Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oilers sign Ulanov, Markkanen

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms on contracts with goaltender Jussi Markkanen and defenceman Igor Ulanov. Markkanen (6'0", 180 lbs.) has agreed to a two-year contract with the Oilers, while Ulanov (6'3", 220 lbs.) has come to terms on a one-year deal. | Free agent tracker

Markkanen returns to the Oilers for his fourth NHL season, having played with Lada Togliatti of the Russian Hockey League during the 2004-05 season. Playing in 54 of Lada Togliatti's 60 games, the 30-year-old Finn led all goaltenders with a 1.20 GAA as he allowed only 63 goals against in 3,157 minutes. His 11 shutouts were second in the league.

His outstanding play led Lada Togliatti to a second place finish in the Russian Hockey League with a 36-13-11 record. In 10 playoff games he compiled a 1.44 GAA with one shutout.

Markkanen split the 2003-04 season between the Oilers and the New York Rangers and was 10-14-3 with a 2.38 GAA, .918 save percentage and two shutouts in 33 games. After re-joining the Oilers, along with Petr Nedved, on March 3, 2004, Markkanen went 2-2-2 with a 1.83 GAA and .934 save percentage in seven games. In 69 career NHL games over three NHL seasons beginning in 2001-02, the Oilers fifth choice in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft is 23-26-8 with a .233 GAA and seven shutouts. With Edmonton, Markkanen has a 2.21 GAA with five shutouts and a record of 15-14-7 in 43 career games.

Ulanov returns for his 14th NHL season and fourth with Edmonton. The 35-year-old native of Krasnokamsk, Russia was the Oilers nominee for the Bill Masterton Trophy in 2003-04 when he scored 5-13-18 in 42 games. He led the Oilers in plus/minus with a career-high +19 and had 26 penalty minutes.

During his NHL career, which began with the Winnipeg Jets in 1991-92, Ulanov has scored 24-129-153 with 1,122 penalty minutes in 702 games. He has netted 1-4-5 with 84 penalty minutes in 39 Stanley Cup playoff games. In 123 games with Edmonton he has 8-36-44 with 128 minutes in penalties.

Now who tends net in Tampa?

Man, what a bummer to be a Lightning fan.

Win the Cup, then no season. Now a season & no Cup-winning goalie.

Oh Man.

Anybody think Tampa might try to trade for Thibault?

Anybody else think the blackhawks are going to be good.

Too bad Chicagoans still won't be able to see their home games unless they show up at the United Center...

I think its either that or Burke from phoenix. or checmanek...that would be an interesting move...but i can't see anyone else...irbe is spent, and everyone else is just a waste of money imo...

I think its either that or Burke from phoenix. or checmanek...that would be an interesting move...but i can't see anyone else...irbe is spent, and everyone else is just a waste of money imo...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

burke's a free agent. And he was awful last year. He's one of my fav goalies, but his age and knees and various injuries in general may have caught up to him...he started off the year very "burke-esque" with 3 straight wins, but he spiraled later in the year and only had 2 or 3 really good game with philly. Although the one game was taht 40 some save 1-1 tie against ottawa, that was an amazing game of goaltending...

i can't believe brad may went to the avs....thats one hell of a weird turn. he goes to the canucks bitter bitter rival...

My memory is a little fuzzy...did Burke go down with that bad ankle sprain that knocked him out for a good chunk of timelast season or was that two seasons ago?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactamundo. 02-03 season. The year after he was a vezina and hart candidate? i think...i know he was a candidate for one or both of them. He dragged the yotes kicking and screaming to the 6th seed of the playoffs. He got a really bad ankle injury that put him out for all but 23 or 25 game something like that. When he was healthy he was dominant though. His save percentage was 93 or something.

Edited by bruins4777

Capitals sign Ovechkin to three year deal

Alexander Ovechkin

TSN.ca Staff

8/5/2005 3:46:57 PM

The Washington Capitals have signed forward Alexander Ovechkin to a three year deal. Financial terms were not announced, but Ovechkin's annual salary in this entry-level contract can't exceed $984,200 US based on the league's new collective bargaining agreement.

Last month, Ovechkin opted out of his Russian contract with Avangard Omsk in order to sign with the Capitals.

The Capitals won the right to draft Ovechkin first overall in 2004 after winning the Draft Lottery ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who finished the previous season with the worst record in the NHL.

"Alexander is an incredibly gifted young player, and we are excited to have him join our club," said Capitals general manager George McPhee.

"He has been playing at an elite level for several seasons and is ready to prove himself in the NHL. We look forward to having him in a Capitals' uniform for many years. He has an infectious style of play and displays an exciting combination speed, finesse and power."

Ovechkin played for Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Super League during the NHL lockout this past season. Despite missing 23 games competing in other tournaments and recovering from injury, the 19 year old still ranked among the team leaders in goals, assists and points.

At the World Hockey Championships in Austria, Ovechkin gave a glimpse of what is to come, leading the team in goals with five and points with eight as the Russians captured the bronze medal. He was also named the top forward at the World Junior Championships, leading the team in goals and points en route to capturing the silver medal.

Tampa is in a little bit of trouble for this year. You dont lose "Bulin" Wall and not skip a beat. The team will undoubtedly see some more Goals Against this year.

But, they could not afford to pay Khabi that money.

They have St. Louis and Lecavelier coming up soon, and you know both of them will command top dollar, plus they just signed Richards to a new deal recently.

Actually, John Grahame is a pretty good goalie. He played really well when called upon, and it was quite a tough decision that Tampa made to stick with Khabibulan.

I've never been too impressed with Khabibulan, and Grahame seems like a real solid technical goalie.

Check that, the FLAMES have signed Boulton...Sportsnet.ca's FA Tracker is screwy, it's updating each signing with a picture of the Thrashers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didnt know Michael Boulton played hockey. Damn otis redding wannabe.

"but sir i was just trying to follow my dream!"

"a lot of people were just trying to follow their dream, hitler was just following a dream, MICHEAL BOLTON WAS JUST FOLLOWING HIS DREAM!"

i forget where that was from but every time i hear micheal boulton i think

1)office space

2)that line

karlovy vary, grahame is good...but he has yet to show himself a full season, i've been through this with you before :D

kariya to nashville...wow the team that injured him on the last game of the season when he was with the avs...wow. that came out of nowhere....very interesting...not sure what to think. Personally i think he's going to struggle a lot, he struggled a lot in the defensive ducks system, i don't know why he would go to a team that is bent on using its speed to play defense...they're not quite as "physical defensive" as ducks or devs, but they do play a heavy defensive style, which is a big reason david legwand hasn't put up great numbers...

i really thought they should have gone for a big center... now that i think about it holik would have been good for them, but kariya has such talent its hard for me to not like this signing.

Unrestricted free agent forward Paul Kariya has signed on with the Nashville Predators, TSN has learned.

The deal is worth $4.5 million US over two years.

And the Devs got McGillis for $4.4 over two years. Is it just me or is there something not quite right with this picture? :blink:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.