WJC 2005 Tournament Thread

Derek21

I saw the highlights for the canadia game. Bergeron looked good, making some nice moves on his goal and forcing schwarz to go for the pokecheck and bergy doged that and got a goal. very nice. Bergeron could have had another and an assist, but crosby flubbed a open net and bergeron hit a post also. Schwarz looked VERY good.

Olesz got some revenge when he took down phaneuf. Olesz got wrecked by phaneuf last year. Olesz had a nice goal. Just a simple wrist shot on a 2 on one, no pass or anything.

I think schwarz might have had a chance on the carter goal, carter was banging away and schwarz kinda lost his ground and carter scored a bertuzzi-esque goal. The dawes goal was sweet. Stupid rangers get him...grr.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently the game wasn't moved to ABC, just duplicated.  So just so I'm sure I'm not in an alternate universe, ESPN preempted a semifinal between the USA and RUSSIA to show an NFL game on TWO channels pitting a Giants team who's lost 8 million games in a row against a Cowboy team that's at nine losses going on ten? :rolleyes:

I was all set to call this the boneheaded move of the century, but then I remembered that over-the-air rights still apply for Sunday night games. I don't remember if both teams can carry the game on a broadcast station or just the home team, but it's a local thing, not a network decision. For many years, WPIX would air the ESPN feed of Sunday night games (not sure if it was only the Jets or both teams); now I guess that right goes to the local ABC affiliate.

Just to make sure, I checked the ABC affiliate here in Albany, and they've got that show where they rebuild people's houses (I don't know what the name of it is, I hate reality programming). So the game is only on channel 7 in New York; channel 10 in Albany, channel 6 in Philly, etc., are airing regular network programming.

Grr... I can't watch the game. Stupid Giants-Cowboy game. Blah. I WANT HOCKEY.

3-1 was a generous score for the Czech-Canada game. Schwartz was awesome and most certainly deserved the player of the game award he got.

Crosby choked pretty hard on that open net feed that Bergeron sent over to him. He's been good, but not dominate as people were predicting. Bergeron, who is the older of the two, is most certainly, at this point, the better player.

Grr... I can't watch the game. Stupid Giants-Cowboy game. Blah. I WANT HOCKEY.

3-1 was a generous score for the Czech-Canada game. Schwartz was awesome and most certainly deserved the player of the game award he got.

Crosby choked pretty hard on that open net feed that Bergeron sent over to him. He's been good, but not dominate as people were predicting. Bergeron, who is the older of the two, is most certainly, at this point, the better player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby is still pretty good, obviously not up to predictions and the ultra high expectations, but come on the kid's been good. Obviously bergeron's going to be better :D I honestly think crosby wouldn't have this many points if he played with another person. I think he would have more assist, but i don't think his overall play would be this good. I personally think crosby is saving his best for last...

I'm becoming a crosby fan...I didn't like how he was all overrated, but i'm liking his attitude and how he just shrugs off the complements he's given and talks about the TEAM, makes me happy. So i'm liking the kid now....

Has anyone else seen the 2 times the russians intentionally knockked the net off its moorings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, this is getting ridiculous. I mean sometimes it is hard to tell if it is intentional, but these two times were so obvious, I don't know how you can go without calling it. :rant:

That was certainly fun. USA was out of it when they were down 0-2 five minutes into the first, the penalties killed them. Yeah, they made an impressive comeback in the period, but the game was sealed after that second Russian PP goal.

Russians just played the better game. Doesn't make me like them any more, though, all the hot-dogging wasn't necessary. Whatever, they can do what they want.

I applaud the US for their efforts, they just didn't have enough (especially defense-wise). It didn't help that Montoya was inconsistant for pretty much the entire tourney (with the exception of last night, I'd say), but I'm not placing blame on him. He did do pretty damn well overall.

Go Canada.

I don't want to talk about the game. I want to talk about the poor sportsmanship shown by the Russians. It started last week when that buffoon Shirokov scored on a penalty shot with his "WWE" hand gesture to his ear. What did he think he was? Hulk Hogan :angry:.

I knew they had no chance tonight because the Russians were so much better. It's one thing for them to outskate and outwork Team USA for 60 minutes. But it's quite another for them to have the game won and resort to taunting our players. It was a disgusting display that's seen way too much in pro sports. Disgraceful.

