Devils make Qualifyin Offers

CMONPETEYD

Devils make qualifying offers to 10 players

July 31, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Devils made qualifying offers to 10 restricted free agents on Sunday, retaining their rights before the signing period begins on Monday.

Forwards Patrik Elias, Jeff Friesen, Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Jamie Langenbrunner, Viktor Kozlov, and defensemen Paul Martin, David Hale, Colin White, and Sean Brown were all qualified before the deadline Sunday.

Center Jan Hrdina was the only eligible player not to receive a qualifying offer, so he can become an unrestricted free agent on Monday.

NHL teams had until 5 p.m. EDT Sunday to make qualifying offers in order to keep negotiating rights with their restricted free agents.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-d...ov=ap&type=lgns

Edited by DevilMinder

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird... i click on that link now and the article is gone.....

what do you think it means now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It means RD screwed up cutting and pasting. The link in the first post doesn't work but the one you posted below it does.

Wow. Uh, Sean Brown's qualifier is okay - I mean, I know he stinks but whoever the Devils would sign to replace him wouldn't be any good either.

But why Viktor Kozlov? It's possible that Lou is looking at using Kozlov for the first 20 games and handing the reins over to Parise, or that Kozlov may succeed under Robinson, or that Kozlov's size is necessary.. let's not forget Kozlov is capable of 20-40-60 so he's not all bad. But this is perplexing. Maybe Kozlov as a right wing? He's played there in the past, in San Jose I believe he was a right wing..

Elias will not count under the cap for the first few games. If he sits out more than 24 days after the season begins, that money will not count against the cap, AFAIK. So that's at least another 600 to 700K.

Edited by Triumph