single solitary goal Tuesday like it was a March win. I feel no shame in that. And I feel no shame in Gina being happy for her favorite player. And in Little J's support for Little G.

Just wanted to voice that because I thought it needed saying.

Uh oh...did someone yell at neids fan? :o Only SHE would appologize! :lol:

I agree with you but I'm getting to the point where I feel like we have to all stop defending eachother, as well as halt the attacking. Kind of the old "A good defense is your best offense" route. In saying let's not yell at someone for being positive -- well that's sort of picking on those that are being negative...err...realistic, isn't it?

We are all Devils fans. Some are happier than others. Some are more curmudgeonly that others. Both parties seem a little thin skinned if you ask me!

I love ^7^ I love Neids fan I love...well love may be too strong a word... GetReal and even bg!

I think the best course of action is that we all stop trying to dictate how our boardmates should post. Individuality is the spice of life!

I wasn't in the forum right after the game, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, but good post. Who got berated?

I don't really wanna rehash anythng.

Just wanted to let the posters trying to post their enjoyment over the game know there are others out there who do feel the same way and are glad for their posts and excitement.

And maybe to get some people to think a little more. If you're rolling your eyes at home and going "ohhhh, not another (fill in player's name) post" how about just rolling your eyes at home then and moving on to the next post without tearing someone else down.

This is fun, damn it!! ;)

I think the best course of action is that we all stop trying to dictate how our boardmates should post.  Individuality is the spice of life!

To add to that PK...I think some folks should learn that opinions are not facts and everyone is entitled to theirs...some live to contort to their own liking, some are just brave behind a monitor and some take stuff too personal...observations about the team, or anything for that matter, are just sightings that have a personal flair kinda like an opinion :D

I agree with you but I'm getting to the point where I feel like we have to all stop defending eachother, as well as halt the attacking. Kind of the old "A good defense is your best offense" route. In saying let's not yell at someone for being positive -- well that's sort of picking on those that are being negative...err...realistic, isn't it?

I understand what you're saying, PK.

But I don't think, in this case, the young 'uns are really being defended.

If you can't say you're excited about a victory two minutes after it ends, is this really healthy for any of us?

That's why I'm not pointing fingers and saying this person should stop this and that.

Maybe it's just cause I don't feel the need to say "it was a piddly goal so don't get too excited about it." So I'll be hyper-sensitive when it's said to Little J, whether or not I agree with it.

When this board is at a point where it seems there are more "fans" who do nothing but grouse and complain and pick-apart a winning team they supposedly support, why should we be shocked that the few positive fans should be picked on or berated for celebrating a victory? This is what basically causes most of the "devil colored glasses wearing people" to lurk or leave alltogether.

When this board is at a point where it seems there are more "fans" who do nothing but grouse and complain and pick-apart a winning team they supposedly support, why should we be shocked that the few positive fans should be picked on or berated for celebrating a victory? This is what basically causes most of the "devil colored glasses wearing people" to lurk or leave alltogether.

Hmmm, maybe shocked is the wrong word.

I guess it is expected. It's just not appreciated much.

I used to love this board for giving me the opp to do what I couldn't with anyone else. But now it's all playing defense and standing up for people that I think shouldn't be twisting in the wind.

man, people should just relax and not worry about what others think or feel.

Be proud in what you think.......that is the only person you have to worry about.

Does anyone really need another poster to "validate" them.

Debate, opinions, different views............are all good.

One's self worth should not depend on a Hockey team or opinions about said Hockey team.................even if they are our beloved Devils.

It boils down to this, if you can't say YAY! NIEDS GOT THE OT GAME-WINNER!!! two minutes after it happens without someone jumping down your throat, then we're not in great shape on the forum.

I kinda agree with this. I can't say I'm shocked at all by what I read, but I've noticed that the tone of the posts contain more negativity and gloominess this season..... you'd think the team was more like 5-11 or something.

It's not always fun to read this forum anymore and one big reason is because so many fans can NEVER look on the bright side. My question is WHY are they constantly focusing on the bad? It's not all that psychologically healthy in a way.

I personally get tired of the "realistic" fans who do nothing but complain, and just like a show on TV I'm not interested in, I change the channel. I am a fan & I love wins & I am happy after a win. And I agree with a lot of what was said in this string of posts. I like being in a Devils fan community & sort of E-toasting after a good game. I watch hockey to enjoy myself. I save the aggravation for when I'm at work, or paying the bills. Others watch hockey to get aggravated. Come on, our record is NOT 2 and 14. Smile once in a while.

I bleed Devil's red.

My night is good when they win, my night and next morning suck when they lose.

I'm very busy in life with work and kids, and I choose to spend my time rooting for the Devils and being an admin on this board.

That's why I pound those posters here who get on the Devils and claim to be fans.

Seeing the positive responses to this post make me more determined to have this board run the proper way:

Meaningful discussion about hockey in a pro-Devils environment.