And I want to commend that play-by-play caster for taking these bozos to task. He was dead on. They instigated it and deserve an ass kicking. Hopefully, Canada will oblige and give them the beating they deserve. I am not a Canada guy but I know they don't act like primadonas. I know they respect their opponents and the game. I can't seem to figure out why the Russians can't.

They are extremely skilled and actually pose the only threat to Canada in the gold medal game Tuesday night. Yes, Canada will be pushed this time. Yes, Russia can win. But they'll have to play a perfect game. There is no place in the game for those idiotic antics.

And the flopping to the ice, cmon. It's bad enough the USA D treated every Russia rush into a fire drill. What did they have? 11 power plays? Not to mention the intentional delays of game that weren't detected.

P.S. Andy Brinkley is a jerk. How could he defend what Malkin did? I'm glad his partner and Pang were on the ball.

As for the game, it was all Russia. The only time the U.S. did anything was when they cycled the puck and drew two first period power plays. They had a lousy 2nd period. If not for Montoya, the game would have been over much sooner. Russia should have had a couple of more goals after the 2nd.

The 3rd was more of the same. They got nothing done on that PP and Montoya robbed someone shorthanded. Would have been the save of the game if not for Khudobin's sprawling one on Kessel near the end of the 2nd. That was the turning point.

The Malkin goal was another defensive screw up. The whole tournament, they played like garbage and let players walk in and get dangerous shots on net. 2-on-1's, 3-on-2's, you name it.

Look no further than that showoff Shirokov's goal which was the deciding goal in the first. The Russians come up ice and do two criss-crosses and the D backs up so far that they miss the assignment and let the Russian walk in and whip a puck gloveside by Montoya. What was he? Five feet away? Awful.

That summed up the team's lack of D all tournament. I couldn't even find fault with Al for the Malkin goal. 3-on-2 and Malkin used the D-man as a screen.

How is any goalie going to defend that? In my estimation, that puts too much stress on one player. No goalie can handle that. Not when the D backs in and routinely turns over the puck inside their own blueline. Not when they take undisciplined penalties and can't even clear the puck out on the first two power plays. Not when they let a guy redirect a shot standing right in front or when they leave the most dangerous sniper in the tournament wide open in the slot.

You can't win that way. Last year, they had a better team. Potter, Wisniewski and Stuart were all solid D-men. They all were reliable moving the puck and taking the body. That was the difference.

Montoya played better last year too. But he also wasn't under the same duress. That makes a difference.

Look at Mike Richter's career. He was brilliant at times. But once the Rangers D became inept, Richter's stats took a huge hit. It wasn't a reflection of what kind of goalie he was. The porous D was also a factor in why Richy kept getting hurt. He also probably got burned out.

As for who played well for the team in their quest to repeat:

Stafford- by far their best player overall. He is just a lot of fun to watch and has great speed. Looked like the leader of the team.

Kessel- very gifted forward with great shiftiness. Tried those moves tonight but it didn't work. He will be the star next year.

O'Sullivan- I know he didn't score as much but there's something about the way he plays that I like. His skating is top notch and his skill is excellent. He competes well too.

Fritsche- he was invible tonight as most of his 'mates were but he played well for the tourney. Great skater, good hands and wins draws.

Suter- he was the only D-man who played well. Yeah, he had an off night against Belarus. But for most of the tournament, he was reliable in both ends and knows how to play the man. I bet he turns out to be really good.

Callahan- just love how he competes. He's always hustling for pucks or throwing a big hit that forces a turnover like tonight. It wound up drawing a power play. Also a very good penalty killer. He was one of the few guys who didn't look lost out there against the Russians.

Porter- he's a lot like Callahan except with a little more skill. Great penalty killer and he's always hustling. Skates well and sets up plays. Very underrated.

Schremp- all this talk about his attitude aside, who cares? This guy had the best shot on the team and in limited ice-time, netted four goals. He plays a power forward kind of game. Really strong on the board. Edmonton stole him.

I'm probably leaving out a couple of others. But I felt those were the most consistent players for the U.S.

I hope they win their Bronze medal game against the Czechs. Can anyone say payback?

I wish they televised the final between Russia and Canada. But I also understand why they don't. Most normal hockey fans here just can't get into this. I was over my friend's the other night and he put some of the game on. But he just didn't have the same enthusiasm that he would have for his Oilers.

