A Friggin' Tomb

Jimmy Leeds

I hate to beat a dead horse, and I probably should be the last one to speak with my personal record of buying tickets for Devs games, but the attendance versus the Blues was no more than 9,000 people.

I finally got to a game, and I could not believe it. I've been going to games since '85, about 6 a year, and this was, by far, the smallest attendance I have ever seen.

I could hear the Blues on the bench and I was in the upper deck (first row) across the ice.

I counted fans in Section 214.....there were 42 people their.

I had to vent.

They are doomed without Newark.

Attendance is a problem throughout the league *kicks dead horse*

It's 'cause of increased ticket prices *drop-kicks dead horse*

It's 'cause of the economy *hits dead horse with baseball bat*

It's 'cause Bettman has ruined hockey *bodyslams dead horse*

Devils always draw poorly for weeknight games *ninjakicks dead horse*

*sets up "Kick a Dead Horse Stand*

Who's next?

yea, I was going to bring up the attendance in the game thread but I figured you guys have heard enough of me, so I backed down.

it was 11,000 and change in the boxscore, so it looks like they've been fudging the numbers again, along with every other team......

Buffalo got 9,966 against Ottawa (looked like 7,000)

Nashville, one of the NHL's biggest mistakes, got barely 10,000 against LA.

Florida had only 12,000 against philly.

I've been to probably.... 50 home games in my career as Devils fan. I figure about 5 games a year over the last 10 years. Maybe a bit more. Tonight was the SINGLE WORST crowd ever... combination of total lack of enthusiasm and low turnout. To give you an idea of HOW BAD it was...

I could hear the leather skate boots squeaking inside on the ice. I was in 213, row 19.

That would be the logical question. But then, when half the already piss-poor attendence emptied out with 1:37 to go (goalie pulled) before Brodeur's 58th career shutout at the tender young age of 31, more pressing questions were raised.

well, of course the economy has something to do with it, also this team is very boring, the scorers aren't scoring, weekday game. 1st place in the east is not enough to bring fans out, they don't care, we've seen many 1st place devils teams choke in the playoffs.

I miss going to the games. Before moving out to CO I would attend about five a year. The low attendance stinks, but since I am not good with the long range plans - always liked calling some friends half and hour before the game, driving to the arena and getting tickets. Now I have to plan ahead, wake up early the Saturday tickets go on sale for the season and deal with ticketmaster. Last year I was an hour late, and one game the Devils were out here was already sold out - luckily I will be going on February 11.

I agree with the dead horse thing, but I couldn't beleive how empty the arena has been looking on TV. Scary part is that since may of those lower bowl tix are sold, they can't even give the tix away. The REALLY scary part is that one of these years, this team will be lousy. What will the attendance be like then ?

All that said, I haven't schlepped my lazy butt out there. And I've been offered free tix three times.

Maybe they should try 7:05 starts for weekday games. The Isles do it and most people out here seem to like it. Given the choice between missing the first half-hour or the last, I'd rather miss the first.

Maybe they should try 7:05 starts for weekday games. The Isles do it and most people out here seem to like it. Given the choice between missing the first half-hour or the last, I'd rather miss the first.

When Lou Lam spoke in Howell a couple of months ago, he addressed this particular point.

He WANTS 7:05 starts, but because of the Turnpike and all the traffic at that time, they apparently have no chaoice but to start at 7:35.

"If" they go to Newark, the games will be at 7:05.

Go to a game and watch a player who's making more for that one game than you are in a year, or put food on the table for your family? Given the choice in the economy and lack of any decent pay raises which would you do?

Going to a hockey game is a luxury. Plain and simple. It can be done without.

Going to a hockey game is a luxury. Plain and simple. It can be done without.

Only too true.

I have to say from watching the game on Center Ice last night - I don't know how players who have been used to better fan involvement can enjoy playing in an environment like the CAA. I don't mean that it would affect their play or anything like that, at all. Just that they must miss a little noise now and then. ;)

It sounded like the teams were playing in a closed rink with no audience at all.