I think it's time to face facts. ESPN is the only outlet we have when it comes to hockey coverage. And though, many including myself feel they don't always do enough to give the game exposure, they are 1000 times better at promoting it than that joke of a commissioner (pig vomit) and his geniuses.

They didn't have to air any of these USA games but chose to do so to at least generate a buzz. I bet the ratings were lousy. But ya know what? They deserve credit for at least covering some of it. We got to see some of the world's best prospects. It's unfortunate that it came at the expense of a labor impasse. I still enjoyed it and in some aspects, even more than NHL games.

Also, ESPN will be coming up with a new 24-hour college hockey network that will cover games in March. That should be good.

Watching these guys skate and create on a wider rink with no 2-line pass makes me realize that maybe that should happen with the NHL whenever it returns.

There is so much more room out there for forwards and D-men really have to be good as do goalies or they'll get scored on.

I wish I could see the final. I bet it will be great hockey. Whoever gets to see it, enjoy it and let us know what you thought. It's been fun.

Back to whatever college or AHL hockey they show here.

Edited by Derek21

Here's the boxscore for Team Russia's (Showoffs) win over Team USA:

01/02/2005

1st 2nd 3rd Total

USA 2 0 0 2

RUS 3 0 4 7

Rink: Ralph Engelstad Arena

Surface: ICE

Game summary

First Period

1-RUS : Dimitri Vorobiev (PP) (2) 01:58

(Ovechkin, Pestunov)

2-RUS : Alexander Ovechkin (PP) (6) 04:43

(Vorobiev, Ezhov)

3-USA : Robbie Schremp (PP) (4) 08:55

4-USA : Patrick O'Sullivan (PP) (2) 14:44

(Suter)

5-RUS : Sergei Shirokov (4) 16:01

(Radoulov, Malkin)

Penalties:

01:18 - USA: Alex Goligoski (10) - 2:00 High Sticking

03:11 - USA: Jake Dowell (16) - 2:00 Interference

07:00 - RUS: Dimitri Vorobiev (6) - 2:00 Hooking

11:02 - USA: Drew Stafford (19) - 2:00 Hooking

14:03 - RUS: Grigori Shafigulin (19) - 2:00 Slashing

17:28 - USA: Robbie Schremp (17) - 2:00 Slashing

Second Period

No goal

Penalties:

05:06 - USA: Casey Borer (6) - 2:00 Tripping

07:05 - RUS: Dmitri Pestunov (12) - 2:00 Slashing

11:23 - USA: Jake Dowell (16) - 2:00 Charging

13:37 - USA: Ryan Suter (7) - 2:00 Holding

19:48 - RUS: Alexei Emelin (20) - 2:00 Interference

Third Period

6-RUS : Evgeni Malkin (2) 11:03

(Panin)

7-RUS : Alexander Ovechkin (EN) (7) 17:46

(Vorobiev)

8-RUS : Evgeni Malkin (EN) (3) 18:49

9-RUS : Mikhail Yunkov (PP) (1) 19:19

(Ezhov, Vorobiev)

Penalties:

05:44 - USA: Ryan Callahan (24) - 2:00 Roughing

11:56 - USA: Patrick O'Sullivan (12) - 4:00 High Sticking

18:49 - USA: Ryan Suter (7) - 2:00 Slashing

19:36 - USA: Ryan Callahan (24) - 5:00 High Sticking

19:36 - USA: Ryan Callahan (24) - 20:00 Game Misconduct

19:36 - USA: Nate Hagemo (18) - 10:00 Misconduct

Shots on goal:

RUS: 14-17-12 (43)

USA: 8-9-7 (24)

Power-play conversions

USA: 2/4

RUS: 3/11

Goaltenders

RUS: Anton Khudobin 22 SV, 60 min (W)

USA: Al Montoya 36 SV, 58:23 min (L)

Officials

Ulf Ronnmark

Edited by Derek21

Actually Derek they were not playing on a bigger rink, the Ralph is NHL size.

Ah, thanks Sarge. Buccigross referred to it a few times on the broadcast which threw me off. He is right that in some college rinks the rink surface is wider.

Thanks for the correction RD on that college network thing. It will probably compete with college network.